Recommend a DVI-D video card

Ditchinit

Quasi-regular
I'm looking for a reasonably priced new (non-used) video card, but the kicker is that it must have DVI-D out, even if it isn't current gen. In fact, it most likely won't be current gen or even recent past gen. Maybe two generations back? I don't know.

I think team green (via ASUS) has a 2060 12 gb that seems to have DVI-D out, but finding a reasonably priced one is a challenge, and sorting through the list of cards that come with just DVI out (not DVI-D) is also a challenge. I'm not sure what team red or team blue has available, but I'm guessing someone here might.

And before anyone asks, "why not use an adapter?", I've tried a couple and they died within a week or two ... so not a technology route I feel particularly interested in pursuing.

Any recommendations aside from the ASUS card previously mentioned?

There are some 2070s and 2060 Supers with DVI but you are gonna pay a LOT for them new
Refurbished or used is going to be the best option as you can buy multiple for the price of a new one

More context is needed here - there isn't "just DVI" -> there's DVI-D and DVI-I. DVI-D carries ONLY a digital signal (and can generally directly convert to HDMI/DP with relative ease) and DVI-I carries the digital PLUS analog (that easily converts to VGA - basically from the 4 pins arranged in a square that's missing from DVI-D).

On the DVI-I front, GPUs dropped the analog RAMDAC beyond the GTX 900/TitanX/R9 280 series cards.

DVI-D shouldn't need an active adapter to convert to HDMI or DP - have you just tried a straight up passive cable?

There are plain HDMI to DVI-D cables/dongles, that should do the trick, I have both and they work flawlessly. Plus they are really cheap.

I've been using this for almost 3 years now with one of my secondary monitors: https://www.monoprice.com/product?p...ected=0&turntoFromRebelmail&turntoflow=review
Haven't had any issues so far. But this is an active cable, and as @David_Schroth said, a passive cable should be good enough.

The last two cards I had that included DVI was an EVGA GeForce GTX 970 (2x DVI-I) and an EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti (1x DVI-D). That was EVGA's doing though. I'd be surprised if any modern cards from the last few generations come with DVI, even ones from AIBs.

More context is needed here - there isn't "just DVI" -> there's DVI-D and DVI-I. DVI-D carries ONLY a digital signal (and can generally directly convert to HDMI/DP with relative ease) and DVI-I carries the digital PLUS analog (that easily converts to VGA - basically from the 4 pins arranged in a square that's missing from DVI-D).

On the DVI-I front, GPUs dropped the analog RAMDAC beyond the GTX 900/TitanX/R9 280 series cards.

DVI-D shouldn't need an active adapter to convert to HDMI or DP - have you just tried a straight up passive cable?

More context? Sure. When I referred to "just DVI" I was referring to marketing spec sheets available at online shopping locations and the difficulty sorting the wheat from the chaff (so to speak), not actual you know, technical spec sheets. I apologize for the confusion. When I google up "DVI" or even "DVI-D", some of the links will be to cards advertised as having a "DVI" output port which makes them questionable whether they will in fact output DVI-D.

So here's the deal. I have an operating DELL 3007 WFP (or WPF or whatever they call it - the classic with an A02 panel) that only has DVI-D input. If the source is DVI and isn't DVI-D, then the monitor displays only half resolution (1280x800) vs. its full resolution (2560x1600). I want to use this monitor in a second, non-gaming or possibly lite gaming, computer at its full resolution. I used to use it with a 980ti, and that card had a good life but eventually died. I am looking for a potentially newer generation card with DVI-D output. I'm not terribly concerned with the flavor (except no sketchy aftermarket brands), but I'd prefer one available a reasonable cost. Up to $300? Maybe depending on specs. Up to $800? No.

I've almost always been a team green owner with exception to an early team red card that we shall never speak of again and which soured me on that brand altogether, and except in the early days before team green and team red were things (e.g., Matrox, 3DFX). I do not have a good sense of equivalence between the different team's card generations because I've not paid attention to team red or blues historical offerings. Yes, I know team blue is relatively new in the field, but I still haven't given their offerings a second thought. Now I'm willing to do so if they have a product that meets my needs.

My primary computer has a 3090ti, and its output ports are 3x DP and 1 HDMI. At first I tried a passive DP->DVI cable, but that resulted in half resolution. As mentioned in the original post, I also tried a couple different active adapters (my research into the problem led me to believe that was the required solution), and both of them failed within a couple weeks from installation. I have since upgraded to a 32" 4k monitor for my main computer that happily co-exists with my 3090ti, but I still want to get more useful life out of the old DELL monitor.

There are some 2070s and 2060 Supers with DVI but you are gonna pay a LOT for them new
Refurbished or used is going to be the best option as you can buy multiple for the price of a new one

That's my observation, too. I was doing research this past weekend and found a 2060 Super for pennies short of $800. The 2060 12gb mentioned in the original post is reportedly a 5% less capable card, but is also less than half that price. I understand compromises may need to be made. I'm not looking for the must-have latest and greatest power epeen displaying full awesomeness. I just want a reasonably priced GPU with DVI-D output.

