Samsung Reportedly Discontinuing Galaxy Note Series

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
samsung-galaxy-note20-trio-1024x576.jpg
Image: Samsung

Samsung’s Galaxy Note 20|Note 20 Ultra may be the last of their kind. That’s according to a report from Korean publication Aju News, which claims that the smartphone giant is planning to terminate the Note series due to feature overlap with its upcoming Galaxy Z Fold 3 and Galaxy S21 “Ultra” handsets.

“Samsung Electronics has confirmed that the Galaxy Z Fold 3 will be equipped with the S Pen, a feature of the existing Galaxy Note series,” Aju reported. “Beyond simply mounting the S Pen, it has the character of a terminal that replaces the notebook series by adding an S Pen slot to store the S Pen in the product.”

“As the S Pen technology is applied to the Galaxy Z Fold 3 and Galaxy S21 Ultra (tentative name), the Note series will be discontinued.”

Seeing as how the Galaxy Z Fold 3 and Galaxy...

Continue reading...

I think this makes a lot of sense. Some people will cry foul over the death of this lineup as many have grown really attatched to buying the newest Note device (my sister is an example). I think Samsung should have long ago integrated the lessons they learned with the Note into more and more devices.

For those who don't need a s-pen, the M-series does the trick

I have an m31 & it never ceases to surprise me, how it has such a large battery size yet doesn't feel heavy

I like my note 20 ultra. But I will probably go fold if they get the durability worked out... and an s-pen.

Last edited:
I like my note 20 ultra. But I will probably go fold if they get the durability worked out.

The durability would be my concern if I were shopping for these devices.

I don't buy large form factor devices, standard traditional 5" phones are fine for me, and I have no desire for a stylus. (I don't care what Samsung wants us to call it, it's a stylus.)

If I did though, I'd probably be concerned that in order to replace my existing note with the next gen, I'll be forced to get a fold device with ****ty durability.

That is, unless this planned S21 Ultra is significantly up-sizing the S line.

The durability would be my concern if I were shopping for these devices.

I don't buy large form factor devices, standard traditional 5" phones are fine for me, and I have no desire for a stylus. (I don't care what Samsung wants us to call it, it's a stylus.)

If I did though, I'd probably be concerned that in order to replace my existing note with the next gen, I'll be forced to get a fold device with ****ty durability.

That is, unless this planned S21 Ultra is significantly up-sizing the S line.

The S line is already on par size wise. It's just the note line is normally a bit more refined.

Sucks to hear. I've owned 3 Notes over the years and they have all been superb. I don't use the S Pen a ton but I do use it often and like it. It's also fun to doodle with when I'm bored.

I hate to see them go.

Sucks to hear. I've owned 3 Notes over the years and they have all been superb. I don't use the S Pen a ton but I do use it often and like it. It's also fun to doodle with when I'm bored.

I hate to see them go.

They are basically letting the fold devices replace the note... to be honest this has been predicted since they introduced the fold devices. They for me just lack the durability I want because I expect a high dollar phone to be good for 3 or more years.

I guess it sucks but what I want in a phone has not been a thing for a long time. First, I had to give up on the slider with a keyboard. Then....can I get two SIM cards, an SD card slot, and a removable battery? No, well ****. Compromise compromise compromise. I am down to two sim card slots and SD card slot.......F......

I guess it sucks but what I want in a phone has not been a thing for a long time. First, I had to give up on the slider with a keyboard. Then....can I get two SIM cards, an SD card slot, and a removable battery? No, well ****. Compromise compromise compromise. I am down two sim card slots and SD card slot.......F......

My first mobile phone was the nokia 7110. Best thing was the clickable scroll wheel

Apparently it is still in stock

https://www.mobilevin.com/product/nokia-7110-mobile-phone-brand-new-original-unlocked-cell-phone/

s-l1600-3-2.jpg

I'm really starting to feel the age in my Galaxy Note 4. However I continue to enjoy having a removable battery, and a MicroSD slot. And look, there's a 3.5mm audio jack on my phone too. Which is handy cuz I have to use a cassette adapter to get phone audio in my car (which I use for music and GPS). I think it's fine if Samsung discontinues the Galaxy series, if they bring over some of those features to the regular line at no extra cost (hahahahahaha "at no extra cost," that's some wishful thinking).

I guess it sucks but what I want in a phone has not been a thing for a long time. First, I had to give up on the slider with a keyboard. Then....can I get two SIM cards, an SD card slot, and a removable battery? No, well ****. Compromise compromise compromise. I am down two sim card slots and SD card slot.......F......
Having had a LGV40 for a while now I no longer miss a physical KB, I had a bunch o BBerries before including a slider and pretty much thought I'd never be without one. That was my biggest "Must Have" for a long time.

They are basically letting the fold devices replace the note... to be honest this has been predicted since they introduced the fold devices. They for me just lack the durability I want because I expect a high dollar phone to be good for 3 or more years.

Why would a Note not last 3 or more years? If you're talking about physical durability, the fold is far more delicate than a regular smart phone like the Note. If you're talking about spec wise, the Note releases with top of the line specs and should outlast any phone. I've still got my old Note 2 and it still works just fine despite my kid using it as a toy for a year.

Why would a Note not last 3 or more years? If you're talking about physical durability, the fold is far more delicate than a regular smart phone like the Note. If you're talking about spec wise, the Note releases with top of the line specs and should outlast any phone. I've still got my old Note 2 and it still works just fine despite my kid using it as a toy for a year.

I was saying the fold lacks durability.

When it comes to Samsung devices I have traditionally had two problems, now with the fold there are 4.

The Fold has well noted durability issues, and the asking price is absolutely insane.

The two original complaints are linked.

Samsung has always had pretty solid good hardware. (well, at least when it isn't bursting into flames)

Traditionally Samsung just tries to do too much to differentiate their devices in software, leading to a bloated Touch-Wiz (even though it doesn't go by that name anymore) trying to incorporate a bunch of proprietary Samsung bloatware no one wants (at least not me) when they would be better served by a vanilla Android experience, with a common launcher like Nova.

More importantly, the side effect of this is that they have so much **** custom code in their ROM's that they don't keep up with security patches. Even Googles on Pixel line is marginal in this regard, with Security updates only being updated roughly monthly. Biweekly should really be the target.

Surprisingly LineageOS (former Cyanogenmod) does the best here, with updated security patch levels every couple of days. Only downside it runs on fewer and fewer devices you'd actually wan't.

If I had my druthers, I'd have the latest gen Galaxy S device but with an unlocked bootloader and fully supported LineageOS.

Short of getting a device with an sdcard slot, quick swappable batterly, and audio out jack, that's probably about the best I can hope for these days, and even that will be a stretch.

Just as I finished typing that I went to check the LineageOS website for th efirst time in a while, and it looks like they have added support for my Pixel3. I might install it and get rid of as much as possible of googles forced nonsense I have to deal with today. Good riddance Pixel Launcher always in th ebackground even though I don't use it, and Google Assistant...

Become a Patron!
Back