Spotify Announces Lossless, CD-Quality Streaming Tier

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
spotify-phone-pattern-mint-green-1024x576.jpg
Image: Spotify

Spotify has announced that it will be introducing a lossless, CD-quality streaming tier dubbed Spotify HiFi in 2021. The popular audio streamer announced the news during its recent Stream On event, which confirmed that the new tier would be available in select markets beginning later this year. Pricing is yet to be announced, but for reference, the company charges $9.99/month and $14.99/month for its Individual and Family accounts, respectively.

“High-quality music streaming is consistently one of the most requested new features by our users,” Spotify noted in its announcement. “Spotify HiFi will deliver music in CD-quality, lossless audio format to your device and Spotify Connect-enabled speakers, which means fans will be able to experience more depth and...

Continue reading...

Yes! Lossless audio! So that it can be recompressed and played over crappy bluetooth!
Nah, cast over Wi-Fi and you can 16-bit/44.1kHz no sweat. Even an old Chromecast Audio puck can handle that with it's on board DAC.
Certainly most phones should have a DAC that can do it as well. Just use wired cans or wire to stereo if no Wi-Fi.

Nah, cast over Wi-Fi and you can 16-bit/44.1kHz no sweat. Even an old Chromecast Audio puck can handle that with it's on board DAC.
Certainly most phones should have a DAC that can do it as well. Just use wired cans or wire to stereo if no Wi-Fi.

The only time I stream audio is in my truck, over bluetooth. Most people use bluetooth wireless headphones connected to their phones while listening to music.

I think streaming lossless audio will be useless to the majority of people.

The only time I stream audio is in my truck, over bluetooth. Most people use bluetooth wireless headphones connected to their phones while listening to music.

I don't know man, a lot of ppl I know including myself stream at home, I listen to Jazz radio station online and also stream Tidal masters.
Stereo in my office is on a lot during the day. I don't use headphones personally.

I don't know man, a lot of ppl I know including myself stream at home, I listen to Jazz radio station online and also stream Tidal masters.
Stereo in my office is on a lot during the day. I don't use headphones personally.
Im with Auer here, I know a ton of people who stream at home and even at the office. I myself do so via Wi-Fi to some connected speakers on my home entertainment center.

I consider myself an audiophile and streaming is my main music source, I used Deezer and Tidal both in lossless over the past ~4 years and I never tried spotify because they don't have a lossless tier but I keep hearing about how awesome they suggestion algorithm is.
I might have to check it out even though Tidal got a lot better with suggestion over the past few months. I have also heard good things about amazon music HD. It's great to have more options!

I like good sound. I can tell the difference between lossless and compressed audio on my rig hooked up to my HT. But knowing the lengths some people go to, I wouldn't consider myself an audiophile. Honestly, 95 times out of 100, I'm listening to music in my truck going down the road, in my earphones while cutting wood, while out in the garage working on something, or while playing a game sitting at the computer. All of those cases I'm semi-distracted from the music, and I couldn't tell the difference even if I weren't because of how it's being played.

Rarely do I take the opportunity to just sit down and listen to an album. It's something I should do more often though.

Become a Patron!
Back