Report: NVIDIA Tells AIB Partners to Pause GeForce RTX 3090 Ti Production

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
nvidia-jeff-fisher-holding-geforce-rtx-3090-ti-1024x576.jpg
Image: NVIDIA

NVIDIA was originally planning to launch its new flagship gaming graphics card on January 27, but that is no longer happening.

This is according to sources with TweakTown, which told the publication that NVIDIA has told its AIB partners to halt the production of its recently announced GeForce RTX 3090 Ti graphics card. No reason was given, but VideoCardz’ own sources suggest that the delay stems from something serious.

“According to them, there are issues with both the BIOS and hardware,” VideoCardz reported. “The details are not yet known, so it is unclear if board partners will be required to revise the boards that were already made or they need to wait for a solution from NVIDIA. In any case, we will provide an update on this situation as soon as we learn more.”

The GeForce RTX 3090 Ti was unveiled by Jeff Fisher, senior vice...

Continue reading...

Huh maybe they are avoiding space invaders 2.0.
I still remember when I got my 2080 Ti. I was nervous but it all worked out. Back in the day Kyle [H] had ordered his card around the same time and if I remember correctly he'd gotten notice of a FedEx delay or tracking or something. This was happening when there were reports of them catching fire and Space Invaders. I replied in a thread with a pic I photoshopped with a burning FedEx truck on a highway(real photo) and pasted Space Invaders above it, attacking. I don't have the image anymore else I'd post it here.

While I'd love to point at some severe technical flaw, I'd be willing to bet it's something just as simple as they don't need to release this respin yet. They are still selling every 3090 they can make, so why kick a respin out the door -- you don't need to refresh lagging sales.

Keep your powder dry until you need a boost -- either to pick up lagging sales, fend off competition (of which there is none quite yet), help obfuscate some bad news, or to juice the stock price real quick before some bigwig decides to dump.

I'd be willing to bet the week that the ARM buyout gets officially axed, you'll see this and any other GPU announcement under their hat hit press releases and firm release dates like none other.

While I'd love to point at some severe technical flaw, I'd be willing to bet it's something just as simple as they don't need to release this respin yet. They are still selling every 3090 they can make, so why kick a respin out the door -- you don't need to refresh lagging sales.
Too true. It's not like they haven't just launched 3 more cards between the 3080-12 GB, 3070 Ti 16 GB, and 3080 Ti. Factor in that there's still nothing truly competing with the 3090 and it's really a why bother kind of thing. However, since production had started I've got a feeling something did go sideways that needs addressing. Maybe they decided it was 'Super' time.

Or they're not halting production and this first batch of cards won't hit retail markets. Maybe Nvidia secured a deal to sell the first run of units directly to mining farms and Nvidia is forcing some hands.

Wouldn't put it past them.

Too true. It's not like they haven't just launched 3 more cards between the 3080-12 GB, 3070 Ti 16 GB, and 3080 Ti. Factor in that there's still nothing truly competing with the 3090 and it's really a why bother kind of thing. However, since production had started I've got a feeling something did go sideways that needs addressing. Maybe they decided it was 'Super' time.
I think the recent Hardware Unboxed video on the 3080 12G edition probably best explains these more recent releases- it had nothing to do with refreshing the market or fending off competition: it was all about a minor bump so they would have a reason to raise the margin without just "more money" being the cause. Especially in the case of the 3080 12G -- that fits no new niche, it doesn't fix any existing problem, it doesn't increase availability, it just adds 2G to a card that they get to charge a very high markup on... and they can take advantage of some slightly better binning now. VRAM is the easiest way to boost margins, it doesn't cost too much as a chip, but once you solder it on a PCB the markup can go through the roof.

Just have to add that NVIDIA has been adjusting to a changing market for a while now. I've commented many times on the expansive 10xx series releases. It is also known how mining, and other factors, played a role in the 20xx series releases. Now, between the pandemic, ecological, political, mining, lack of competition (but getting closer), factors, they've got a lot to rethink with the ongoing 30xx series.

I don't even want to think about the nightmare of the 40xx series now since there will be 3 contenders of the various tiers. Granted one (Intel) will only be entering at the lowest-mid-level tiers but that's enough to trigger NVIDIA to release god-knows-what.

Just gotta say that at least the rest of the hardware is ready to contend with this all. We could speculate all day long on what NVIDIA or anyone else, could offer on the GPU front but at the end of it all the rest of a build really rests on either budget or availability. After it's all said and done things could be worse. Gotta credit Sturgill Simpson for some of that thought.

Become a Patron!
Back