Sources: New 12-Pin Power Connector Exclusive to GeForce RTX 30 Series Founders Editions

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
nvidia-geforce-rtx-2080-ti-flipped-1024x577.jpg
Image: NVIDIA

We previously reported that NVIDIA’s RTX 30 Series graphics cards could debut with a new type of power connector. The reality may be slightly different. According to TweakTown’s sources, there will be a new 12-pin PCIe power connector, but it will be exclusive to NVIDIA’s own design. What that means is that you’ll only find it on the RTX 30 Series Founders Editions.

“I’ve been talking to industry sources of mine who have said that NVIDIA will be using the 12-pin PCIe power connector on its new GeForce RTX 30 series Founders Edition graphic cards, while AIB partners on the other hand will...

Continue reading...

that means noone can use it as there are no PSU's with this connector.

So, everyone is just going to be using adapters then, huh?

Because I can't imagine PSU makers maki g special connectors just for founders editions.

Side note:

THREE 8pin connectors?

So, the slot itself can provide 75w in spec.

Each 8pin connector can carry 150w.

That's a potential max power of 525w....

Now, that doesn't mean that we will need all of them, but at least it means that 2x8pin (75+150+150 = 375w) weren't enough...

Doesn't really say what the configuration is, could be this single 12 replacing 2x8 for ~375W - which is the way I am reading it.

Which, ok, cool, but everyone is just going to have 2x8 -> 1x12 adapters hanging off there anyway...

Interesting, considering the 295X2 was a 500W card and it ran on two 8-pin PCI-E power cables.

another reason to avoid the Founders Edition and wait for the AIB versions which has the better cooling anyway

True, but I was under the impression that Nvidia cherry-picks the best dies for their founders editions, so that if you want to get a good overclock, especially if you plan on adding a water block, founders editions are a huge advantage.

True, but I was under the impression that Nvidia cherry-picks the best dies for their founders editions, so that if you want to get a good overclock, especially if you plan on adding a water block, founders editions are a huge advantage.
Mostly true. Last time around we also had OG and AG variants as well. I will say that Strix OC editions will typically rival founders. Founders may win underwater with going higher and quieter but they're still pretty close overall. In part though, that's because Strix OC editions are custom PCB's, or at least were for the 2080 Ti's.

earlier rumors had the AIB cards launching at the same time as the Founders Edition so hopefully that's true...doesn't really make sense as most people would just get the AIB cards

Mostly true. Last time around we also had OG and AG variants as well. I will say that Strix OC editions will typically rival founders. Founders may win underwater with going higher and quieter but they're still pretty close overall. In part though, that's because Strix OC editions are custom PCB's, or at least were for the 2080 Ti's.

OG huh? Sounds badass :p

Would this be a mayor launch o a paper launch? I wonder about that, huge dies, new process, more power , more memory, feels like a possible anemic aka paper launch, then again its Nvidia, no love here, but can't argue they deliver.

Would this be a mayor launch o a paper launch? I wonder about that, huge dies, new process, more power , more memory, feels like a possible anemic aka paper launch, then again its Nvidia, no love here, but can't argue they deliver.

Tough to tell. Usually GPU companies overpromise when they have something disappointing on their hand to try to cut off sales losses to the competition, and tend to under promise or at least be more accurate when they are in a comfortable lead.

Who knows where they fall on this one.

Based on what I'd read I'm guessing they will have a disappointing increase in traditional raster graphics, but a very impressive increase in raytracing, over last gen.

I'm betting on another 1080 style launch.

Sure, there are cards available day 1. Like 5 of them. And 5 per week. For a really long time.

It took almost six months for 1080 supply to finally catch up, and a lot of that I suspect the shift to GDDR5X and it's newness / lack of availability.

So it won't be a "paper launch", but yeah, it's a paper launch.

I'm betting on another 1080 style launch.

Sure, there are cards available day 1. Like 5 of them. And 5 per week. For a really long time.

It took almost six months for 1080 supply to finally catch up, and a lot of that I suspect the shift to GDDR5X and it's newness / lack of availability.

So it won't be a "paper launch", but yeah, it's a paper launch.
It's kind of funny. I forget the trackers(is it in stock?), but since Maxwell I've tried using some but ultimately just blind luck clicking on a retailer at the right time is how I got my 1080s, 1080 Ti, 2080 Super, and 2080 Ti.

I love the smell of melted adapters in the morning......

Been there, done that...

(Though for me it was an 8 pin 12v motherboard EPS extension cable, not an adapter)

196494_IMG_20190223_165838(2).jpg196496_IMG_20190223_165913(2).jpg

I used to think most of these problems were just due to idiots overdrawing power on connectors not rated for it, but it turns out there are just a lot of ****ty adapters/extenders out there and it's really tough to know which ones the good ones are...

Become a Patron!
Back