Razer Blade 15 Laptops with GeForce RTX 30 Series GPUs Announced

Peter_Brosdahl

Staff member
razer-blade-15-key-visual-1024x576.jpg

Razer has announced its new Razer Blade 15 gaming laptops, which come in Advanced and Base configurations with FHD 144/360 Hz, QHD 165/240 Hz, or 4K OLED Touch displays, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 30 series GPUs, and 6/8-core Intel Core processors. Storage options include a 512/1 TB SSD with an open M.2 PCIe 3.0 slot (expandable up to 4 TB). The base model has 16 GB of DDR4 memory, while the Advanced is available with either 16 or 32 GB DDR4 memory. Memory is expandable up to 64 GB.

razer-blade-15-advanced-edition-top-bottom-1200-675-1024x576.png

Advanced ModelBase ModelOSWindows 10 HomeWindows 10 HomeProcessor8-Core Intel® Core™ i7-10875H 8 Cores (2.3GHz / 5.1GHz)6-Core Intel® Core™ i7-10750H 6 Core (2.6GHz / 5.0GHz)GraphicsUp to GeForce...

Continue reading...

You know, it would be nice if they satisfied the desktop GPU market before diverting parts to this mobile crap.

You know, it would be nice if they satisfied the desktop GPU market before diverting parts to this mobile crap.
Too true but the Advanced model(8c/16t CPU) with a 3080 paired to a 240 Hz QHD panel has my attention. If it wasn't $2899.99 I'd have already ordered one. Something like that will do well with either straight up rasterization or ray tracing + DLSS for years to come. That's a mobile that can rival many a desktop. Just too expensive though.

Too true but the Advanced model(8c/16t CPU) with a 3080 paired to a 240 Hz QHD panel has my attention. If it wasn't $2899.99 I'd have already ordered one. Something like that will do well with either straight up rasterization or ray tracing + DLSS for years to come. That's a mobile that can rival many a desktop. Just too expensive though.

I guess my take about "gaming" laptops is that even if they could rival a desktop in every single performance measure, I wouldn't want one. It's just an ergonomic catastrophe to try to play any game on a laptop, and if you are going to hook up external mouse, keyboard and monitor to it anyway, why not just get a desktop?

I guess my take about "gaming" laptops is that even if they could rival a desktop in every single performance measure, I wouldn't want one. It's just an ergonomic catastrophe to try to play any game on a laptop, and if you are going to hook up external mouse, keyboard and monitor to it anyway, why not just get a desktop?
Because it's much more difficult to set up a desktop in the car, or a hotel room.

Because it's much more difficult to set up a desktop in the car, or a hotel room.

Why would I want to play games in a car, or in a hotel room?

I'll just wait until I get home.

I actually once built a DIY Vidock to attach an external desktop GPU to my laptop for travel purposes. The setup performed much better than I expected, given that it was limited to Gen 2 PCIe 1x via Expresscard.

I took it with me on a business trip once, and hooked it up to the TV in my hotel room.

The problem was not the performance, but rather how awful the setup in the hotel room was. Network was awful, and the ergonomic position was terrible.

I decided it was better to just wait until I got home to play at my proper desk.

Isn't that why Stadia and GeForce Now exist?

I'm with Zarathustra - even if I could get one of those now, I wouldn't really want one. "Gaming laptop" is an oxymoron. Sure it can probably hit those fantastic desktop speeds.. but it's either
a) For only a few seconds before the laptop gets so hot it has to throttle down to something inferior
or
b) It weighs so much and has so many fans screaming that the word "laptop" can only be loosely applied to it.

And in either of those cases:
c) battery life will be for crap while gaming, so it needs to be plugging in, and yeah - all that stuff Zara says about peripherals
d) The built-in monitor is only going to be that big...

And your paying more than what an equivalent desktop would run for all of that. Sure you can carry it into a hotel room, then hook it up to everything anyway... but yeah... for all of that... no thanks.

Isn't that why Stadia and GeForce Now exist?

I'm with Zarathustra - even if I could get one of those now, I wouldn't really want one. "Gaming laptop" is an oxymoron. Sure it can probably hit those fantastic desktop speeds.. but it's either
a) For only a few seconds before the laptop gets so hot it has to throttle down to something inferior
or
b) It weighs so much and has so many fans screaming that the word "laptop" can only be loosely applied to it.

And in either of those cases:
c) battery life will be for crap while gaming, so it needs to be plugging in, and yeah - all that stuff Zara says about peripherals
d) The built-in monitor is only going to be that big...

And your paying more than what an equivalent desktop would run for all of that. Sure you can carry it into a hotel room, then hook it up to everything anyway... but yeah... for all of that... no thanks.
I agree on all these fronts but I'm still in awe of how much they can pack into such a small device. The original 2080 TI FE weighed in at around 3lbs. This is just under 5lbs and it's an entire system including the display and we're only one gen past Turing. I find that really impressive but I do agree with the various issues with gaming on a laptop. Another issue routinely seen with laptops is the ridiculous pairing of displays and GPUs. So often something stupid like 4K and 2060/2070 which we all know will go nowhere fast. Even if the mobile 3080 performs at a desktop 3070 rate, running on a 240 Hz, 2560x1440, panel should look great plus factor in the PPI for being 15.6" and it sweetens the IQ side of it all.

Become a Patron!
Back