Some GeForce RTX 4080 Cards Are Sitting on Retailer Shelves despite Lower Shipments from NVIDIA

Peter_Brosdahl

Staff member
Some GeForce RTX 4080 graphics cards have been spotted sitting on store shelves a day after their release as consumers may be rejecting their price points.

See full article...

That was an interesting reading.
It seems that your logic is sound. If I'm asked to pay 1399 for a middle stack 4080, why not just wait a bit and buy the 4090 when it comes back into stock?
I hope that AMD sticks to it's pricing and the performance is competative, that may have some push for nvidia to lower the 4080 prices.

I hope that AMD sticks to it's pricing and the performance is competative, that may have some push for nvidia to lower the 4080 prices.
What I'm also curious about is what this will do to the pricing for the entire product stack under the 4080. The ramifications are pretty big considering we're probably seeing at least 3-5 more card launches below it. I expect some interesting price wars in the next 90 days.

So, question.

Do you think the 4080 would have been better received as-is: current performance and price, if the 4090 had an even higher MSRP than it currently does?

My opinion: had nVidia prices the 4090 at $1,999: they would have still sold almost the same number of 4090s as they have at the current price, and we would still be grumbling about how prices have went up, but 4080s would also be flying off the shelves because they would look like a great deal compared to a much higher priced 4090.

So, question.

Do you think the 4080 would have been better received as-is: current performance and price, if the 4090 had an even higher MSRP than it currently does?

My opinion: had nVidia prices the 4090 at $1,999: they would have still sold almost the same number of 4090s as they have at the current price, and we would still be grumbling about how prices have went up, but 4080s would also be flying off the shelves because they would look like a great deal compared to a much higher priced 4090.
I thought about it too and I'm not sure. I agree that if they'd priced the 4090 at $2K it still would've sold, and probably cut into scalper's profits, but I'm not sure if that would've made the difference for a $1599 4080 but it might've considering it's on par with a 3090 Ti that sold for about the same. Meanwhile, the AMD $899 threat would still be there and AMD now has multiple gens where it's top tier cards can compete favorably with NV's previous flagship cards which is where the 4080 is at (sans DLSS still).

Price is going to stay high so long as there is sufficient 3000-series stock - and so long as they have no pricing pressure.

Yes, AMD's new GPUs will likely result in fewer Nvidia GPUs being sold, and that should then result in price adjustments for released Nvidia GPUs. But this all depends on what margins Nvidia is willing to sell at.

Price is going to stay high so long as there is sufficient 3000-series stock - and so long as they have no pricing pressure.

Yes, AMD's new GPUs will likely result in fewer Nvidia GPUs being sold, and that should then result in price adjustments for released Nvidia GPUs. But this all depends on what margins Nvidia is willing to sell at.
Ought to make NV's next investor call more interesting. ;)

Nvidia priced out a great deal of people and at the price points they are at , the people that would buy, will buy the top end at these differences. Perhaps if top dog was 3000$ it would be enough to for even someone with a fair amount of disposable income to have some pause.
This is why AMD targets 1000 and under, though I am sure board partners will screw things, under 1000$ is different price mentality, and consumer. I wouldn't touch a 4080, its just worthless compared to the 4090, if I was at that price point with that bit of disposable income (I am not, would have been pre inflation, made budget and everything... Just getting crushed here)

Nobody in their right mind is buying the 4080 with the 7900XTX right around the corner.
If I didn't have a 3080 12GB, I'd consider it. I wouldn't consider it a 'smart' purchase, but Nvidia still does have significant advantages in ray tracing performance as well as DLSS 2.x, where implemented well.

That doesn't mean that the RX7000-series won't be competitive as it entirely depends on which games you play with what performance expectations, including resolution, visual fidelity, and framerate one is after. Just means that despite AMD's impending release, Nvidia's pricing isn't crazy. It's just unpalatable, IMO ;)

Just checked my local microcenter - there are at least 50 4080s in stock. I have a 3080ti though, and I can’t really justify spending 1200+ for a 4080. At that price, I’ll just wait for the 4090s to come back in stock

Great way to incentivize people to buy up the remaining 3080-3090 stock. I'm curious to see what the BF/Xmas sales prices will be on Ampere. So far the best deal seems to be the 6600/6650XT or 6800XT cards from AMD. The best from Nvidia is the 3060 12GB with a free copy of Darktide for $349.

I can’t really see recommending last gen video cards to anyone that would ask me what to get. We would have to be talking substantial discounts for it to make sense.

It's almost as if people have forgotten how retail is supposed to work.

There is supposed to be inventory sitting on shelves waiting for people to buy it when they jolly well feel like wandering in off of the street, without standing in lines or going through other extreme efforts to get their hands on it.

That is normal.

The standing in line, waiting lists, having to pay scalpers or shady retailers 2x the MSRP, having to go to 20 different stores to just to be lucky to find one. That is abnormal, and a sign of a malfunctioning market.

Normal is walking in off the street at random, and having an assortment of different models and price points to choose from, all in stock without any hoops to jump through.

We should be surprised or shocked at normalcy.

It's just ****ty that it has taken their products being extremely overpriced for us to get to normal, but this is normal.

Become a Patron!
Back