Post Your New Builds...

xGryfter

Sort-of-Regular
I know we have the "Post Your Gaming/Workstation Setup" thread (here https://forums.thefpsreview.com/threads/post-your-gaming-workstation-setup.2204/) but I thought it would be fun to have a place to post your new builds. Whether you're just listing the parts you just bought or you're posting step by step pics of your build process this (I'm hoping) will be the place to do that. It can also be a good place to post basic questions and give pointers. I'm also hoping it'll become one of those threads still around in 10 or 15 years so we can look back and laugh at all the ancient slow *** tech we were bragging about/showing off.

I should probably start.

I'm not building anything fancy and don't plan on overclocking much, if at all, just wanted a solid HTPC like build that I could game on and will fit in my entertainment center.

I'm reusing some components from my current sydtem and an older Silverstone Grandia Case.

Case: Silverstone Grandia

PSU: Seasonic FOCUS GM-850, 850W 80+ Gold

Mobo: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Prp Wi-Fi

CPU: AMD RYZEN 5 3600

GPU: Asus ROG STRIX GTX1080

RAM: 16GB G.SKILL Trident Z Neo DDR4 3600 (16-19-19-39 )

Storage:
OS Drive: Inland 256GB M.2
Game Drive: WD Blue 3D NAND 1TB M.2
Internal Storage: 3TB Western Digital Red
External Storage: USB 3.1 Media Sonic HDD Bay 20TB

Notes:
I'm holding off for Nvidia's 3 series cards before upgrading graphics
I only planned on buying a 650w PSU but the 650w and the 750w seemed to either be out of stock everywhere
and the 850w was under $130 so I figured I a may as well grab it.

Interesting thread idea - I'm in! Here's what I'm building for some upcoming AIO cooling reviews:

Case/Platform - Thermaltake Core P5 - https://www.newegg.com/space-gray-thermaltake-core-p-series-atx-open-frame-chassis/p/N82E16811133153
CPU - Intel 10980XE - LOL good luck finding it in retail. This is a spicy one.
Motherboard - Asus Prime X299 - https://www.amazon.com/Prime-X299-II-Motherboard-Lighting/dp/B07YD6SXF7/
RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws V 4x4GB DDR4 3200 RAM - https://www.newegg.com/g-skill-16gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820231976
Storage - WD Blue NVME 500GB - https://www.newegg.com/western-digital-blue-sn550-nvme-500gb/p/N82E16820250134

TBD:
PSU - Going to see what Paul has in stock as I seem to be short on PSUs with 2 CPU 8 pin wires here
GPU - Probably one of the previously reviewed cards like the XFX 5700 XT THICC II

New build parts I've collected so far.
Case: Ncase M1
Corsair SF750
240mm EKWB radiator (traded for it with an unused 280mm AIO I had lying around. Not sure if I will be using it quite yet, was planning on pairing it up with a Eisbaer LT pump).

Planning to transition over my R7 2700x, RAM, SSDs (2.5 and a m.2). My current 2TB storage SSHD, I'm going to throw into an external enclosure and keep the PC storage for games.

Currently contemplating finding a local trade for my RTX 2080 Super Gaming X Trio for another RTX 2080 Super but with smaller dimensions (to fit the Ncase). However, not really keen on meeting scrubs with coronavirus floating around. Probably just hold onto it until the 3000 series are out and sell it on ebay/local.

Was planning on having the build done sooner than later, but with work overtime being reduced to nil, new kitchen appliances already ordered, and a roof to be reshingled this summer - probably won't be until Fall (or later) before its complete.

Got my sf750 and Asus X570 Crosshair VIII board. By next month I should be installing my 3950x. If nothing comes Up in real life. 6850k is starting to feel old.
Only other plans would be to change out my monitors and begin the switch to custom LC for the ncase m1v1 build.

My server is still going through a case search process. They really dont make cases that hold many 3.5 inch drives until you switch to a rack mounted case which wouldn’t work for me.

Last edited:
Got it all put together this last weekend.

Had a few small build issues, I couldn't find any of my spacers/vibration dampeners for my fans so every fan is sucking air out. My new ones spacers/dampeners should be here Saturday or Sunday so I can fix that then. My 256GB M.2 SSD was DOA, unfortunately I bought it last year for my old rig so I can't return it. I thought the reason it wasn't working was because those older motherboards didn't like booting from their M.2 drives. Nope, turns out the drive was just bad so I had to use my 1tb M.2 that I was going to use as my game drive as my OS drive. Thankfully that Installed perfectly. Now I'm just waiting for my 2nd 1tb M.2 to get here. Not happy about having to spend an extra $120 but it'll be better long term. It gives me room on my OS drive to install Windows Store/Games Pass games so Microsoft's stupid file structure system doesn't mess up my other SSD.

So far it's running beautifully. I'm still using my old GTX1080 so there's only been a few FPS increase in my games but everything else is buttery smooth and super responsive. I hadn't realized how sluggish my old system had become.

It's an HTPC with very limited room so it's far from the prettiest build but I'll post a couple pics this weekend when I put in my other SSD and fix the fans.

Become a Patron!
Back