Screen Burn Qled/Oled

Elf_Boy

Quasi-regular
Anyone have experience with this?

Be nice to pick up a new TV/Monitor - I do not want to deal with screen burn though.

I see articles but that's not the same as experience.

What are the experiences of this great group of power users?

-EB

All my VIZIO TV's have yet to experience any screen burn. My monitors too, nothing. I'm sure it can happen but not to me yet..

What kind of TV/Monitor's do you have - its good to hear no burn.

I've got monitors from LG, Dell and BenQ. The LG is the latest one I've got (LG 27UL500-W), and the Dell and BenQ are older monitors.

My TV's are all older VIZIO TV's. I haven't bought a new TV in like, 5 years..

I see the LG 27UL500-W has an IPS panel, pretty much what I have now.

I was hoping to find out about the Organic LED monitors which are the ones I am hearing have a burn issue. Do any of yours have Organic LED screens?

I see the LG 27UL500-W has an IPS panel, pretty much what I have now.

I was hoping to find out about the Organic LED monitors which are the ones I am hearing have a burn issue. Do any of yours have Organic LED screens?
My apologies. I do not have any Organic LED screens. Missed that in my initial read.. :(

I have a Lg C6 - not on a PC, but plenty of consoles.

Last year, Son left the PlayStation on login screen - bright red rectangle on black background, for almost a full day before I caught it. For whatever reason the PS didn’t go to sleep and the screen did not dim or go to screen saver. It did exhibit a bit of burn in from that that is noticeable under specific conditions, mostly just if you have an nearly all-red static screen.

Under most conditions you could never tell.

Now, that’s an older screen, it has plenty of hours on it, but yeah, it happened. And even with that I won’t hesitate to get an OLED again - they are that much better.

Last edited:
OLED for TVs for content consumption is mature.

Desktop use is an entirely different ballgame, whether Samsung QOLED or LG WOLED.

Neither company has tuned their panels for text rendering in 1:1 / 100% zoom scenarios, i.e., no scaling. LGs WOLED panels tend to do better, if only because you're likely to use desktop scaling on a 4k panel, but those are also limited to flat 16:9 displays starting at 42".

Samsung's 34" ultrawide is in a standard PC format with a resolution that you'd want to run without scaling, and their QOLED panel seems to be a little less optimized for text rendering as well.

So, right now, it comes down to which compromises you want to live with. I'm personally in the IPS camp pretty solidly until we start getting OLED panels that are actually designed for desktop use. I admit I may be waiting for some time.

Under most conditions you could never tell.
Pic. There's a lighter black bar at the top/bottom, which is just from the site I was using to get a solid red screen. It's kinda hard to see with JPEG compression and such, but you can kinda make it out. It isn't really a lot more pronounced than this in person.

IMG_1146.jpg

Running my 48 LG CX here for about a year with no screen burn in. I honestly think it's an blown out of proportion problem IMO. I run a screen saver when I'm away from the PC or I just plain shut the TV off if I'm away for an extended period.

Good to know!

Anyone else use an OLED as a monitor?

How aggressive are you with the screen saver? My typical is 30-60 min, which might not be enough, I am thinking.

How aggressive are you with the screen saver? My typical is 30-60 min, which might not be enough, I am thinking.
Have mine set at 10 minutes, but I'm sure that could be taken out a little longer.

I game minimally with my LG C9 (OLED-purchased in 2019), maybe about 3-6 hours a month, but haven't had any issues with it. I usually try to keep MSI AB turned off, along with any static HUD-type stuff when I can, as well when I do play on it. No issues with anything so far.

However, I can't count how many hours I've used the CRG9 (QLED got it around 2020). It's the daily runner and I've also been playing games a lot more on it on the weekend. It's been a champ. My only complaint is that HDR is more hit or miss, depending on how it's implemented in the game. Some HDR games look great on the C9 or even the Z9D (LCD IPS) but then meh on the CRG9.

I game minimally with my LG C9 (OLED-purchased in 2019), maybe about 3-6 hours a month, but haven't had any issues with it. I usually try to keep MSI AB turned off, along with any static HUD-type stuff when I can, as well when I do play on it. No issues with anything so far.

However, I can't count how many hours I've used the CRG9 (QLED got it around 2020). It's the daily runner and I've also been playing games a lot more on it on the weekend. It's been a champ. My only complaint is that HDR is more hit or miss, depending on how it's implemented in the game. Some HDR games look great on the C9 or even the Z9D (LCD IPS) but then meh on the CRG9.

When you say "Daily Runner" does that include static desktop use? Like hours of MS Office or anything like that?

When you say "Daily Runner" does that include static desktop use? Like hours of MS Office or anything like that?
Yep. However, it's been temporarily retired now that I have the LG C2. At some point, I'm going to set up a desk with it in the cave. The C2 is on the OLED diet, the taskbar is set to hide and items (I only keep around 5-6) on the desktop get moved every now and then, the screen shut off is 5 minutes, etc.

Afaik I know QLED does not have the vulnerability to burn-in as OLED does.

Just dropping this here now. I haven't read it yet but it's probably got some useful info. I'm pretty sure we have a post/thread for it as well and if I can find it I'll drop it there too.

Become a Patron!
Back