Should I buy a 5800x or wait for the 3d cache version? AM4 last hurrah

Man, I'm looking at those prices and going... well, nowhere, because I can't return the 5700G. But still, $400 for twelve full-size cores?
I'm sure someone would take the 5700g off your hands, post it up in the for sale forum?

The day has come.....now.....where and when are these going to be sold?!?! So far nothing is coming up. I'm guessing they'll hit sites at a certain time.

Got mine coming in from Newegg - 5700G has wet my appetite and will remain a primarily Linux rig, the 5800X3D is going to be the living room gaming rig that I've never really had before!

(the poor 1660 Super that I'm going to try and deshroud has its work cut out for it lol...)

That 5800x3d is wasted on a rig using a 1660....you are going to be really gpu limited. But I get it if that is a stopgap solution if you're waiting to snag something better when available.

Pulled the trigger on a $394 5900X. That'll be my last AM4 purchase for a while until the AM5 platform becomes available and has a chance to mature a bit. Either that or my next step would be to an Intel board but I don't see that happening with Alder Lake at this time.
Yeah, I went ahead with the 5800X3D but I did notice how those prices dropped. I was really tempted but want to see this new tech in action, plus I have doubts about how my MB would handle a 5900X. It's the 1st gen from MSI that had the reports about the hot VRMs when under heavy load. For me, the 5800X3D should be the sweet spot for that MB.

The day has come.....now.....where and when are these going to be sold?!?! So far nothing is coming up. I'm guessing they'll hit sites at a certain time.
AMD and NewEgg have sold out(there's already a scalper on NE) but NewEgg does have some game combos that might still be live.

Yeah, I went ahead with the 5800X3D but I did notice how those prices dropped. I was really tempted but want to see this new tech in action, plus I have doubts about how my MB would handle a 5900X. It's the 1st gen from MSI that had the reports about the hot VRMs when under heavy load. For me, the 5800X3D should be the sweet spot for that MB.

Same TDP though...

Well, one thing is for sure, I can't wait to see how it and the Suprim 3090 get along in 4K/120 Hz on the LG C9 and on the CRG9 in 5120x1440 100 Hz. For kicks, I might even connect the MSI Optix 2560x1080 200 Hz just to let them have some fun.

5900 and 5800x3d have same rated TDP of 105W. From best I can find, barring pushing overclocks, they peak pretty similarly around 130-140W

5900 and 5800x3d have same rated TDP of 105W. From best I can find, barring pushing overclocks, they peak pretty similarly around 130-140W
I'm seeing ~110W for the 5800X3D - we'll see what it really comes out to - but generally it seems that it's not safe to push it much further, nor is it a cheap endeavor.

I'm sure we'll have a review on it coming up but I just did a quick glance around the net and found some specs about the power draw. With all cores loaded it can hit ~193W and that review showed a 5900X hitting 222W. At idle it purred along at 59W, not too bad, and single max core at 110W.

Become a Patron!
Back