Report: Sony’s Next PlayStation Handheld Is Called the Q Lite, Features 8-Inch Touchscreen and Requires Constant Internet Connectivity

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Sony is, in fact, developing a new PlayStation handheld that will succeed the Vita, its most recent handheld that was discontinued in 2019, according to sources with Insider Gaming's Tom Henderson. The new handheld, which is said to feature a design inspired by the PS5 and an 8-inch LCD touchscreen, isn't a cloud streaming device, and will reportedly be released before the PS5 Pro (holiday 2024) but after the PS5 with detachable disc drive.

See full article...

This is dead on arrival. With cloud streaming devices that exist, phones that can remote play, and especially the steam deck. Why get such a limited remote play device. It can only remote play to the PS5? what's the point.

This is dead on arrival. With cloud streaming devices that exist, phones that can remote play, and especially the steam deck. Why get such a limited remote play device. It can only remote play to the PS5? what's the point.

It's not mentioned that it's remote play only, the vita also did remote play with the PS4 while still supporting it's own games. but still, for a kid who want's to play and does not have acces to the family tv or someting this could be usefull.

I'm more interested in this then the Steam deck

This is dead on arrival. With cloud streaming devices that exist, phones that can remote play, and especially the steam deck. Why get such a limited remote play device.
I agree. Can go out and get that Logitech thing that just does remote play and have the same thing. Remote play is neat, but hardly a universal solution - cell signal isn't always 5 bars 5G, don't always have access to WiFi, etc - and all the usual issues with cloud gaming as well. An always-connected console that only supports cloud gaming is not a smart idea.

I'm more interested in this then the Steam deck
You're more interested in this than a more versitile device? I'm curious as to your reasoning.

Take this on a plane... no game. Take this on the road away from Cell, (ok harder and harder to do every day) No game. anywhere you don't have a hot spot or available wifi... no game.

You're more interested in this than a more versitile device? I'm curious as to your reasoning.

Take this on a plane... no game. Take this on the road away from Cell, (ok harder and harder to do every day) No game. anywhere you don't have a hot spot or available wifi... no game.

I'm curious on his reasoning also. I see no point at all in getting this over a Steam Deck that can do so much more.

I agree. Can go out and get that Logitech thing that just does remote play and have the same thing. Remote play is neat, but hardly a universal solution - cell signal isn't always 5 bars 5G, don't always have access to WiFi, etc - and all the usual issues with cloud gaming as well. An always-connected console that only supports cloud gaming is not a smart idea.

The article says it's NOT a cloud streaming device. So why does it require always online connectivity?

The article says it's NOT a cloud streaming device. So why does it require always online connectivity?
I'm thinking the game doesn't stream the interface but streams the data of the game itself... if that makes sense. That would put some very real constraints on the size of files and latency though and a HUGE weight on the bandwidth and data use... like titanic potentially.

It would probably make more sense that it just downloads the game files to the device and plays it directly. While the online requirement feature makes it so you can't play those games offline. So you can't necessarily purchase a game on the PS Store and play it on both your PS5 and the handheld simultaneously.

Is comparison to Steam deck viable? I mean those things are like a grand right? This doesn't have a price tag yet but no way it costs more than 300 or it won't sell.

I had a Vita and I'm still a little chafed they killed it the way Sony did. But I did sell it and get most of my $ back.

Is comparison to Steam deck viable? I mean those things are like a grand right? This doesn't have a price tag yet but no way it costs more than 300 or it won't sell.

I had a Vita and I'm still a little chafed they killed it the way Sony did. But I did sell it and get most of my $ back.

https://store.steampowered.com/steamdeck

$400 to $650 depending on the model.

I'm curious on his reasoning also. I see no point at all in getting this over a Steam Deck that can do so much more.
well maybe it can do more but it can't do what it's main thing is as it should to start with, imho the steam deck is atm a beta test, it can't even run all of steam games on it, is not very powerfull, has a low rez screen and battery life is well low and moreso I don't know why everyone loves them, I do not even have a use for it.

At least console games are designed to be played with a controller.

Now I'm still assuming that the new portable Sony thing will still be able to play it's own games and not just stream PS5 games, I will wait for more details from Sony before.

More interested also does not mean I will buy either.

well maybe it can do more but it can't do what it's main thing is as it should to start with, imho the steam deck is atm a beta test, it can't even run all of steam games on it,

It can run 7000 Steam games. The Playstatation 5, even being backwards compatible with the PS4 game library only has around 550 games total.

is not very powerfull,

Neither are consoles and this handheld from Sony wont be any exception. Handhelds are never really all that powerful.

