ProxMox - Anyone have experience with this Hypervisor?

Space_Ranger

Semi-regular
I just setup a Proxmox node in my lab, and I'm impressed with it so far. I've gotten both Linux VM's and Windows VM's installed, but I haven't successfully migrated an existing ESXi guest over to ProxMox yet without some troubling performance issues.

Anyone have much experience with the platform? If so, how are you handling the backup and restore of guests on the node?

Thanks,

- Space

Nope. I've never even heard of it.

With COVID19 decimating our organization, I have to come up with Open Sourced solutions for our IT Infrastructure.. :(

I have yet to use it but all I heard was good things about it at my last office.

I realize this is old, but I just discovered this subforum.

I've been using Proxmox since I ditched ESXi in ~2015-2016 some time (can't remember now)

I run my server with ZFS for the storage, which makes snapshots and backups of the drive images easy, as it creates them under ZFS by default. So I can just snapshot them and use ZFS send/recv to send the data to my backup server. I have not played much with backing up settings. I probably should learn how to do that, and probably will soon, as I am preparing for a server upgrade, for which I am considering doing a clean install, exporting everything and re-importing it, but thus far I haven't bothered, as I figure that is easy to rec4eate. The data on the drive images - however - is not.

I need to dive back into this project soon. That Backup Server might be the solution to my problems of before..

Become a Patron!
Back