Sony Backtracks on Its Helldivers 2 PSN Account Linking Requirement Following Backlash from Players

Peter_Brosdahl

Staff member
There is still no acknowledgment of the countries that PSN does not support nor the above changes on its support page but at least for now, Helldivers 2 players needn't worry about the forced account linking.

See full article...

Yea that was an about face that shouldn't have ever happened. None of the other PSN games that have ported to PC have required it. Hopefully never will.

Apparently Ghost of Tsutsima will also require it for multiplayer, but maybe they'll think twice now.

Meanwhile sony fans are seething over the reversal for some reason.

Meanwhile sony fans are seething over the reversal for some reason.
I admit I hadn't thought of that happening but in retrospect, I think I get it. I mean, if they have to and PC users don't it would be a slap in the face for anyone who bought it on console. Yep, a bit of a mess for Sony. It sounds like Sony may only be doing this for multiplayer stuff though but it's still too early to know for sure.

I admit I hadn't thought of that happening but in retrospect, I think I get it. I mean, if they have to and PC users don't it would be a slap in the face for anyone who bought it on console. Yep, a bit of a mess for Sony. It sounds like Sony may only be doing this for multiplayer stuff though but it's still too early to know for sure.
Don't you always need a PSN account on PS for multiplayer?

Don't you always need a PSN account on PS for multiplayer?
Yeah, this. I thought you needed a PSN account just to turn the **** thing on.

I don't really get all the outrage over this, in either direction. I mean, yeah, it sucks a little bit if you didn't already have an account because it takes you 3 minutes to make one, but so long as they aren't making you go through another launcher and logging in every time - it doesn't cost any money and it's just a one-time thing. Sure, it's data collection, but they already do that inside the game to a high degree, so it isn't like you are eliminating it or anything.

So, I wasn't going to play this game one way or another, so my opinion is mostly moot (I don't do third person games, or co-op games) but I am glad the community pushback worked.

If this had been a title I was interested in, I would just have jolly rogered it before ever creating an account with any developer/publisher.

I feel fully justified in doing so. I believe in paying the developers for their work, but only if they are ethical in their development. If they try to pull forced online account-sign-in or forcing a launcher/store on me I don't want then I become almost determined to screw them over as much as I can.

For Multiplayer it will, but for single player it won't.
Does anybody actually read posts on this forum anymore? I say it will require it for multiplayer. Replies: yeah but only for multiplayer. What is going on is everybody in on a practical joke against me where they ignore what I write and then lambast me for sg. that was already in the OP?

Become a Patron!
Back