Samsung Announces the Odyssey Ark, a 55-Inch Curved 4K Monitor That Can Be Used in Portrait Mode

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
samsung-odyssey-ark-monitor-portrait-mode-side-shot-1024x576.jpg
Image: Samsung

Samsung has unveiled a new display that could give its users some serious neck strain if they aren’t careful with it.

Announced during the company’s Next-Level Experience event at CES, Samsung’s Odyssey Ark is a 55-inch 4K gaming monitor that utilizes a 1000R curved panel. In addition to a wireless wheel controller and the integration of Samsung’s new Gaming Hub, the display is notable for its ability to be set into portrait orientation, making it an interesting choice for stacked multitasking or classic vertical shooters such as Ikaruga.

“The Odyssey Ark is a 55-inch, flexible and curved gaming screen that takes immersion to the next level with a multi-view experience that allows users to play games, video chat with friends and watch gaming videos at the same time,” Samsung wrote in a roundup of its CES 2022 products...

Continue reading...

I want a box monitor. Literally a room with pixels on the floor, ceiling and all four walls working together for a real immersive experience.
Not sure whatever happened to it but at one point Microsoft was talking about releasing a multi-wall projector for the Xbox. I seem to remember it was around the time when the X|S was getting early pre-release press.

Would be great in one of those simulator enclosures where it has the lounge chair and everything

full-22745-3259-212.jpg
simpit.jpg

Just looking at that monitor makes my neck hurt.

That battle pod is pretty **** neat! I bet it gets hot as balls in there though, I see a fan at the top but it probably needs an AC unit if the PC is in there too.

Looks homemade and d**n cool!
There is a whole crowd that makes these homebrew for pretty much any sim you can think of. I've seen some very elaborate Mechwarrior and Flight Simulator ones. Gotta admit I've thought about making one even though I don't really play sims - just think it would be cool to have a cooler of beer in there and shut the **** door and not have any distractions.

There is a whole crowd that makes these homebrew for pretty much any sim you can think of. I've seen some very elaborate Mechwarrior and Flight Simulator ones. Gotta admit I've thought about making one even though I don't really play sims - just think it would be cool to have a cooler of beer in there and shut the **** door and not have any distractions.

And hook up a hose to your johnson so you don't have to keep climbing out of it to piss

Just looking at that monitor makes my neck hurt.

That battle pod is pretty **** neat! I bet it gets hot as balls in there though, I see a fan at the top but it probably needs an AC unit if the PC is in there too.
Sure gets hot in these rhinos.

How many body part would I need to sell to buy one?

Looks nice, love to have 3 - maybe when I hit the lotto?

And hook up a hose to your johnson so you don't have to keep climbing out of it to piss
Can make it long-haul trucker style, or built-in Toto in the seat… there are options

Can make it long-haul trucker style, or built-in Toto in the seat… there are options
That reminds me. It could be kind of neat to just convert a mini-van or something. Pull out the seats, install displays, etc. Some work but less fab to do. Just a thought. Rig one of those internal AC units to the air vents and voila for air.

On topic regarding the OP ...

Seems the proper way to use this screen would be to have the middle third at eye level, then the upper and lower thirds are an eye flick up and down, respectively. No neck straining required.

Of course, that would require a non-traditional desk, where the forward view down is accessible past the keyboard. Three of these would be awesome in an Emperor workstation ... provided you had robust enough hardware to drive them.

Become a Patron!
Back