Remedy Announces Max Payne and Max Payne 2 Remakes for PC, PS5, and Xbox Series X|S, Developed on Control’s Northlight Engine

Was that a commonplace thing though?

I mean, Remedy was closely related to MadOnion, both of them having evolved out of the Finnish Future Crew demo group.

I don't remember ever seeing this on any other game box, but then again, I didn't have too many game boxes back then.
Naw, it wasn't commonplace, but I did see a few games from other devs/publishers that had them back then. Can't remember what any of them were off the top of my head though.

I was a little bit of a pirate in the pre-steam days.
Snagging community demos was a common thing in the age before Steam sales. Now when you can get a 6-month-old game for 50% off, or a 1-to-2-year-old game for 5 f*cking dollars (that was $60 at launch), there's almost no need to resort to such practices. Not that grabbing community demos isn't still valid (looking at you, EGS/uPlay(Connect)/Battle.net-exclusive games). In this age of broken-@ss games at launch, you usually need some way to try a game before you buy. Steam library share helps a lot with that. And of course, GOG games are DRM-free so you can share them as freely as you like. I usually just wait until a game is below $20, usually around $5-$10, before I make a purchase. By then games have often gotten enough patches and updates to not be completely broken, and maybe even get quality-of-life improvements.

I honestly haven't done an community demo in ages. I've waited and gotten some assassins creed games well into their life where you get all of the content for 30 bucks and still play those titles sometimes. Now a days paying to play isn't a huge deal I just don't dig subscription services for non mmo titles. I want to be able to.play games at my leisure not at a subscription services access window.

I honestly haven't done an community demo in ages. I've waited and gotten some assassins creed games well into their life where you get all of the content for 30 bucks and still play those titles sometimes. Now a days paying to play isn't a huge deal I just don't dig subscription services for non mmo titles. I want to be able to.play games at my leisure not at a subscription services access window.

For me the "community demo" while once when I was younger was an action of not wanting to pay (which older me regrets) has in recent years been more of a matter of protest.

I have utilized it for such things as grabbing games with single store exclusives, or single player games that require logging into an account and always being online.
I should mention I have two "free" copies of Far Cry 6 from AMD hardware purchases, which I have refused to use due to to the requirement of creating an account with Uplay (or whatever the new version is called). I have been hoping for a community demo, but either this iteration of Denuvo has proven to be an insurmountable obstacle, OR there has been some shady back door deals paying off those who break DRM from arriving at a "community demo" release.

Either way, despite having two "free" copies, I plan on waiting until such time as a "community demo" avails itself. I will not under any circumstance create an always online account in order to play a single player game. This will not happen. I'd rather never play the game, or any future game.

Become a Patron!
Back