Samsung Unveils Odyssey Neo G9 Monitor with 49-Inch Quantum Mini LED Curved Display

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
samsung-odyssey-neo-g9-monitor-lifestyle-shot-front-1024x576.jpg
Image: Samsung

Samsung has announced its latest Odyssey monitor, the Odyssey Neo G9. Targeting gamers who appreciate expansive views, Samsung’s Odyssey Neo G9 features the industry’s first Quantum Mini LED curved display with 2,048 dimming zones and HDR 2000 support for higher contrast levels and image detail. The panel measures 49 inches and features a 32:9 aspect ratio, Dual Quad High-Definition (5,120×1,440) resolution, a 240 Hz refresh rate, and 1 ms response time. Connectivity options include 1x DisplayPort 1.4 and 2x HDMI 2.1 ports, while tear-free gameplay is ensured via AMD FreeSync Premium Pro support and NVIDIA G-SYNC compatibility. Samsung’s Odyssey Neo G9 will be available by August 9, 2021 for $2,499.99...

Continue reading...

Can't even imagine what my wife would do to certain body parts if I got this(or what shopping spree she would justify for herself) but wow those are impressive specs.

Can't even imagine what my wife would do to certain body parts if I got this(or what shopping spree she would justify for herself) but wow those are impressive specs.

Try it to find out and let us know? Looks nice, but I just got a new monitor and a GPU to drive this one at 240 fps does not exist yet anyways.

If I didn't just get my CX I may have given this a look.

”Honey, it’s not that expensive. I plan on owning it for 5 years which breaks down to $1.36/day. When I sell it for at minimum $500, that will bring the overall cost of ownership down to $1.09. So you see, by buying it now I’m getting at least 20% off later.“

**** that's an expensive display.

And anyone else remember the whole.. "Thin bezels to give you back your desktop!" Mantra that was the thing with LCD's? I guess they have decided to say eff that with "Curved display so you're perspective remains the same across the entire football field.. or... FPS game or... racing game. And with support legs so large it's like having a 500lb man with fire crotch sit on your desk.

Buy her a decoy gift first to soften the blow...

And with support legs so large it's like having a 500lb man with fire crotch sit on your desk.

That paints quite the picture in one's mind.... :)

**** that's an expensive display.
This is why we need OLED... the size and dimming zones are expensive for LCDs, in part because of how they have to construct them and the power requirements involved.

And anyone else remember the whole.. "Thin bezels to give you back your desktop!" Mantra that was the thing with LCD's? I guess they have decided to say eff that with "Curved display so you're perspective remains the same across the entire football field.. or... FPS game or... racing game. And with support legs so large it's like having a 500lb man with fire crotch sit on your desk.
The stands are usually pretty nice, but monitor arms are better if you want your desk space back :)

It checks a lot of boxes, but I'd rather it had 5120 x 1600 (32:10) for the additional height. That would be the equivalent of two adjacent 30" monitors in landscape (i.e., 2560x1600 each). Unpopular resolution in the gaming realm, I know, but some of us use computers for other purposes in addition to gaming.

I might not give Samsung any more money tho ... the last 30" monitor I purchased from them failed while in the warranty period, and it was hell to get it replaced.

The stands are usually pretty nice, but monitor arms are better if you want your desk space back

Yeah but you need a good one, seen Kyle/witwit attach one of these to the wall and the mount can't keep it straight .

I'll never drop $2500 on a monitor. Don't care how good it is.

Yup. $500 max. My current one was $399, Acer 43" 4K and it's awesome. But it's not "elite gamerz" monitor since only 60hz. My eyes do not care.

The poetic justice here is that by the time there's a card that can truly drive this thing it could be well under $2K.
I should be more clear. A monitor like this serves no purpose to someone like me that plays FPS/BR style games.

If I played more RPG's and single player stories I could see the benefit. Even then, no way I'm spending $2500 just for "minor" improvements over my current monitor.

I should be more clear. A monitor like this serves no purpose to someone like me that plays FPS/BR style games.

If I played more RPG's and single player stories I could see the benefit. Even then, no way I'm spending $2500 just for "minor" improvements over my current monitor.
I spent around $1300 on mine. It was my 1st venture into UW gaming. I'd tried some multi-monitor setups over the years but never really committed and then I was getting fed up waiting for my ideal 4K display. I mostly play RPG games and the effect is pretty dramatic. Any time I go back to a 16:9 display I definitely feel like things are missing and don't like it.

Become a Patron!
Back