There are plain HDMI to DVI-D cables/dongles, that should do the trick, I have both and they work flawlessly. Plus they are really cheap.

If you can provide a link to a reliable product, I'll consider it, but until then I'd rather avoid more sketchy adapters.

I've been using this for almost 3 years now with one of my secondary monitors: https://www.monoprice.com/product?p...ected=0&turntoFromRebelmail&turntoflow=review
Haven't had any issues so far. But this is an active cable, and as @David_Schroth said, a passive cable should be good enough.

The last two cards I had that included DVI was an EVGA GeForce GTX 970 (2x DVI-I) and an EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti (1x DVI-D). That was EVGA's doing though. I'd be surprised if any modern cards from the last few generations come with DVI, even ones from AIBs.

Thank you for the monoprice link. I'll consider it. As mentioned, I'd rather skip the adapter and I'm willing to buy an older generation card if that's what it takes to get 1:1 out to in with DVI-D. The ASUS 2060 12gb could work since that one was clearly marketed as DVI-D output capable. My original post was to tap into the knowledge pool about the other team's potential offerings of which I'm woefully ignorant. Maybe there is an AMD or Intel card I should consider instead of the 2060 12gb. Doesn't hurt to ask. :)

Ah! OK. So you're looking for a dual link DVI-D capable cable/adapter/GPU for that monitor.

Single link is limited to 1080p resolution (well, actually 1200p), dual link lets you hit what that monitor can do.

More Google foo on this subject says... a passive HDMI to dual link cable is not possible - active adapter is required. Looks about the same for DP to dual link DVI. From what I remember of these active adapters, most of them needed some form of external power source (i.e. USB plug) to be decently reliable.

Have you taken a look at EVGA's B-Stock bin? I'm seeing an 8400 GS in there for under $30 (though, you'd probably regret that decision). I'm seeing a 2060 with DVI @ $340, which still isn't great, but is better than what your earlier research found.

Ah! OK. So you're looking for a dual link DVI-D capable cable/adapter/GPU for that monitor.

Single link is limited to 1080p resolution (well, actually 1200p), dual link lets you hit what that monitor can do.

More Google foo on this subject says... a passive HDMI to dual link cable is not possible - active adapter is required. Looks about the same for DP to dual link DVI. From what I remember of these active adapters, most of them needed some form of external power source (i.e. USB plug) to be decently reliable.

Have you taken a look at EVGA's B-Stock bin? I'm seeing an 8400 GS in there for under $30 (though, you'd probably regret that decision). I'm seeing a 2060 with DVI @ $340, which still isn't great, but is better than what your earlier research found.

Ah yes, dual link. Thanks for the clarification. I knew that, but it wasn't until you wrote it (and I read it) that I remembered I needed to make that distinction. This is the card my original search unearthed. It's a possibility. I just didn't want to pull the trigger if there was a possible better deal to be had on one of AMD's products that I know nothing about or even enough to perform a reasonable search.

[edit to add] I just poked into the EVGA B-stock list, and they have a 2060 12gb but for a penny short of $400. The linked ASUS card of similar type new is $334 so probably a better deal overall.

Last edited:
On the Red team front, your need a 5700 or 5700 Xt to beat it or a 5600 Xt to land slightly below it. I do not recall any with DVI connectors though, but I also haven't tried researching it yet...

On the Red team front, your need a 5700 or 5700 Xt to beat it or a 5600 Xt to land slightly below it. I do not recall any with DVI connectors though, but I also haven't tried researching it yet...

Yeah, a quick google search didn't yield any with DVI output. Thanks for the suggestions.

Oh there is also a DVI-A. Rare, but it definitely exists. Furthermore, DVI-D and DVI-I will absolutely need an active dual-link adapter to convert to HDMI or DisplayPort or Mini-DP if you need to go beyond 1920x1080.

I can confirm that the last card I could really use with my Dell 3007WFP-HC's was the Maxwell based TitanX.

More context? Sure. When I referred to "just DVI" I was referring to marketing spec sheets available at online shopping locations and the difficulty sorting the wheat from the chaff (so to speak), not actual you know, technical spec sheets. I apologize for the confusion. When I google up "DVI" or even "DVI-D", some of the links will be to cards advertised as having a "DVI" output port which makes them questionable whether they will in fact output DVI-D.

So here's the deal. I have an operating DELL 3007 WFP (or WPF or whatever they call it - the classic with an A02 panel) that only has DVI-D input. If the source is DVI and isn't DVI-D, then the monitor displays only half resolution (1280x800) vs. its full resolution (2560x1600). I want to use this monitor in a second, non-gaming or possibly lite gaming, computer at its full resolution. I used to use it with a 980ti, and that card had a good life but eventually died. I am looking for a potentially newer generation card with DVI-D output. I'm not terribly concerned with the flavor (except no sketchy aftermarket brands), but I'd prefer one available a reasonable cost. Up to $300? Maybe depending on specs. Up to $800? No.

