Red Dead Redemption II Performance Preview

I'm curious what you experienced to make 48fps not playable? Were the minimum dips causing a slideshow experience in game? Was your sync'ed monitor not able to sync low enough? Perhaps I'm jaded but I still remember when 30FPS was considered fine for gaming performance and I fail to see the NEED to have 60fps.

The average was "48" which means the minimums were at unacceptable levels. You have to understand that every game behaves differently and that certain levels of performance in different games are acceptable or unacceptable based on the gameplay.

The one thing about game performance is that it is subjective. What I feel as "playable" isn't necessarily what you may feel as playable. This has always been the problem with that sort of subjective opinion.

What we do here is provide the data for you and show it. We put up repeatable and replicable data that you can compare with. You can run the built-in benchmark on your own system in the same settings we did and directly compare the results. We put up the graph, you see the numbers. It is therefore ultimately up to you to determine what you deem playable.

We do voice our opinions and experiences on what is playable, and they are just that, our opinions based on the experiences we have.

In this way you have the best of both worlds, you have empirical data, and you have our opinions based on experiences.

Thanks for the testing. I did a lot on the weekend with my 2080TI running at the highest overclocks I can do, 2070-2130MHZ core/15+Ghz mem, and took me the better part of the weekend to get some nice performance for 4k. I'll have to take some snapshots later but was able to get to more or less 60fps/4k experience. IQ was good enough that when I showed it off to my wife she thought I was watching a movie or something for some of the mountain/wilderness parts.

I tried the max settings you used for 4k and it was something like 10-15fps. Guessing this game will be crushing the best performing cards for probably 3 or 4 generations down the road in 4k. Maybe longer than that.

Doesn't bother me one bit they didn't use any raytracing but this game could've really benefited from DLSS. Unloading some of the work on the tensore cores would really help the 2080TI go further.

Wow! Demanding game indeed! Brent I do hope you get to cover the settings and significance of the settings, my guess is there are a few that really hog performance for very little benefit. Very nice short to point eye opener.

The average was "48" which means the minimums were at unacceptable levels. You have to understand that every game behaves differently and that certain levels of performance in different games are acceptable or unacceptable based on the gameplay.

The one thing about game performance is that it is subjective. What I feel as "playable" isn't necessarily what you may feel as playable. This has always been the problem with that sort of subjective opinion.

What we do here is provide the data for you and show it. We put up repeatable and replicable data that you can compare with. You can run the built-in benchmark on your own system in the same settings we did and directly compare the results. We put up the graph, you see the numbers. It is therefore ultimately up to you to determine what you deem playable.

We do voice our opinions and experiences on what is playable, and they are just that, our opinions based on the experiences we have.

In this way you have the best of both worlds, you have empirical data, and you have our opinions based on experiences.

Brent I appreciate what you've done. It's a good article. One suggestion... A over time line graph showing the performance and a bit of discussion on what you found unplayable. Otherwise you leave your readers to guess why 4X.X performance is bad.

After a little over a month, finally got RDR2, with newer drivers and a great OCing 5700 XT AE, I am getting substantially better performance then the benchmarks online, not just here. With slider max preset at 2560x1440p, 57FPS Vulkan. Which is totally playable with FreeSync, HDR also does not seem to hinder performance as far as I can tell but need to do more testing. A very beautiful game indeed!

Did a video of inbuilt benchmark at 2560x1440 with max preset settings on a Radeon 5700XT Anniversary Edition being OC. This is on a Ryzen 3900x, 32gb of DDR4 @ 3800mhz. Game is stable and smooth, with Freesync the game play is very much acceptable. Now I will disable Motion Blur and probably bump down a few settings and bump up others depending upon IQ and performance impact good or bad. Anyways it seems to be much better than initial reviews.

Become a Patron!
Back