Star Wars Fans Are Beginning to Realize That the Sequel Trilogy Is Worse than the Prequels

Yeah, can't say I'm a fan of it. Agree that the plot whips by and you barely have a chance to register what's happening. It has a lot of logic fails like TLJ. Might've been more, actually, I'm still trying to digest what I had seen.

I couldn't help but feel, after seeing the hundreds of Sith loyalists at the end, there's a much more interesting story involving them as the primary fighting force. They could've reversed the original trilogy by having the Sith portrayed as a sinister Rebel Alliance (small numbers, guerilla fighters, wrestling control from the New Republic in smaller systems) and the New Republic as the main power in the galaxy but struggling to maintain peace due to the persistent Sith Loyalist attacks. Would've been a cool spin on the war, imo.

Yeah, can't say I'm a fan of it. Agree that the plot whips by and you barely have a chance to register what's happening. It has a lot of logic fails like TLJ. Might've been more, actually, I'm still trying to digest what I had seen.

I couldn't help but feel, after seeing the hundreds of Sith loyalists at the end, there's a much more interesting story involving them as the primary fighting force. They could've reversed the original trilogy by having the Sith portrayed as a sinister Rebel Alliance (small numbers, guerilla fighters, wrestling control from the New Republic in smaller systems) and the New Republic as the main power in the galaxy but struggling to maintain peace due to the persistent Sith Loyalist attacks. Would've been a cool spin on the war, imo.

And this is the Jar Jar Abrams way. They throw so much at you that its hard to form an opinion of what you just saw.

I wonder if they'll ever get Martin Scorsese to direct one of these movies ... :unsure:

It would be 4 or 5 hours long .. but I think we might get better character development ...

Of all the franchises to experiment, pump of identity politics and generally **** around.....

Saw it this weekend with the kids- we've seen all 3 of the past "trilogy" together on opening weekend. IMAX 3D because why not, don't go to the movies much (don't recall any scene being worth 3D though). I'm a pretty casual SW fan, so I've been able to sit down and shut off my brain and enjoy these movies for the most part (I did not seek any of the leaks or spoilers out prior to watching). Afterwards I leave the theater and read reviews and reddit and begin to see what all the fuss is about. But in the theater, I'm generally pretty well entertained.

I'll echo the common complaint that these 3 movies were an absolute mess when you try to put them together- what a wasted opportunity and tremendous screw up by Disiney- something that is almost unimaginable in this day in age (shouldn't talent be getting better at putting a story together?). But making movies is obviously hard. I get that they have to pander to the average moviegoer and (more so) their kids, and that they obviously wanted new "hero's" for this generation, but sheesh. At least acting wasn't an issue with these movies, in my opinion.

Episode IX was fine for what it was, and for what they had to work with, but yeah, it was lazy writing. It's too bad that 8 went off the rails, because I feel like someone at the mouse needed to pull out some Apple-style "courage" and decide that they needed 4 movies, not 3. Because Episode 9 was all over the place and would have benefited from a follow-up 10.

I'm glad we got more star wars, and I'll watch these movies again, but wow, what a missed opportunity to have really done something special- even within the framework of Rey/Kylo/Poe/Finn, etc.

Oh, and I was really surprised when we had a Saturday showing at 12:45 PM and the theater wasn't sold out. All the first 2 rows were empty, plus random open seats here and there. And it didn't fill up until the trailers (all 30 f-ing minutes of them!!!) started. Maybe because IMAX 3D, maybe because assigned seats this time, but still quite striking compared to the line we hopped in 90 minutes early for Episode 7.

Become a Patron!
Back