Samsung Preps New Odyssey Neo G9 Gaming Monitor with DisplayPort 2.1 and Ultrawide 8K Panel

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Samsung is developing a new version of its Odyssey Neo G9 monitor that features an 8K ultrawide panel.

See full article...

8K x 1.5, or 5k x 1.5 which kinda equals 8K in the horizontal?

I was wondering when we might start seeing monitors with DP 2.x.

I believe it when I see it that an AMD card that is capable of rendering a title at 8k@ 120, forget at 165. Unless that title is Ms. Pac-Man.

Edit:

C'mon, Tsing. You're missing need-to-know info to this shady AMD/Shamsung marketing.

I knew it!

These so-called 8k panels are ~ 8k ultrawide ~, 7680 x 2160 not TRUE 8k - 7680 x 4320!

Shady marketing at its best, I tell ya! 👎

Last edited:
I could see this for content creation and even other productivity solutions but as far as gaming goes it's a display without a card. Sure being 8K UW will be a bit less demanding than true 8K but it's still going to need a really powerful card using FSR/DLSS just to maintain 30-60 FPS, unless like @Brian_B said, we're talking about Ms. Pacman.

8k UW is really deceiving- it’s dual monitor 4k on one display. UW for gaming Just does not interest me at all. I had so many problems with game support for my 3 display eyefinity setup that I just don’t want headaches like that anymore.

I have 2 4K monitors now, but I think I kinda like it that way as opposed to an Ultrawide.

Now, I've never used an UW - so my opinion could be swayed. But most of the time I am gaming - the game is open on one side, and a web browser and some monitoring open on the other, and the bezel being in the middle is just fine. I don't know that I even have any games that would support 32x9. Even if I were, playing in that wide format (which I could do now, just with a bezel) I would lose my browser and monitoring access, at least without adding another monitor again... which seems to be bordering on obsessive at that point.

Support for 21:9 and 32:9 has come a long way. I was speaking about it in another thread just last week. For competitive shooters and the like, it can be great for that extra view where you can see people sneaking up on the sides and so on. However, there were two things I didn't like about my 32:9 display perspective. Some UW support still has significant distortion on the sides but at times it also felt like I was looking through a visor in that it felt like I was missing out on so much of the sky or ceiling views.

Ultimately I just wish developers would have a greater FOV that doesn't distort on 16:9 or UW but instead, in effect, pulls back the camera to show more on all sides. There are some like CDPR who IMO seems to nail the overall perspective (The Witcher 3 and CP 2077 both look great on just about anything) but there are more than a few I feel are always a bit too close or when in UW look plain weird.

Become a Patron!
Back