Samsung 990 PRO Owners Report Rapid Health Degradation

Yeah, the OCZ I have is a 960 GB Toshiba:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01B4NUKDS/?tag=thefpsreview-20

I got mine back in 2017 for $246. Pretty sure that was when I was trying to phase out my old platters from around 2010-2012 in the old 2600K rig. There's a good chance it's in the 4930K rig right now. I rebuilt that one about a month or so ago and I remember when I was cleaning the drives and reorganizing files seeing one was 960 GB and thought that was odd.

Inland: (n of 13) These are Micro Centers house brand.
Didn't know that. Here's the one I got and it's in my MSI GP66 Leopard. Paid around the same in the summer of 2021 and for 2TB thought it was a decent deal.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08FSXCFJG/?tag=thefpsreview-20

Sort of back on topic.

These are the Samsung drives I got and are still in use somewhere. Pretty sure there are more but can't remember where I got them.

1674754630788.png

Interesting. Which Samsung drives did you lose?

As I've mentioned in this thread previously I've beaten the **** out of some of them in my server and they've just kept going for a decade.
I've killed the following drives. I've still got most of them as I plan on shooting them one of these days.

Samsung
1x 840 Pro
1x 850 EVO
1x 970 EVO
1x 970 EVO Plus
1x 980 Pro

Corsair
1x Force GT 60GB
2x Force GT 120GB
2x Corsair MP500 120GB
1x Corsair MP600 2TB

I've also killed a lot of Intel SSD's.

2x Intel SSD X-25M G1
1x Intel SSD X-25M G2
1x Intel SSD 320
2x Intel SSD 335
1x Intel SSD 750 800GB

Last edited:
I've killed........
1x 850 EVO
1x 970 EVO
1x 970 EVO Plus
1x 980 Pro
I have to laugh because I can visualize a line-up-type image with KIA and bullet holes going through each of them and silicon flying against the wall.

I've killed the following drives. I've still got most of them as I plan on shooting them one of these days.

Samsung
1x 840 Pro
1x 850 EVO
1x 970 EVO
1x 970 EVO Plus
1x 980 Pro

Corsair
1x Force GT 60GB
2x Force GT 120GB
2x Corsair MP500 120GB
1x Corsair MP600 2TB

I've also killed a lot of Intel SSD's.

2x Intel SSD X-25M G1
1x Intel SSD X-25M G2
1x Intel SSD 320
2x Intel SSD 335
1x Intel SSD 750 800GB
Reach out to Demolition Ranch. I bet they would do a video. lol.

then again that rich as mofo can probably buy all new drives and shoot them at this point for the LOL's.

I only killed 1.5 SSD's, one of those old OCZ ones that all died and I had some issues wirh a crucial drive that kept dissapearing from my system I returned to the vendor and bought something else as there were no replacments in stock.

All Samsung drives I've owned have been absolutely bulletproof, and performed well as well.
Samsung were the ones to finally convince me to make the jump to SSDs during the same generation that they first introduced their V-NAND.

These are Micro Centers house brand.
Maaaan, I've been wondering about that for years! Been seeing them among customer-provided parts when I built other people systems over the last few years. I had a suspicion but I was never really sure about them being a Micro Center brand.

Their Optane drives beat anything out there from both performance and reliability perspectives. Sadly they are no longer being made.
I always wanted an Optane drive, and was sad when Intel got outta the game. It would be really interesting to own a 3D XPoint product.

To add insult to injury Sabrent fought me every step of the way on the warranty, trying to decline it because I didn't register my drive within an arbitrary number of days of purchase.
Cuz of sh1t like this, long ago I got in the habit of registering products within the first week of ownership (if not less), if I am inclined to ever register it to begin with.

I was always wary of Sabrent, and experiences like yours aren't making me any more enthusiastic about trying them out.

To add insult to injury Sabrent fought me every step of the way on the warranty, trying to decline it because I didn't register my drive within an arbitrary number of days of purchase.
That's a bummer. I had one of their 1st USB 3.2 drives.

1674767088101.png

I had ordered to use with my receiver for my hi-res audio files (I know overkill but wanted to get things off the external platter, Seagate that's been a champ for many years now). Since I've used many USB 3 external drives, all platters, I'd hoped that silicon would actually need less power and still work. Nada.

I blame the receiver but that drive was constantly having issues on it and then I spent hours plugging it into my X570 board via its 3.2 port to get the controller to reset so I could reformat it and start over. Turns out that even in 2022 receiver manufacturers are still using older voltage specs on their USB ports. This was all with an Onkyo TX-646 that I still use though. Bottom line is that I ended up contacting Amazon and let them know the drive just wouldn't work for what I needed it for, despite backward compatibility, and they let me return for a refund no problem. Granted I wasn't dealing with Sabrent directly so I'm sure that's why I didn't have the grief they put you through.

Become a Patron!
Back