Samsung Shares Infographic for Odyssey OLED G8, Its First OLED Gaming Monitor with 34-Inch Curved Quantum Dot Ultra QHD OLED Panel, 175 Hz Refresh ...

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Samsung unveiled its Odyssey OLED G8 gaming monitor at IFA 2022 in August, and now, it's following up on that with a new infographic that can confirm all of the key features of upcoming display, which represents the company's first OLED gaming monitor.

See full article...

Wow, a OLED monitor that isn't a cookie cutter panel from LG.

I could be wrong but pretty sure this is the same panel as the one that Dell-Alienware (AW3423DW)l/Philips Evnia (34M2C8600) is using. I was actually cross-checking them last night they have some very similar specs. If so, this will probably be going for $1200-$1500, as they do.

https://www.thefpsreview.com/2022/1...n-europe-where-it-debuted-three-new-displays/

https://www.thefpsreview.com/2022/0...aming-monitor-now-available-at-dell-for-1300/
Who makes that panel?

Who makes that panel?
Not really sure but with the combo of QD and OLED I suspect it's a collaboration of Samsung and LG and if true, we could be nearing an announcement from LG for their own, but I could be completely wrong on both accounts.

oh, one thing to note, as I was reading reviews on those last night is that more than a few people are unhappy with the active cooling fan they use. Can't program a curve and was said to ramp up at times for no apparent reason. I'd forgotten but it was another reason I went with the C2 and something I have to keep remembering to check with these newer panels coming out.

We won't see QD-OLED from LG as that's a patented Samsung technology, unless Samsung is licensing the use to LG, which might be the case.. And as far as I know Samsung is making their own OLED panels for Samsung and Sony branded QD-OLED displayed. The Alienware also uses a Samsung panel.

We won't see QD-OLED from LG as that's a patented Samsung technology, unless Samsung is licensing the use to LG, which might be the case.. And as far as I know Samsung is making their own OLED panels for Samsung and Sony branded QD-OLED displayed. The Alienware also uses a Samsung panel.
Thanks! I couldn't remember beyond hearing about it around a year or so ago.

Who makes that panel?
All Samsung, and all with their sub-par sub-pixel rendering (it's worse than LG's WOLEDs and similar to bad VA panels).

If you've seen a review of the Alienware, this is the same thing but without the G-Sync module, which has a fan that is apparently audible. Not all G-Sync implementations have audible fans though, but this would be one reason to prefer the Samsung iteration, if not for their reputation with consumer electronics and Q/C - and stacking that against Dell's service policies.

Not really sure but with the combo of QD and OLED I suspect it's a collaboration of Samsung and LG and if true, we could be nearing an announcement from LG for their own, but I could be completely wrong on both accounts.
LG will be making their own something. They have that 27" 1440p240 OLED coming out that may be great or may fall flat. Really depends on how well they're tuning OLEDs for desktop use. So far, it's been one disappointment after another*.

*just my opinion, of course, but I love the AW3821DW - 38", slightly curved, 3840x1600 IPS at144Hz with above average brightness; make that, but OLED and with proper sub-pixel rendering and I'm in

If you've seen a review of the Alienware, this is the same thing but without the G-Sync module, which has a fan that is apparently audible. Not all G-Sync implementations have audible fans though, but this would be one reason to prefer the Samsung iteration, if not for their reputation with consumer electronics and Q/C - and stacking that against Dell's service policies.
Since writing this, I've been made aware that Dell has released the Alienware AW3423DWF, which is a FreeSync-only version and I believe lacks the fan of the G-Sync version.

Become a Patron!
Back