Samsung Unveils 49" Gaming Monitor with DQHD (5120×1440) Panel and 240 Hz Refresh Rate

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Samsung has unveiled its new lineup of G9 and G7 Odyssey Gaming Monitors for CES 2020.

The flagship is a 49" monstrosity that utilizes a dual quad high-definition (DQHD; 5120×1440 resolution) VA panel with a 1000R curvature.

Samsung says that the G9 can refresh at 240 Hz, which is mildly suspect, being that current standards (i.e., DisplayPort 1.4 and HDMI 2.0) make that impossible.

The theory is that 240 Hz will be achieved via HDMI 2.1, but there isn't a single GPU on the market yet that supports the standard.

The G9 is also HDR1000 certified, which means that it can hit a peak brightness of 1000 cd/m2.

Samsung's 32" and 27" G7 models are far more convervative. These only sport QHD (2560×1440) HDR600 VA panels.

The G9 has a striking new design with a glossy white exterior and a futuristic infinity core lighting glowing rear core, which includes 52 colors and five lighting effect options. The design and lighting effects stand out from the competition and complement any gaming setup.

Pretty. I'm a display junkie and that G9 looks cool but a bit of a bummer for VA but probably no other way to do that resolution and refresh combo. Just surprised no mention of VRR anywhere. Seem's like a must for 240Hz. Pretty sure we'll be seeing HDMI 2.1 cards before summer gets here though. Some rumors the next consoles may even get it.

VRR isn't a 'must'; it's less necessary the higher the framerate, assuming that framerate is consistent i.e. consistently low frametimes.

Obviously it'd be a glaring omission on any high-end display though.

The bigger issue is that the VA 'inky blacks' tend to get smeared to hell regardless of what refresh rate the monitor manufacturer advertises, and that's what we'd have to wait and see tested.

LG has a 38" that looks much more appealing as an IPS, though we're talking very different size and pixel pitch classes.

I agree that VRR isn't necessarily a must but sure seems like a tear fest about to happen unless paired with a really powerful card. That or only used to play very non-demanding games. With a total pixel count only about 12% than 4k, it's going to take a lot to push that many frames.

Ultimately I agree about having to wait until released and tested. I've also got doubts about VA color & contrast but who knows if they've got some extra tricks under the hood.

Gotta give Samsung credit though. Taking LG on in all display arenas. Taking LG & Apple on in the mobile market and also taking TSMC on in chip production. They're swinging hard in every direction.

Gotta give Samsung credit though. Taking LG on in all display arenas.

Does LG have a comparable screen though? The only comparable that I've seen is the Dell 4919 which matches the resolution and size of this Samsung. Everything else in this ballpark that I've seen has been something by 1080 tall.

I'm certainly interested in this one (and the aforementioned Dell). I've been running 3x 1920x1200 displays for over 10 years now and while these new screens have more pixels, they're still significantly narrower than what I'm used to... yet... I"m still tempted...

How many of my dollars is this going to take from me?

If I'm in the market when these come out I may be looking into one.

Does LG have a comparable screen though?
They've got this thing: https://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-49WL95C-W-ultrawide-monitor but that's only 60Hz and aimed at content creation but otherwise has some similarities.

Here's the page for their current line up of ultrawides.

Thing that I've noticed with LG's higher end offerings is that they tend to focus more on color accuracy which, pun intended, really opened my eyes as to what I was missing with most other monitors when I got my 31MU97. The B9/C9 series T.V.'s are one of the first higher refresh displays I've noticed from them that combines that level color accuracy/contrast/VRR into one package but those are just regular 4k or 1440p.

It'll be interesting to see the rest of the specs for this Samsung when it comes out. Odd how they left some details off the product page.

Become a Patron!
Back