SSD Prices May Be Going Up Again

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
DigiTimes has a paywalled article that alludes to a substantial increase on SSD prices. The excerpt says that major memory module manufacturers (Adata Technology, Phison Electronics, and Team Group) "are mulling a 10-15% hike in SSD prices and enforcing a limited-supply policy amid growing expectations that both NAND flash and DRAM chip prices may rebound."

SSDs were supposed to drop below $0.10 per GB by the end of the year, but that report may no longer be accurate. The timing could be especially disappointing for enthusiasts who are planning to upgrade to PCIe 4.0 SSDs.

There's also a second report about rising NAND and DRAM prices due to Toshiba's June 15 power outage. That increase is supposed to be "short-lived," however.

I think a number of us saw this coming between the power outages, floods, tariff's, factories getting hacked(thought I saw a story on that a few months back), the custodian forgot to refill the t.p., the mail got delivered to the wrong address, and they forgot to bring my side of ranch, it pretty much seemed inevitable. Strange thing is that I also thought they had some investigations in either Japan or China and fined someone over things like this. If I remember correctly it was either Nand or ram.

For those planning on upgrading to PCIe 4.0 SSD's I'd suggest waiting a bit either way. Early reviews have not been that favorable unless you need to move single files in the 50-70GB range. For gaming they just don't seem to be optimized yet.

Didn't the LCD makers get sued when they were colluding to do price fixing?

Didn't the LCD makers get sued when they were colluding to do price fixing?

Yeah but I bet the amount they made by price fixing dwarved the amount they got fined in any legal case.

Yeah like with WD and the other HDD manufactures where a single flood caused increased prices for like what, 10 years? Yeah I'm sure this is due to demand though. South Korea and Japan acting like children certainly isn't helping.

Become a Patron!
Back