Rolls-Royce Gets Funding for Its Bid to Put a Nuclear Reactor on the Moon

GEEZUS PEOPLE...

TYPES OF RADIATION MATTER.

It blows my mind when everyone freaks out about the word radiation.

Let me give you an example... a fuel air bomb puts out more radiation than a nuclear weapon... (in my example.)

HOW you might ask...

the radiation that a fuel air bomb puts out is in HEAT. HEAT is a form of radiation.

A nuclear weapon puts out heat as well... but it also puts out more harmful longer term effecting and infecting forms of raidation that ruin an ecology.

HEAT is radiation, LIGHT is radiation, ANY form of energy given off is Radiation.

Its the TYPE that matters too... Coal radiation and Nuclear radiation might be similar for the most part.. for plants.. until there is a radiation leak of a potentially more harmful type... ok?

GEEZUS PEOPLE...

TYPES OF RADIATION MATTER.

It blows my mind when everyone freaks out about the word radiation.

Let me give you an example... a fuel air bomb puts out more radiation than a nuclear weapon... (in my example.)

HOW you might ask...

the radiation that a fuel air bomb puts out is in HEAT. HEAT is a form of radiation.

A nuclear weapon puts out heat as well... but it also puts out more harmful longer term effecting and infecting forms of raidation that ruin an ecology.

HEAT is radiation, LIGHT is radiation, ANY form of energy given off is Radiation.

Its the TYPE that matters too... Coal radiation and Nuclear radiation might be similar for the most part.. for plants.. until there is a radiation leak of a potentially more harmful type... ok?

Generally when people talk about radiation they are referring to alpha, beta and gamma radiation. Yes, other things are also radiation, and the EM spectrum is vast, but most of them are not concerning, at least not in moderation.

I am concerned about toxic alpha, beta and gamma radiation, predominantly released from caesium-137, iodine-131, strontium-90 and other radionuclides resulting from the fission of Uranium-235.

I am not very concerned about 5G emissions :p

I don't think anyone will argue that burning coal is good for you either, except maybe the coal lobby.

I'd support completely ending all extraction, trade, import, export and burning of coal as soon as possible.

Guess we will all just sit around camp fires like the stone age.

Don't want coal power plants.
Don't want nuclear power plants.
Hydro won't cover the power needs.
Solar wont cover the power needs.
Wind wont cover the power needs.

Time to load up on wood.

Time to load up on wood.

Oh don't worry, Big Oil/Gas (ie - BP, etc) will continue to supply us at exorbitant rates until "the end of time" ...ie - about 50 years before global war breaks out over resources... We'll see if I am dead before that happens....

The problem with wind in my small country that is pretty densly populated is that people want it, just not where they can hear or see it, even building it at sea makes the tourist businesses there anxious.

Then there is the ecological crap that gets used to stop it, like there is a pretty rare mouse living in this area that we might disturb and don't want to go extincct so you can't do anything here.

Time to load up on wood.

Natural gas is probably the best bridge fuel until we get some sort of energy backup solution figured out that is good enough to make up for the mismatch between peak renewable generation and peak demand.

And then with a little luck, by ~2035 we will be entering the "nearly limitless energy from Fusion" era.

Natural gas is probably the best bridge fuel until we get some sort of energy backup solution figured out that is good enough to make up for the mismatch between peak renewable generation and peak demand.

And then with a little luck, by ~2035 we will be entering the "nearly limitless energy from Fusion" era.

Well Natural gas is certainly cleaner in that it gives off way less harmful emissions such as CO2 when burned, but we have to figure out a better way to prevent the methane leaks which is 90 - 100 times more potent than CO2. I also forgot to include natural gas power plants in my nifty little list. oops.

Also not even gonna attempt to touch on the subject of fracking and how that is bad in it's own right.

@Uvilla thanks for the article. Didn't know this existed. Got some stuff I can read up on over the weekend to learn more about Thorium. One thing I found funny about that article is they could say that Uranium has a half-life of ~4.5 billion years, but when they gave the half-life of Thorium they used scientific notation 1.4×10e10 instead of just saying 140 billion years. I got a chuckle out of that.

Become a Patron!
Back