Retailer Lists Alan Wake Remastered with an October Release Date

Peter_Brosdahl

Staff member
alan-wake-key-visual-lake-in-logo-1024x577.jpg
Image: Remedy Entertainment

A retailer has let the cat out of the bag by listing Alan Wake Remastered. The listing shows an October 5 release date for PS5, PS4, and Xbox consoles. The game was spotted on the Epic Games Store database a couple of months ago. Analyst Daniel Ahmad, a senior analyst at Niko Partners, says that the game will be announced next week, possibly at the PlayStation Showcase event.

It has been over ten years since the original was released. Remedy has probably upgraded the game’s visuals considerably. It is unknown whether ray tracing or DLSS will be added to the game, but that is a possibility based on Control. A launch on the Epic Games Store is likely, as Remedy has signed a...

Continue reading...

Thanks to the Mass Effect Legendary Edition being so successful, we are going to get a wave of lazy *** remasters. Great.

Mass Effect was worth buying again. Alan Wake isn't unless they fully ray trace the game.

I have both Alan Wakes on PC thanks to various bundle deals. I have not played at all.

Mass Effect was worth buying again. Alan Wake isn't unless they fully ray trace the game.

My issue is that game developers are going to see the success of Mass Effect Legendary Edition and try and capitalize on the idea of taking successful games and remastering them. Generally speaking, I think remasters that aren't inline with what was done with Halo and Halo 2 are lazy cash grabs and are typically examples of the lowest effort possible.

It worked well for Mass Effect Legendary Edition because textures were a weak point of the original releases and the game's have oddly aged extremely well. They aren't as old as some titles that developers have tried to remaster either. The remastering of Quake I is a good example of what we are likely to see. In my opinion, that was an absolute waste of time and a very weak effort.

The reason being is that retexturing a 25 year old game is like remodeling a house without indoor plumbing or electricity with granite countertops, modern door handles, really nice tile, cabinets, flooring, etc. without addressing the underlying reason why the house is dated. Quake I's models and environments have a ludicrously low polycount. We can literally get better graphics on a cell phone these days. To simply retexture that is an awful cash grab and not worth anyone's time or money in my opinion.

Become a Patron!
Back