Spider-Man Returning to the MCU: Sony Pictures and Disney Agree to New Deal

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Fans of Tom Holland's Spider-Man can finally stop whining, as Sony Pictures and Disney have agreed to a new financing deal that will keep the wall crawler in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Under the new agreement, Marvel and Disney will receive roughly 25% of the profits, as well as all merchandising rights.

Marvel Studios president Kevin Feige will return as a consulting producer for the next film, which will be released on July 16, 2021 and continue the "Homecoming" series. The new deal also allows for Spider-Man to feature in one future Marvel film.

“I am thrilled that Spidey’s journey in the MCU will continue, and I and all of us at Marvel Studios are very excited that we get to keep working on it,” Feige said in a statement. “Spider-Man is a powerful icon and hero whose story crosses all ages and audiences around the globe. He also happens to be the only hero with the superpower to cross cinematic universes, so as Sony continues to develop their own Spidey-verse you never know what surprises the future might hold.”

So wait did Marvel/Disney just pull a George Lucas on Sony? The Toy drive for spider/mutant product is going to be nuts.

I'm happy about this but just as confused. I wonder if Sony is going to continue to try and create a non-spiderman universe?

Awesome news but I still think Sony is filled with a bunch of idiots and really hope Disney finds a way to take Spider-Man from them for good.

My understanding is that the contract between Marvel and Sony/Columbia Pictures has pretty strict timelines for releasing new Spider-Man movies. This is why Sony keeps doing reboots; if they don't release something, they'll lose the license, and Disney will never license it out again, ever; but on the other hand, making more than three movies in a series is hard.

This felt like a hostage situation from the beginning. Glad they came to terms, but agree that Disney needs to take the rights from Sony for good.

It would be nice to see a good FF movie for once.
I hear its on the back burner for the time being. Hopefully the next go around they dig into some of the John Byrne run. Guy wrote/drew something like 100+ issues and there's a lot of great material to draw upon.

So wait did Marvel/Disney just pull a George Lucas on Sony? The Toy drive for spider/mutant product is going to be nuts.

I don't think so. There have been Spider-Man toys for decades so it's nothing new. Plus kids today couldn't care less about toys. It's all about electronics. Trust me, I've got a 10 year old boy and he hasn't played with a toy since he was around 2....and that was a toy laptop lol

So far my two favorite superhero movies were Batman (Tim Burton) and Dark Knight (Chris Nolan).
Batman was never my favorite comic, but those two directors took the same material in different directions and they both worked out great.
I mean... how different can you get than Nicholson's and Ledger's take on Joker, but they both knocked it out of the park.

I don't want to see anymore Batman reboots though.

For me, Spiderman, that was always at it's best when it was a Coming of Age story. Which, unfortunately.... doesn't lend to sequels well, and like Batman, Spiderman has been rebooted to death too.

Disney/Sony have the ability to get a couple more movies out of this before into the spider verse becomes a thing.

I could see Spiderman making the big sacrifice play to save heck.. a couple kids let alone the world/galaxy. So I'm all for something like that to help keep the story fresh. Where we have the problem here is keeping the story connected into the larger marvel universe. Since we have established a multiverse then it shouldn't be a problem to create another spiderman on earth 689 or whatever and then have them come across and join the larger Marvel Multiverse. ;) Or even Wanda to do her thing and Make a new spiderman happen which would be incredible odds otherwise.

Become a Patron!
Back