Report: Apple Dropping Support for Original iPhone SE and iPhone 6S|6S Plus with iOS 15

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
apple-iphone-se-rose-gold-1024x576.jpg
Image: Apple

They’ve had a good run, but Apple will reportedly drop support for its original iPhone SE and iPhone 6S|6S Plus models with next year’s release of iOS 15. The rumor comes from The Verifier, which, according to 9to5Mac, accurately reported that the iPhone 5s and iPhone 6 would not get updates past iOS 12, among other things.

“We can now report for the first time that the iOS 14 operating system update is actually the last major update for the mentioned series of devices, as those devices will stop receiving update updates and will be limited to security updates only,” The Verifier wrote.

If true, iOS 15 will only be compatible with the following iPhone models:

2021 iPhonesiPhone 12...

Continue reading...

And people are going to cry foul, and insist on continuing to use their ancient iPhones unpatched.

I wish the damned phones would pull a Mission Impossible once they are no longer patched, so people stop using them, putthing themselves and others at risk with unpatched vulnerabilities.

As far as I am concerned, this is one of very few areas where I actually give Apple praise. T hey support their phones longer than anyone else does. Elsewhere in the marketplace a phone tend to get ~2 years of support. Maybe 2.5-3 if you are lucky.

The 6s and 6s Plus have been around for more than 5 years now. Time to let them rest. If you bought one new, you got a much longer than industry average life support for them. Suck it up and replace the phone.

Good thing my sis just ditched her iphone SE

And people are going to cry foul, and insist on continuing to use their ancient iPhones unpatched.

I wish the damned phones would pull a Mission Impossible once they are no longer patched, so people stop using them, putthing themselves and others at risk with unpatched vulnerabilities.

As far as I am concerned, this is one of very few areas where I actually give Apple praise. T hey support their phones longer than anyone else does. Elsewhere in the marketplace a phone tend to get ~2 years of support. Maybe 2.5-3 if you are lucky.

The 6s and 6s Plus have been around for more than 5 years now. Time to let them rest. If you bought one new, you got a much longer than industry average life support for them. Suck it up and replace the phone.
My wife is still on a 6S and will begrudgingly give it up...She keeps her tech a long time.
Her last MacBook Pro was in use for almost 10 years, and still actually works fine is all you do is surf the web.
It's in a drawer in the kitchen as an online recipe folder haha.

My wife is still on a 6S and will begrudgingly give it up...She keeps her tech a long time.
Her last MacBook Pro was in use for almost 10 years, and still actually works fine is all you do is surf the web.
It's in a drawer in the kitchen as an online recipe folder haha.
My sis was going to give it to my mom, but she prefered a new Moto G mainly for the bigger screen.

The 6S got a lot of things right, and the phone was supported for so long it’s actually rather commendable. I know one guy who still considers it the gold standard of Apple phone design although he’s an audiophile and thus gets weak for s 3.5mm jack. To be fair to him, it should never have been removed.

Become a Patron!
Back