Server Upgrade (Epyc Milan + Supermicro H12SSL-NT)

Yet if they were on the same switch.... you could do the same thing... But consume more ports... so that would be a pain.

On my EPYCs I use the BMC web interface on them often to troubleshoot issues. I only need to plug in the LAN port 1 and it will bridge the BMC/IPMI port to it. So the host will show up in my ARP table with two different IPs and two different MAC addresses. One will be the "internet" access to the host the other will be the BMC/IPMI.

On my EPYCs I use the BMC web interface on them often to troubleshoot issues. I only need to plug in the LAN port 1 and it will bridge the BMC/IPMI port to it. So the host will show up in my ARP table with two different IPs and two different MAC addresses. One will be the "internet" access to the host the other will be the BMC/IPMI.
That's nice I didn't think that would work if the system cratered and you needed to access the web interface to stage a recovery remotely.

It works the same as if the dedicated IPMI port was connected. Can power on the system, power off, reboot, access BIOS, OS, pretty much anything as if you were physically at the host with a keyboard and mouse.

It works the same as if the dedicated IPMI port was connected. Can power on the system, power off, reboot, access BIOS, OS, pretty much anything as if you were physically at the host with a keyboard and mouse.
So what I'm gathering from this is that IPMI can be use in-band, out of band, or both?

That's kind of cool, especially from a labber's perspective.

I did not know they could be bridged. It has a dedicated BMC port, so I figured I had to use that. I will have to look into this!

It should do it automatically. Just plug it into LAN port 1 (I'm not sure if LAN2 has the ability) and it'll work. I'll log into one of my boxes real quick and see if their is a setting you can enable, disable or pick the LAN port to bridge to.

edit
SM doesn't seem to have the option in the BMC web interface settings to control the bridge. Not sure if the BIOS has an option somewhere and I can't reboot right now to check. I didn't enable this and it just worked when I first booted this way. So it should be enabled by default for you too.

Last edited:
Become a Patron!
Back