Ransomware Group Claims NVIDIA Hacked It in Retaliation for Cyber Attack

Peter_Brosdahl

Staff member
NVIDIA-Logo-Circuit-Design-1024x576.jpg
Image: NVIDIA

A ransomware group by the name of Lapsus$ is claiming that NVIDIA has hacked its systems in retaliation for a recent cyber attack on the chipmaker. It was reported on February 25 that NVIDIA’s internal systems had been “completely compromised.” At the time, it was believed that the attack might have been a result of Russian cyber warfare. Now it appears that a known ransomware group, who is believed to be based somewhere in South America, is claiming responsibility for the attack, and it has, in turn, become victims themselves.

Lapsus$ members say they awoke after the attack on NVIDIA to find their systems were being encrypted...

Continue reading...

As vigilante as that sounds - is what nVidia did legal?

As vigilante as that sounds - is what nVidia did legal?
All Nvidia has to do is simply remain silent. Don't respond to the accusation. Who is actually going to investigate it?

All Nvidia has to do is simply remain silent. Don't respond to the accusation. Who is actually going to investigate it?
On further thought though. IF this is true this means thst Nvidia actively employs a group capable of hacking systems. Suggesting thst if Nvidia wanted to they could say... potentially havk and damage a competitors development arm causing them delays. Potentially stealing development data around competing products.

My inner tabletop gamer nerd that plays pen and paper rpgs is all excited about the coming corporate wars!! My grandfather roll thinks maybe sending my grandkids to CHIBA for Gene therapy so they can get next Gen cybernetics and be ready for what is coming might be wise. ;)

If it's actually from South America, you could get governments involved - just because they can, looking for a payout.

Sad to say, and we've covered a couple of the stories so far but it seems to be true about them having made backups. Day by day they're keeping to their threat of releasing things. Quite a bit has already been put out there.

While I dont care to discuss the legality or ethics of doing so, I wonder....

Would enabling and allowing legal entities, like corporations, or even those individuals well off (or skilled enough to do so), to counter 'hack' against any unauthorized (illegal) attacks on their networks and computer systems, change or reduce the number of yearly incidents of Data Breaches, including ransomware, stolen credit card/personal info, and the like. Additionally would such counter attacks make the 'hacking' business less profitable or more difficult enough to significantly reduce the number of players out there?

Additionally would such counter attacks make the 'hacking' business less profitable or more difficult enough to significantly reduce the number of players out there?
Interesting idea. We may get a chance to see how similar ideas play out - Texas has the vigilante anti-abortion bill. and California is trying to pass a similar anti-gun bill. Not saying hacking is the same thing as abortion or gun control, but we are starting to see some vigilante bills be introduced, hacking could fall under something like that very easily.

I use the term vigilante somewhat loosely here - in the US with these bills it really pertains to civil liability, which has much looser standards than criminal liability and easier to bring cases to trial for cash awards - that isn't exactly the same thing as "counter hacking" - but it's not like you can go out and counter-abortion someone either, so maybe it's the closest analog we'll see, as imperfect as it is.

Aren't their some stand your ground laws in the US? Like where you can shoot a burglar? if you are getting robbed digitally I don't see in that case why you could not retaliate in some manner.

As someone who thinks these ransomware hackers should be hunted down, rounded up, drug into the middle of the street and shot.... I'm fine with Nvidia doing this.

Become a Patron!
Back