Splinter Cell Remake to Feature Updated Story, Rewritten for a “Modern-Day Audience”

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Ubisoft Toronto's Splinter Cell remake will feature an updated story, one that will be rewritten for a "modern-day audience," according to a new job listing that Ubisoft shared to weed out potential scriptwriting candidates for the new version of its critically acclaimed stealth classic.

Go to post

one that will be rewritten for a "modern-day audience,"
The main character is a Ex-Olympian post-op trans who now identifies as Xer, your guns shoot bubbles (which are biodegradable and sustainably sourced), and the stealth mechanic has been replaced with social media scoring -- you must get sufficient Likes to unlock gated areas.

The main character is a Ex-Olympian post-op trans who now identifies as Xer, your guns shoot bubbles (which are biodegradable and sustainably sourced), and the stealth mechanic has been replaced with social media scoring -- you must get sufficient Likes to unlock gated areas.
Careful, users got banned for making fun of it on reddit.

Anyone else waiting on a game company to go off the deep end and just say screw it?

Protagonist is replaced by a stacked overly sexualized badass female lead who uses violence stealth and sex to achieve her mission parameters without fail. You know.. a female James bond. Have her grace the box art and everything. Kind of like the cover of the book Friday.

Anyone else waiting on a game company to go off the deep end and just say screw it?

Protagonist is replaced by a stacked overly sexualized badass female lead who uses violence stealth and sex to achieve her mission parameters without fail. You know.. a female James bond. Have her grace the box art and everything. Kind of like the cover of the book Friday.
They did that already with Nolf

What is this Nolf you speak of. I am not familiar with it at all.

Ok... let me use the word... MODERN. Sadly... a 22 year old game isn't considered modern any more. I could name an number of games that didn't care back in the day and did what they wanted.

Everquest. (bondage box art.)
Laura Croft anyone? (old not new)
Any number of Beach Vollyball games.
Most fighting games.
And the list just go's on and on.

Hell I want back to playing SWTOR and I'm surprised at how ummm... portrayed all of the female characters on compared to more modern games.

Yea the graphics aren't great... but every female character is like... well represented. ;)

Ok... let me use the word... MODERN. Sadly... a 22 year old game isn't considered modern any more. I could name an number of games that didn't care back in the day and did what they wanted.

Everquest. (bondage box art.)
Laura Croft anyone? (old not new)
Any number of Beach Vollyball games.
Most fighting games.
And the list just go's on and on.

Hell I want back to playing SWTOR and I'm surprised at how ummm... portrayed all of the female characters on compared to more modern games.

Yea the graphics aren't great... but every female character is like... well represented. ;)
The only way you get that type of character design today is by way of mods. It's as if nobody in the entertainment industry today understands that entertainment is escapism, it does not need to reflect the real world, it must not. Who wants to see ugly, badly dressed people in games?

The only way you get that type of character design today is by way of mods. It's as if nobody in the entertainment industry today understands that entertainment is escapism, it does not need to reflect the real world, it must not. Who wants to see ugly, badly dressed people in games?
Have you played an MMO? Badly Dressed is the default state. lol. But yea I get your point.

The problem with those 2 Nolf games is that the IP is tied up in some distorted reality where noone knows who has the rights to make more of them sadly enough as they were pretty good.

The problem with those 2 Nolf games is that the IP is tied up in some distorted reality where noone knows who has the rights to make more of them sadly enough as they were pretty good.
At this point nobody but a few veterans even know the name. So if somebody wants to make a game like that they might as well do it as a new IP.

Wouldn't be surprising if there is some more diversity in gender orientation, as well as stronger female and minority characters. Nothing wrong with that. Games are more engaging when they reflect reality.

That said, this was probably necessary.

Have you played a game from 2002 lately?

A couple of years ago I played the first Far Cry from 2004. The dialogue, story and plot lines were obnoxiously bad. I totally believe that it needs some updating to pass modern muster, even if it isn't diversity and inclusion based.

That said, if they are going to go through all of that toruble, why not just call it a new game in the splinter cell universe?

I replayed them a couple of years ago. Grabbed them when that article was going around saying that "no one knows who owns the rights, so lets pirate them"

By modern standards they were... OK I guess. At least the first two. The third really dropped the ball and was abysmal. I only lasted a half an hour in that one before I quit in disappointment.

Back when they were released I bet they stood out compared to the poor story lines and character development of most games at the time, but these days they don't quite hold up.

I replayed them a couple of years ago. Grabbed them when that article was going around saying that "no one knows who owns the rights, so lets pirate them"

By modern standards they were... OK I guess. At least the first two. The third really dropped the ball and was abysmal. I only lasted a half an hour in that one before I quit in disappointment.

Back when they were released I bet they stood out compared to the poor story lines and character development of most games at the time, but these days they don't quite hold up.
That's a good point.. besides... calling a chick Solid Snake will be even MORE cringey.

That said, this was probably necessary.

Have you played a game from 2002 lately?
Not too sure what you are getting at by this?

I did fire up Doom 64 the other day. But... I don't know how diversity or inclusion would have improved, or lack of it detracts from it. There's stuff, you shoot it. Even from my previous picture - Everquest had scantily clad goddess elfs. You still have that today, just probably not quite as sexualized -- unless it's an Asian-developed game, in which case, the elfs are probably pre-teen with even less clothing. And by my Steam posting - yeah, just because today is "woke" doesn't mean there still isn't stuff out there and readily available -- in fact, I'd go so far in to say if you called it "wrong" to certain crowds, they would clap back at you about kink shaming.

There are some obvious examples of things where you see it today and go -- ok, that wouldn't fly today. Old looney Toons cartoons come instantly to mind. I don't know that I would necessarily call it wrong though - we are looking back at things with a modern perspective, things have changed. Yeah, we wouldn't do things the same way today, but things were different then - I don't necessarily judge the past using the standards of today.

Kinda like if they passed a law which criminalizes smoking - then tried to go and arrest anyone who's ever smoked a cigarette outdoors from before the law passed.

*edit*

I'm all for them remaking the game if they want to. Updating old games to new graphics engines is awesome, for the most part, in my view. But I don't like it when we go back and try to pretend our past doesn't exist by overwriting it - that doesn't make the past go away, and it doesn't change anything that happened. In fact, I would contend it makes it worse because you aren't acknowledging it in the first place and just seemingly trying to bury it.

I guess the original game isn't going away, so maybe my rant is totally misguided here. But my oiriginal comment stands - rewriting it for a "modern day audience" - well, that's what I see from a modern day audience, and I don't understand how that would make it any different or better of a game -- nothing against diversity or inclusion, but I get leery when companies use it as a marketing point, not just a fact of life.

Last edited:

First modernish game that came to mind was Succubus. Not especially Bond-like, but violent and overly sexual ... or so a friend tells me.

Become a Patron!
Back