Sabrent and Phison Are Collaborating to Develop PCIe Gen5 SSD with Speeds Up to 14,000 MB/S

Peter_Brosdahl

Staff member
Not content with a record-breaking read speed of over 12,000 MB/s for its Rocket X5 PCIe Gen 5 SSD Sabrent has announced a new partnership to push the envelope even further. Sabrent and Phison are now working together to develop an SSD with read speeds up to 14,000 MB/s. Such a collaboration is sure to yield impressive results with Phison's well-known expertise in developing controller technology and Sabrent's established presence in the storage medium industry. The announcement comes as Sabrent only just revealed CrystalDiskMark scores for its latest Rocket X5 1 TB SSD that hit over 12,398/11,844 MB/s read/write speeds.

See full article...

I'm only dealing with an n=1, but I don't think I'd buy anything Sabrent again.

Not only did my n=1 fail, it failed very not gracefully (overnight not detected) at low write cycles (95+% life remaining)

That and they gave me a hell of a lot of trouble to get the warranty replacement, as they were trying to tell me I wasn't covered because I didn't register the product with them within an arbitrary number of days. (I don't register ****)

I do have a bunch of Inland premium NVMe drives in my server in redundant configurations, but for something running as a single drive in my desktop, where both performance and reliability matter.

The top performers were it matters (low queue depth 4k random)

- Samsung
- Intel/SK Hynix
- WD

They also have a reasonable history of reliability.

I have personal experience with both Samsung and Intel drives (though not since they were sold to SK Hynix) I don't have any personal WD SSD experience, but I ahve read reasonably positive things, so I keep them on my list.

I'm not sure I'm really into yet another rebranded third party drive, like most of them on the market are. With the three above, you are at least getting their own product.

And that's how I like almost all of my products. Where the name on the package is the actual company that designed and manufactured it.

Crucial/Micron also comes to mind as a company that designs and manufacturers their own SSDs. Of course, that's not to say they don't rely on third-party services or components at all.

Crucial/Micron also comes to mind as a company that designs and manufacturers their own SSDs. Of course, that's not to say they don't rely on third-party services or components at all.

I almost listed Micron. They do design their own controllers and manufacture their own flash memory. I get the feeling they generally are considered fairly reliable, but I have never seen them up near the top of the performance charts though.

I'd have no problem sticking them in a server or a enterprise laptop where reliability is more of a concern than performance though.

...as they were trying to tell me I wasn't covered because I didn't register the product with them within an arbitrary number of days. (I don't register ****)
I don't know how easy it is to get a UPS manufacturer to follow through on their warranty/protection-plan-whatever (I've heard not very), but I do actually register my UPSes within a few days after getting them. I don't generally register most of the sh1t I buy, but in the case of UPSes I'd rather not f*ck around there. Most of them pull that "you gotta register within X days" crap, and for those devices I do play along. Just like I always hold on to receipts/invoices for pretty much everything.

So did Sabrent eventually give you a replacement?

They did, but it took quite a bit of arguing.

I was not pleased with the experience.

And to be honest, at that point I didn't even want the **** replacement anymore. I had lost faith in the product. I just kept pushing for the principle of the thing.

When I got it back, I figured I could just use it as a secondary drive, and put nothing but my steam library on it. That way, if it does again, all I've lost is an overnight download. Even if the drive were full, and I lost 2TB, that's a 5 hour overnight download, so not the end of the world.

Instead of worrying about faster sequential transfer speeds that no one will probably need for another 5-10 years maybe they should work on getting the things to not need watercooling or at least not need massive tower heatsinks to keep them cool enough to keep from throttling.

maybe they should work on getting the things to not need watercooling or at least not need massive tower heatsinks to keep them cool enough to keep from throttling.
I've been thinking the exact same for all of this PCIe 5-related tech. It's also another reason that when I do my next build I'll still look for a motherboard with a chipset fan that also sends air to the NVMe slot (the MSI X570 I have has one). At first, I thought that was ridiculous but now I'd much rather have that than this other stuff. It's done a great job and I will not use something that requires its own obnoxious cooling solution just to reach advertised speeds.

I will not use something that requires its own obnoxious cooling solution just to reach advertised speeds.
I agree with you 100%, but unfortunately the way things are going the need for good amount of cooling keeps getting larger for hardware. Just look at video cards for example.

I agree with you 100%, but unfortunately the way things are going the need for good amount of cooling keeps getting larger for hardware. Just look at video cards for example.
For sure but I'm just not willing to that route for a storage drive, or memory.

They did, but it took quite a bit of arguing.

I was not pleased with the experience.

And to be honest, at that point I didn't even want the **** replacement anymore. I had lost faith in the product. I just kept pushing for the principle of the thing.

When I got it back, I figured I could just use it as a secondary drive, and put nothing but my steam library on it. That way, if it does again, all I've lost is an overnight download. Even if the drive were full, and I lost 2TB, that's a 5 hour overnight download, so not the end of the world.

