Resident Evil: Welcome to Raccoon City Trailer Released, Hits Theaters November 24

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
resident-evil-welcome-to-raccoon-city-poster-rpd-with-umbrella-1024x577.jpg
Image: Sony Pictures

Sony Pictures has released the first trailer for Resident Evil: Welcome to Raccoon City, Hollywood’s latest attempt at adapting Capcom’s hit survival horror franchise for the big screen. The movie will be released exclusively in cinemas on November 24, 2021.

Sony’s synopsis for the film:

Returning to the origins of the massively popular RESIDENT EVIL franchise, fan and filmmaker Johannes Roberts brings the games to life for a whole new generation of fans. In RESIDENT EVIL: WELCOME TO RACCOON CITY, once the booming home of pharmaceutical giant Umbrella Corporation, Raccoon City is now a dying Midwestern town. The company’s exodus left the city a wasteland…with great evil brewing below the surface. When that evil is unleashed, a group of survivors must work together to uncover the truth behind Umbrella and...

Continue reading...

The international trailer is a lot better. I was quite deflated after watching the American one, but got my hopes back after watching this one. Whoever cut the American version needs to be slapped.

Man, I'm guessing from how much they want to charge for either renting or buying this on physical or VOD they must actually owe theaters for lost revenue.

I checked both Amazon and VUDU last night for 4K options because I do think it looks interesting.

Rent $19.99
Buy $39.99-$40.99(UHD-BD-digital-combo pack)

ouch!

I have yet to hear anything good about it from anyone that's seen it. I've heard its low budget and not very good.

I have yet to hear anything good about it from anyone that's seen it. I've heard its low budget and not very good.
That's a bummer. Oh well. Sounds like I'll wait it out until it's on Netflix or something.

no Milla 😞

Probably still going to watch it, the trailer has some familiar stuff in it.

no Milla 😞

Probably still going to watch it, the trailer has some familiar stuff in it.
Yeah, that was a bummer also. BTW I don't recommend her in Monster Hunter. I wouldn't say the movie was horrible, although pretty bad, but I felt her role was not a good fit there.

I rented this on Amazon for 5.99 in UHD HDR this week. Wasn't horrible but not great either. I have to truly commend them on completely nailing much of the imagery from the games. The actors/actresses, well, meh. I recognized more than a few and it was nice seeing them but it also felt like they were not fully engaged in the parts either. You could tell the writers were trying to capture a number of details from the games. It's just a bummer that the movie wasn't executed as well as it could've been.

If the 4K discs go on sale for $19.99, or less, I'll pick it up. I'd say not at bad as direct to DVD but not theater worthy either and it's worth streaming if you don't have high expectations. If I was going to compare recent horror game titles, it's leaps and bounds better than that Doom movie that came out a year or two ago.

Oh good gawd, I completely forgot that sh1t exists. I have never seen it. Don't think I ever will.
I remember two things about that movie: The Space Marine that looks like Tom Petty talking about having ladyboys coming over to his house and the first person sequence at the end. Aside from that, I don't remember much.

I remember two things about that movie: The Space Marine that looks like Tom Petty talking about having ladyboys coming over to his house and the first person sequence at the end. Aside from that, I don't remember much.
Wasn't the first person sequence in the 2005 movie with Karl Urban and the rock?

I think he is referring to the more recent "Doomguy is female" low budget Z category movie

Wasn't the first person sequence in the 2005 movie with Karl Urban and the rock?

I think he is referring to the more recent "Doomguy is female" low budget Z category movie
Yes, and I forgot that one existed. I've never seen it.

Yeah, I had that newer Doom movie on in the background one day while working on other stuff and I felt my streaming bandwidth should've been refunded. Any time I looked up at the screen I just reminded myself that at least I wasn't actually trying to sit down and watch it. I honestly don't remember much about it, you know what they say about how the mind tries to block out bad memories.

It took over a decade for me to get around to watching the Karl Urban/Dwayne Johnson one. Once was enough, and it's dated at this point, but still better than the newer one.

Such a shame because that's really a good franchise they could run with for movies but it's another one of those things that either execs or people behind the camera just don't get. Doom and Dead Space are two IPs I'd love turned into great movies but I doubt I'll ever see it happen.

Become a Patron!
Back