Sony to Allocate 60% of PS5 Game Development Spending toward Live Service Games

In the case of EQ - it was originally developed by 989 and Verant Interactive, both of which were wholly owned by SoE at the time, and were shortly after the release of EQ straight up dissolved into just SoE.

So, I guess you could say EQ (and probably dozens of other titles) wasn't made by Sony, but ... it was made by Sony. There is no where else the money trail leads to.
Funding came from sony, yes, that means they are investors and publishers, not the developers. Sure they probably have more direct input on first party titles, but I don't think that means they made them.

Funding came from sony, yes, that means they are investors and publishers, not the developers. Sure they probably have more direct input on first party titles, but I don't think that means they made them.
Nah, that's Sony through and through. The company was created and owned by Sony from the beginning.

It's not like Sony just bought them out at some point. Sony created the studio to make games for the PlayStation and Windows PC.

I even own a switch to play Zelda. Only game I've played on it.
If you're interested in playing TotK, it runs just fine on PC via emulation at 4K 60fps. I got a few friends playing through it that way. You'll get a much better experience than on the console itself with the low dynamic res and the 30fps with drops below. Even some mods to improve some things, from what I hear. I don't know the specifics. I wish I had waited to play BotW via emulation (although I borrowed the game on Wii U so it was no cost to me), and if I eventually do play TotK, it will definitely be via emulation. Same goes for when I played WW HD and TP HD. I played them on Wii U but those who played them on PC got a better experience.

I do hate that they keep trying to sue people for everything all the time.
Sometimes it feels like their main business is suing people, and developing games and consoles is just a side business. They have especially been a bunch of *ssholes when it comes to ROMs and game preservation. Tired of their games never having decent sales either. That's why with Nintendo systems you usually have to roll with a soft-modded system. Really sets those systems free. Been having a blast with my soft-modded 3DS XL. Also lets you properly back up your save data which you can't do on systems like Wii and Wii U without soft-modding. My bro and I each have a friend that has a soft-modded Switch, some nice shiznit there too.

Sometimes it feels like their main business is suing people, and developing games and consoles is just a side business.
If they don't aggressively defend their trademarked properties, they lose the trademark. Them suing is a testament to the property's popularity, where people in their zeal want to do whatever strikes their fancy with the trademarked property.

Well, if they wanted a successful live service then buying a company that already has one is probably the easiest way.

It is totally crazy to me that companies would gamble away money like this on awful live service games that have a million in one chance of turning into perpetual money cows.

Especially knowing that single player story driven games if not trash are sure investments. Of course they don't make 100x ROI, but isn't consistently making money better than chasing that unicorn with failure after failure?
Live service games are the reason Sony acquired Bungie. They don't have the capital to buy a bigger publishing house like Activision or EA.

If they don't aggressively defend their trademarked properties, they lose the trademark. Them suing is a testament to the property's popularity, where people in their zeal want to do whatever strikes their fancy with the trademarked property.
I heard this excuse before but no other company does anything remotely similar to nintendo and still they have their trademarks intact.

Whatever they fancy like record a video of them playing a game. The nerve, how dare they?

I heard this excuse before but no other company does anything remotely similar to nintendo and still they have their trademarks intact.

Whatever they fancy like record a video of them playing a game. The nerve, how dare they?
I agree, Nintendo is nutty, I love them, but they nutty. They started attacking over 'lets play' videos. I know they would either send take down, demonetized , or forced the money back to them ( how ever that works) don't know if they are still as agressive or if no one makes ' lets play' based on nintemo anymore.

Become a Patron!
Back