Prey Developer Working on Unannounced Project

We must be the only two people in the entire PC Game universe who didn't really care for Witcher, probably for different reasons though.

Personally, I just struggle to get into 3rd person titles.
Same here. No issue with 3rd person titles, just couldn’t get into Witcher, any of them. Or Skyrim - which is odd because I liked Morrowwind.

I enjoyed 2017 more than I thought I would. It took a while for me to get into it simply because the beginning hours of the game are very uninteresting and it can get frustrating while you are lacking abilities. I stuck with it and it pulled me in, but it took around 4-6 hours of game time to get to that point. I had the same issue getting into the game as I did with Dishonored. If there is one thing Arkane needs to work on it's first impressions.
I'm thinking that maybe I'll give it another shot at some point. I basically stopped in that 4-6 hour range.
There is definitely some animosity in the community pointed at Bethesda for effectively killing the sequel to the original game. Basically, they gave Human Head Studios very little resources while imposing unrealistic deadlines along the way, and used the excuse that the developer was not delivering on key milestones to kill the project. The saga is well-documented, and as with every story Bethesda sees things that occurred during that time differently.

It is a good game, but it seems like a kick in the nuts that Bethesda would bring the name back when people were well-aware of the goings on with the original game.
I linked to a great article in the story about the lengthy development process and sequel. Fascinating to say the least.

Mainly, I'm a simple guy when it comes to my games. I don't need or want complex crafting systems, gearing systems or skill trees. I'm not interested in "character builds" or any of that stuff. I just want to play a game, shoot some stuff and occasionally enjoy a good story and overall narrative experience.
I'm pretty much the same with any genre I play. Just not into the grind anymore or learning new systems for every game.

Yes, we didn't get into them for very different reasons. Mainly, I'm a simple guy when it comes to my games. I don't need or want complex crafting systems, gearing systems or skill trees. I'm not interested in "character builds" or any of that stuff. I just want to play a game, shoot some stuff and occasionally enjoy a good story and overall narrative experience.

We are a bit of polar opposites in that regard.

As long as it is well designed and flows well, I have never experienced complexity in a game I didn't like. (Except maybe ARMA. Just too many **** keybinds). I love getting lost in highly complex interactions and choices. The more the better.

Some people just like gibbing monsters in Doom. Nothing wrong with that. To each their own.

The first game I could not get into at all. Have not yet tried the second. The third was able to grab and hold my interest from the start, though it was rough for me to get used to the combat at first.

A friend of mine was recommending the Witcher series for many years, so a few years ago (2016?) when I was in between titles in my backlog I decided to give it a try. The first game I figured was a bit old at that point, and The Witcher 2 was on sale on steam for like $3.99 or something like that, so I bit.

I gave it an honest try, but according to Steam I only lasted about 20 minutes.

The fact that I really don't like 3rd person titles and really hate all things "fantasy" wound up just being too much to overcome.

Yar, good memories of the first Prey and really wanted to see a true sequel with the way the original ended.

Like others here, tried to get into the new Prey, but it couldn't hold my attention. I'm sure at some point I'll go back to it - the Dishonored games took awhile to 'hook' me as well, but once they did - I was all in.

Yar, good memories of the first Prey and really wanted to see a true sequel with the way the original ended.

Like others here, tried to get into the new Prey, but it couldn't hold my attention. I'm sure at some point I'll go back to it - the Dishonored games took awhile to 'hook' me as well, but once they did - I was all in.

I wonder if many people would hvae more fun with the 2017 Prey if it just had a different name. I think people see "Prey" and wind up expecting somethign it is not, but if they gave it an honest try with the understanding that it shares nothing at all with the original Prey, they'd have a better time.

Interesting.

Maybe expectations from those familiar with the previous title with that name served to poison the well?

I really thought it was a spectacular title. Beautiful, suspenseful, with an interesting story. Best I played that year.
I haven't played the original Prey (although I own a retail copy of it since release, somehow just never got around to it).
So no poisoning the well, I disliked Prey because it seemed like a System Shock clone that did everything worse than System Shock. And at that point I already was through Bioshock which was the same deal. I just couldn't be bothered to do another inferior clone. It wasn't a terrible game, it just didn't interest me at all. Much like Doom 2016.

A friend of mine was recommending the Witcher series for many years, so a few years ago (2016?) when I was in between titles in my backlog I decided to give it a try. The first game I figured was a bit old at that point, and The Witcher 2 was on sale on steam for like $3.99 or something like that, so I bit.

I gave it an honest try, but according to Steam I only lasted about 20 minutes.

The fact that I really don't like 3rd person titles and really hate all things "fantasy" wound up just being too much to overcome.

Turns out I completely misremembered that.

According to my records it was 2011, not 2016, and the game was the original Witcher, Enhanced edition, not Witcher 2. The experience was the same though. I tried, but couldn't.

According to my records it was 2011, not 2016, and the game was the original Witcher, Enhanced edition, not Witcher 2. The experience was the same though. I tried, but couldn't.

You should give one of the newer ones a try then. The Witcher EE was very rough (the last two acts especially so). But the sequels improved the previous game tremendously.

I'd recommend jumping straight to Witcher 3 (you don't really need to know the previous games) and giving that game a whirl. If it manages to get its hooks in you, you'll be in for a good time.

I wonder if many people would hvae more fun with the 2017 Prey if it just had a different name. I think people see "Prey" and wind up expecting somethign it is not, but if they gave it an honest try with the understanding that it shares nothing at all with the original Prey, they'd have a better time.

Yar, definitely agree here. Giving it the exact same name did the title no favours. Even if they wanted to set it in the same 'universe', at least give it its own name. 'Mimic', for example.

As Seymour stated, there is a big difference between Witcher 1 and 2/3. They went from Bioware's Aurora Engine (from Neverwinter Nights) to their own Red Engine. HUGE difference between what was supposed to be a 3D update to the Infinity Engine (Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, etc) to a custom-made engine tailored toward the open-world type of game.

Still might not be your thing. I was hooked with Witcher 1 despite the rough edges. Slogging through the swamp outside Vizima does get tiresome, though.

Last edited:
We must be the only two people in the entire PC Game universe who didn't really care for Witcher, probably for different reasons though.
Then I must be in a completely different universe :p

I don't need or want complex crafting systems, gearing systems or skill trees. I'm not interested in "character builds" or any of that stuff. I just want to play a game,
I used to be like that I avoided everything even with a hint of an inventory or skill system.

I still don't need them, but I don't mind anymore, what I need is the narrative experience, I can't just play a game for the sake of it.

Then I must be in a completely different universe :p

I used to be like that I avoided everything even with a hint of an inventory or skill system.

I still don't need them, but I don't mind anymore, what I need is the narrative experience, I can't just play a game for the sake of it.

I don't necessarily avoid that stuff, but it's almost always something I see as a negative that a game has to overcome with its other gameplay mechanics and story. Games with inventory systems generally pad their completion time due to the amount of tedious inventory management you have to do. Cyberpunk 2077 and Mass Effect 1 are fantastic examples of this. Both are basically **** when it comes to that.

Become a Patron!
Back