For what it is worth, I just noticed that the RMA replacement drive is dead :p

So, the first one lasted two years and a few months, and the second one lasted 1 year and a few months.

I think it is safe to say, I won't be buying anything Sabrent again.

1.) First one Failed.
2.) They argued and didn't want to honor warranty because I hadn't registered the drive shortly after buying it
3.) RMA replacement I fought for and finally got died a year and a few months later.

I think that's as good a reason as any to not buy things from a company anymore.

Edit:

Unlike last time, this time I am actually able to coax the Rocket 4 to give me data using a USB adapter.

So, I'm dumping it to another drive. It's not like it had any important data on it (because I no longer trusted it) but at least this way I don't have to re-download everything.

Last edited:
I'm so bummed for you. It doesn't matter the brand as it always sucks when one consistently gives you grief. I had a stretch with WD back around 2008-2011 which led to me stopping using them for about a decade. Those were all platter drives. Somewhere around 2015, I had two NVMe Kingston drives fail in my then-new MSI GT80 Titan which has had a pair of Intel and Samsung drives running since. It has two RAID chips in it. Those drives have had a workout through the years and continue to be champs.

Meanwhile, the Sabrent in my 4090 rig continues to chug along. It doesn't have a hard life but has been in use for around three years now. Obviously, I wouldn't even begin to attempt to try and convince you to take another chance since I would feel the exact same with your experiences.

Unlike last time, this time I am actually able to coax the Rocket 4 to give me data using a USB adapter.
I managed to do that with a portable WD drive years ago by dismantling it and swapping its adapter with a Seagate one. Ironically, I've since had some Sabrent adapters on hand for a variety of projects. I've also got an SSD/HDD USB3 dock for the more intense rescue operations.

I hear good things about Cruicial, but my first Crucial SSD experience was not so good, kept dissapearing from my PC, got a refund from the webshop I bought it from as they had no replacements in stock left.

Think I have one in a pc somewhere, but I won't trust them with anything vital anymore.

I did get a 990pro 2Tb on a black friday sale as my next bootdrive.

I considered getting a 990 pro, but the move to TLC flash just flat out hurts. Better to stick with the MLC 970 pros and wait for Samsungs Gen 5 drive

I hear good things about Cruicial, but my first Crucial SSD experience was not so good, kept dissapearing from my PC, got a refund from the webshop I bought it from as they had no replacements in stock left.

Think I have one in a pc somewhere, but I won't trust them with anything vital anymore.

For the longest time my mantra for SSD's was "I trust Samsung and Intel, and Samsung and Intel only".

I have been a prolific buyer of SSD's now for like 14 years. I know its anecdotal, but as far as sample sizes go, I think that as an individual consumer I have abigger sample size set than most. I have never had a Samsung or Intel SSD fail and I've had quite a bunch of them. For a long time there almost every other brand of SSD I had bought failed in the 2-3 year time span. In fact this is mostly still true.

The only exception there are my Inland Premium drives in my server (I have 12 of them). They seem to be chugging along quite reliably, which is odd considering they are likely reference Phison E12 designs, (I suspect manufactured by Team.) That said, I haven't had them for 3 years yet.

I like having at least two different options for my "trusted brands" so with Intel's SSD's no longer existing, I am trying to expand my "circle of trust"

I tried Sabrent. That didn't go too well. Honestly I tried them mostly because I wanted a Gen4 drive in late 2019, and that was the only one I could find. That was a mistake. In part because more knowledge should have gone into the decision, and in part because Samsung's Gen3 drives were faster in practice than this Gen4 drive ever was.

WD looks like they might be a candidate. They are one of the few manufacturers out there now that don't just make Phison reference drives. Their 4k Random results are also second only to Samsung (now that Optane is more or less gone and won't be a long term option))

I've had nothing but good experiences with my two 990 Pro's and my one 980 Pro. Just a reminder to install Samsung Magician and update the firmware on the drives, as Samsung has had some firmware issues resulting in premature drive wear. Once updated they have been perfect though.

I considered getting a 990 pro, but the move to TLC flash just flat out hurts. Better to stick with the MLC 970 pros and wait for Samsungs Gen 5 drive

I was concerned about TLC when Samsung first moved from MLC to TLC for their Pro drives, but in practice it hasn't been a problem. Write endurance has been high, and performance has been good.

That said, the 980 Pro and 990 Pro are both TLC, and I don't own an MLC NVMe drive right now to compare to.

Last edited:
I was concerned about TLC when Samsung first moved from MLC to TLC for their Pro drives, buit in practice it hasnt been a problem. Write endurance has been high, and performance has been good.

That said, the 980 Pro and 990 Pro are both TLC, and I don't own an MLC NVMe drive right now to compare to.
I have a 1TB 970 pro and a 2TB 980 pro in the same system if there was a particular comparison that would be useful

Become a Patron!
Back