PlayStation 5 to Cost $500? Next-Generation Console May Be Priced Higher Due to Costly Parts

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
playstation-5-logo-blue-swirl-1024x576.jpg
Image: Sony

When Sony introduced the PlayStation 4 in 2013, it sucker punched Microsoft by revealing that the console would cost “only” $400 – $100 less than the Xbox One. Unfortunately for PS fans, it doesn’t look like history is going to repeat itself for the next round of systems, which are just around the corner.

Bloomberg is reporting that Sony is “struggling” with pricing its next-generation PlayStation 5 console due to its expensive hardware. There’s a lack of specifics here in terms of what exact parts are “costly,” but the Japanese giant may not be able to sell the console at anything lower than $450.

“Scarce components have pushed the manufacturing costs for Sony Corp.’s next PlayStation to around $450 per unit, forcing a...

Continue reading...

For what both are trying to offer I honestly don't believe $500 is too much to ask at this point. Something's got to give and the price point seems more likely but who knows maybe the competition is stiff enough to let them cut into profits till other costs go down.

Edit: And behind it all Nintendo is smiling because no matter what happens they've got their corner covered.

I agree, from what specs I have been seeing, that's not a bad price point.

Become a Patron!
Back