Reddit Strikes $60 Million AI Content Licensing Deal with Google

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Google will be paying Reddit $60 million a year as part of a plan in which the social media platform's content will be used to train the search giant's artificial intelligence models, according to a new report from Reuters, which says that it learned of the deal from three different sources.

See full article...

Kinda makes me glad I don't do anything over at Reddit.

Would kinda suck to hear they just got a fat paycheck off the content you created, and you get .. to pay for third party tools now.

Redditt is a bit of a cesspool.
Their karma system sucks for out of favor opinions.
I did a comment ( with my fresh account) on a ufo subreddit, got downvoted ( wasn't even malicious or that confrontational, just my opinion on some post) from then on anything I would post everywhere would be not visible ( you'd have to click on it) and I am sure any new posts I made wouldn't get really shown ever, even in like a defect coin subreddit, I got zero responses, for a pretty cool defect with pictures. The downvotes screwed up my profile, made me into basically a reader only.
It sucks, I gave up on it. Meh.
Not sure training AI on it is a particularly good idea, most people are bot like already due to their karma system most likely.

Nothing better than training AI on unverified user generated data, what's the worst that could happen? Creating an ultra racist AI? I'm surprised gemini didn't outright call for the final solution against white people. And guess how the media is spinning it? The erasure of white people was racist against people of color!

Last edited:
Redditt is a bit of a cesspool.
That's true for any large enough public forum. The popular opinion will drown out any minority report making it into a circle jerk of dudebros patting each other in the back for sharing an opinion with half of the world. And you get zero redemption for being proven right a few months later.

I check Reddit out somewhat regularly but primarily just the PCmr forum. It's a mostly friendly place but I don't get too deep into it either. However, I'm none too thrilled about this deal either as the amount of misinformation an AI could be trained on from there is almost incalculable. I am curious though, if the user fine print mentions anything about your data being eligible to be mined.

I admit though, I haven't tried posting anything there either so I haven't had to deal with the BS others have but have heard similar stories from others.

I check Reddit out somewhat regularly but primarily just the PCmr forum. It's a mostly friendly place but I don't get too deep into it either. However, I'm none too thrilled about this deal either as the amount of misinformation an AI could be trained on from there is almost incalculable. I am curious though, if the user fine print mentions anything about your data being eligible to be mined.

I admit though, I haven't tried posting anything there either so I haven't had to deal with the BS others have but have heard similar stories from others.
I usually only stumble upon reddit if I'm looking up something PC related when searching an issue or opinion.

Man... I'm seriously tempted to buy a few shares of RDDT when they IPO. not sure if I want to jump in at the strike price you just know the gamestop boyz will be going all in. ;)

Redditt stock should be worthless, but it will probably be made into a 6 trillion dollar company cause reasons.

Redditt stock should be worthless, but it will probably be made into a 6 trillion dollar company cause reasons.
I think it will see a IPO boom then level out then just plummet when all of the companies that want contracts to collect data realize they are paying for poorly written factually inaccurate bullshit.

Shouldn't each user have a say regarding whether or not their content is used?

Someone should sue them.

Become a Patron!
Back