I've almost always been a team green owner with exception to an early team red card that we shall never speak of again and which soured me on that brand altogether, and except in the early days before team green and team red were things (e.g., Matrox, 3DFX). I do not have a good sense of equivalence between the different team's card generations because I've not paid attention to team red or blues historical offerings. Yes, I know team blue is relatively new in the field, but I still haven't given their offerings a second thought. Now I'm willing to do so if they have a product that meets my needs.

My primary computer has a 3090ti, and its output ports are 3x DP and 1 HDMI. At first I tried a passive DP->DVI cable, but that resulted in half resolution. As mentioned in the original post, I also tried a couple different active adapters (my research into the problem led me to believe that was the required solution), and both of them failed within a couple weeks from installation. I have since upgraded to a 32" 4k monitor for my main computer that happily co-exists with my 3090ti, but I still want to get more useful life out of the old DELL monitor.

That's my observation, too. I was doing research this past weekend and found a 2060 Super for pennies short of $800. The 2060 12gb mentioned in the original post is reportedly a 5% less capable card, but is also less than half that price. I understand compromises may need to be made. I'm not looking for the must-have latest and greatest power epeen displaying full awesomeness. I just want a reasonably priced GPU with DVI-D output.

If you can provide a link to a reliable product, I'll consider it, but until then I'd rather avoid more sketchy adapters.

Thank you for the monoprice link. I'll consider it. As mentioned, I'd rather skip the adapter and I'm willing to buy an older generation card if that's what it takes to get 1:1 out to in with DVI-D. The ASUS 2060 12gb could work since that one was clearly marketed as DVI-D output capable. My original post was to tap into the knowledge pool about the other team's potential offerings of which I'm woefully ignorant. Maybe there is an AMD or Intel card I should consider instead of the 2060 12gb. Doesn't hurt to ask. :)

MIne is a generic hdmi-dvi cable, actually I hadn't realized its dual-link till just now. Since I've used it to drive a 4k display dvi 2 hdmi from a GTX 1070Ti and also a 2k display hdmi 2 dvi from an RTX 3070Ti

Btw AFAIK the 10 series was tha last to officially support dvi, dont know about AMD.

Again, no need for active adapters.

Yeah, it's going to be a tough hunt for anything new/modern but just adding my two cents that yep, DVI-D dual link is what you're looking for. In my experience with NV cards, they usually supported it out of the box for many manufacturers but they didn't always clearly indicate it. I was using that connector from 900, 10-series, and some 20-series, back in the day when I was gaming in 3D at 1080p 120 Hz, with GIGABYE, ASUS, and EVGA cards. It was required back then for my ASUS 3D display and I ended up learning about all the different ones that @David_Schroth mentioned above since even the cables, while looking mostly similar, can be very different.

I also know what you mean about adapters. I went through a few as well for my laptop that had two 980m in SLI and mDP. I was able to find an active adapter for that (powered through USB) that worked great but could be PIA when/if I had to reset it after disconnecting it.

Might be an unpopular opinion; but perhaps replacing the monitor with something newer/better would be a better option?

I mean I know that 30" Dell was a really, really good monitor back when it first came out which was what? Nearly 20 years ago?

edit
Not sure what reasonable price equals but here is a zotac 2070 with DVI-D (not sure if dual link which is what you need)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1950650030...Chi027gO++KwgKpc44We8VGg==|tkp:Bk9SR6DPt9jLYg

Might be an unpopular opinion; but perhaps replacing the monitor with something newer/better would be a better option?

I mean I know that 30" Dell was a really, really good monitor back when it first came out which was what? Nearly 20 years ago?

edit
Not sure what reasonable price equals but here is a zotac 2070 with DVI-D (not sure if dual link which is what you need)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/195065003013?hash=item2d6ac7bc05:g:XUYAAOSwkMhihYQt&amdata=enc:AQAIAAAAwDXc5zC4HWTWFBc2VXkOJj6hl81cUttU8wi18EbdI8ow7zBHWMqmZEze1zrCXhK9LUrTdNg2MGewPVJloAbzwp2YIryCwkf/elMAr4AMR1RBF4Yiap30+EFU4DuzRAAk8cenzhG0+zX+nLonJIWIUPDnb8XLb3FRwNEwskWXVsSTgqYO7WrnEee0OQafgeQWLQ/jKTUItA6LJv1/XnbPg4F7uiuCaV3s6uXxy+GYVWChi027gO++KwgKpc44We8VGg==|tkp:Bk9SR6DPt9jLYg

I guess if a monitor is on the same ballpark as getting a new card, it could be a viable option.

Last edited:
Thank you, all, for the suggestions. Sorry for the late response; I went out of town for a long weekend.

I ended up pulling the trigger on the previously linked ASUS card after not finding a comparable AMD card having DVI-D output. It should arrive in a week.

Become a Patron!
Back