PS5 to Get a Optical Drive Able to Use 100 GB Discs!

Peter_Brosdahl

Staff member
PS5-Optical-1024x576.jpg

Last week it was announced that the PS5 would be getting a new haptic controller. Well Blu-Ray.com has announced something also exciting. Evidently Sony will at last be including a 4k Blu-Ray Disc Player. Specifically they mention it will be capable of playing back 100GB discs.

I think many around the world will share the same sentiment in saying it’s about time. Someone probably realized how much of the market they lost out on when the roles were reversed between Microsoft and Sony when Sony didn’t include one with the PS4 and Microsoft did with X-Box. It was a strange call considering the precedence’s that Sony had made with the PS2’s DVD player and then the PS3’s blu-ray player. Perhaps it was because the PS4 used a mirror trick for 4k instead of native 4k?

Well the console wars seem to be back on for the next generation and honestly things are looking a bit exciting. Are you thinking about getting one in the next round?

Cool for 4K UHD discs.

Doesn't matter much for gaming titles, because Day 0 patches are inevitably the size of the entire game install anyway.

I will probably get a PS5, not Day 1 preorder, but once it has enough gaming momentum for me to make the shift (probably first exclusive that I really want). I've enjoyed the PS4 a good deal, I still don't understand their neglect of 4K UHD support, but it wasn't enough to make me go out and buy a specific player or a XB1.

Discs? Pfffffft! Digital downloads for games and mah' Plex for movie fixes I don't get with streaming/cable, etc .... (wife works at Spectrum/Charter now so we get free cable ..woopdee-dooo) 🥴

I'll be getting one given the 4k blu-ray player ability and backward compatibility. I'm also digging the adjustable resistance of the trigger buttons announced for the controller. It should make racing games a bit less twitchy if done right.

now they can almost load a full game on a disc.
That was my first thought. So they can get 2/3 of the installation on a disc!! I'm surprised they haven't come up with much larger capacities on optical discs at the moment.

I think this will be interesting to see and how it impacts the sales will also prove interesting. As a consumer I don't care. This is the first generation of consoles in a long time that I don't give two farts if I get a current one or not.

So my purchase will probably be around when some big sale comes along.

Being an XBox guy .. I wonder if Microsoft is going to license this for their next console.. I'd opt for no disc drive option if it would save me some moola ... either console should come with a 2TB hdd/ssd minimum though with either easy access to upgrade the hdd/ssd or a slot to "plug in" another drive. ..anyhooo, that is neither here nor there ..

This is on my serious consideration list. Haven't had a console in the house since PS2 and the first Xbox.

I've been less than impressed with either of the UHD players that we have due to their limited app ecosystems. I've read great things about the Xbox but not overly interested in its games since I can get most on the PC. I had some interest in a number of Sony exclusives plus very curious as to how their new features and tech will fare. We're happy to stream things that are of little consequence like t.v. shows or movies I'm barely interested in but if it's something we really want the best visual/audio experience then physical media is still the way to go.

Become a Patron!
Back