Sony Wants to Make It Easier for You to Pay by Adding Credit Card Processing to Its Controllers

Peter_Brosdahl

Moderator
Staff member
Joined
May 28, 2019
Messages
11,146
Reaction score
7,920
A recently discovered patent filed by Sony shows that the console manufacturer may be looking into ways for customers to pay using their credit cards with its controllers. Well, parents, consider this your heads-up on a potential nightmare if you don’t have things locked down or safely hidden away. According to a new patent, Sony […]

See full article...
 
You know what. No. Just let me scan a qr code with my phone and tap to pay there. I do not want this functionality that a consumer will pay for to make it more convenient to give you money. Microtransactions my ***.
 
You know what. No. Just let me scan a qr code with my phone and tap to pay there. I do not want this functionality that a consumer will pay for to make it more convenient to give you money. Microtransactions my ***.
I think this is specifically targeting children. Just swipe your granny's credit card and go wild.
 
Well, it's already been possible on the phone for years now. Why not your game controller too?

Guy at work recently got hit for $300 on Roblox because his 5 year old held his phone up to his face while he was sleeping on the couch to unlock some payment there. Or at least that's the story, and it's good enough I believe him.
 
There's always a way around everything but I still won't use face id or fingerprint for anything. Too many cons for a pro I don't need. I also remember the story about when reportedly some cops or agents used the fingers of an unconscious gang member during a bust to unlock their phone. No reason someone else could do the same to anyone who was out of it enough as well.
 
Guy at work recently got hit for $300 on Roblox because his 5 year old held his phone up to his face while he was sleeping on the couch to unlock some payment there. Or at least that's the story, and it's good enough I believe him.
Woooooooooooooooooooooooooow!!!!!!
Also if facial unlock was the only authentication point then that was doomed to fail. For something like payments you should have passwords+pins and/or fingerprint or whatever the f*ck. 2FA dat biznatch. Don't just leave it with something simple like facial recognition, sheesh.

There's always a way around everything but I still won't use face id or fingerprint for anything.
Agreed. I only use fingerprint to make it easier to unlock my phone quickly, but even that method requires password or PIN backup every few uses. I'm using passwords and PINs everywhere else, and of course Authenticator app like whoa. Banking shiznit (if on phone and away from PC) needs both password and fingerprint.

I was never onboard with facial recognition. Right out the gate people were tricking cameras with pictures. At that point it was already game over.

I also remember the story about when reportedly some cops or agents used the fingers of an unconscious gang member during a bust to unlock their phone. No reason someone else could do the same to anyone who was out of it enough as well.
Oh snaaaaaaap, daaaaaaaaaaaaaang!

Only reason I don't disable fingerprint usage on my phone is cuz the fingerprint reader f*cking sucks. I can barely get it to work, so good luck to someone else trying to use the finger of my unconscious body. Might be quicker to invent a machine that can read minds and then use that to find out my PIN and/or password.
 
Become a Patron!
Back
Top