I use my Steam Deck to play 1000+ emulator games including Atari, NES, SNES, Genesis, Dreamcast, N64, Playstation 1 & 2 and others I can't think of off the top of my head. Unless someone roots/hacks the Playstation portable, it wont be able to do this and when they do, my Steam Deck is still under warranty. ;)

has a low rez screen

The screen is small at 7". ~720P looks extremely good on it (when I play newer games on mine) The Playstation portable allegedly has an 8" screen and even if it's 1080P, the screen is still relatively small. You wont notice.

and battery life is well low

Almost all portable devices have low battery life. The battery life on my Steam deck when playing old school emulators can last a really, really long time. Not so much when I play a newer title.

and moreso I don't know why everyone loves them, I do not even have a use for it.

The fact is the Steam Deck has more uses than the closed eco system that the Playstation Portable will have. You can use the Steam Deck as a laptop and even connect it to external displays, use mouse/keyboard, controllers, the list goes on and on with the possibilities of what you can do on a Steam Deck.

At least console games are designed to be played with a controller.

Nearly all games these days are console ports anyway. So controller support on newer games isn't much of an issue. The only issue are the older titles that need controller mapping to work with a controller. Still a larger library of available games to play than the Playstation Portable.

Now I'm still assuming that the new portable Sony thing will still be able to play it's own games and not just stream PS5 games, I will wait for more details from Sony before.

I really don't think the Playstation portable will have it's own exclusive games. The system will require an always online connection to use it which leads me to believe it'll just be PS5/4 games that are able to run on it. Nothing more.

More interested also does not mean I will buy either.

Kind of hard to knock on hardware you've never used.

Not taking up for the Steam Deck per se, or claiming its the end all, be all to portable gaming (I own a switch also) but the uses I get out of the Steam Deck has almost replaced my laptop.

It can run 7000 Steam games. The Playstatation 5, even being backwards compatible with the PS4 game library only has around 550 games total.

For funsies I checked some of the games I own that I could forseeable see me play on the deck, one had the green check, one wont work at all and the rest only in some form (ie yellow !) so not that impressed. I also heard that even though some games should work according to valve, they don't.
Kind of hard to knock on hardware you've never used.

Not taking up for the Steam Deck per se, or claiming its the end all, be all to portable gaming (I own a switch also) but the uses I get out of the Steam Deck has almost replaced my laptop.

I can knock it on it's specs and whatever I can learn online from reviews and users talking about their expereinces with it.

I'm not going to buy another console that I might use 3 times a year like my switch just to be able to diss it.

I know that due to some dissability I'm far from the regular user for the device and maybe if I had a daily commute or something it might be more usefull to me but as is like I said I have no use for it.

For funsies I checked some of the games I own that I could forseeable see me play on the deck, one had the green check, one wont work at all and the rest only in some form (ie yellow !) so not that impressed. I also heard that even though some games should work according to valve, they don't.

I can knock it on it's specs and whatever I can learn online from reviews and users talking about their expereinces with it.

I'm not going to buy another console that I might use 3 times a year like my switch just to be able to diss it.

I know that due to some dissability I'm far from the regular user for the device and maybe if I had a daily commute or something it might be more usefull to me but as is like I said I have no use for it.

Well the playstation portable would probably be even less of use for you.

This argument was choosing a Playstation Portable over the Steam Deck.

If the Steam Deck doesn't work for you in some shape or way then the Playstation Portable, with even less features, will be even less useful.

This argument was choosing a Playstation Portable over the Steam Deck.
and despite all the lovely arguments you have on behalf of the steam deck I could see myself using the portable Sony thing more then a steam deck.

I don't need features I will never use, sometimes less is more.

and despite all the lovely arguments you have on behalf of the steam deck I could see myself using the portable Sony thing more then a steam deck.

I don't need features I will never use, sometimes less is more.

This whole discussion could have been avoided if you just said that in the first place. No argument overcomes someone wanting a system to play exclusive games on it.

I would say the opposite is true - Steam's "checkmark" system is overly restrictive. Most "Yellow" status run just fine - they may have some minor interface issues, or require keyboard input at some point, but in my experience, most "Yellow" games still run just fine.

Green is nice - it means the game has pre-configured settings that more or less will work on the Steam Deck, it supports the low resolution of the Steam Deck screen without too much issue (interface elements and text are all legible, everything scales well, etc), it allows for 100% function with exclusive joypad controls, and supports joypad remapping.

If at any time you require a keyboard or mouse - well, the Steam Deck can use USB KB/M just fine, and has emulation for both without needing the hardware, but it will result in you getting a Yellow check instead of a Green one - and that's what most games get dinged on - when you need to enter a password to log in, or they have some launcher that has legal text that isn't legible, or something like that.

This whole discussion could have been avoided if you just said that in the first place. No argument overcomes someone wanting a system to play exclusive games on it.
As they say in batman... some people just want to watch the world burn.

Become a Patron!
Back