Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic Remake Reportedly Ditching Original’s Real-Time, Turned-Based Combat System

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
star-wars-knights-of-the-old-republic-key-art-1024x576.jpg
Image: BioWare

Aspyr Media, the rumored developer behind the upcoming remake of BioWare’s iconic Star Wars RPG, Knights of the Old Republic, is reportedly making big changes to the original’s game mechanics. This is according to YouTuber MrMattyPlays, whose sources claim that the remake will adopt a new combat system that makes it play more like an action RPG. The changes could be similar to what Square Enix did with its Final Fantasy VII Remake, which evolved its classic, turn-based ATB system into something that required more input from the user and played more aggressively.

This is an action RPG of some sort. They are walking away from that real-time, turn-based combat and doing something more along the lines of...

Continue reading...

This is actually something I might be interested in. When the game originally came out I didn't like that it was an RPG. After playing Mass Effect I warmed up to the idea, but kotor was just too dated to get into after ME.

This Youtuber is really banking on this attention right now, isn't he? I will believe it when we get something concrete. Until then these Youtubers can bugger off.

Isn't this the same guy who broke the "news" that ME:LEgendary edition comes out in 2 months last august?

Turn based was perfect for Kotor, Anything else would simply be a different game alltogether.
No problems if they turn it in to a more action type game tho. Different strokes.
RIP the RPG experience lol.

Turn based doesn't equate to the RPG experience. Mass Effect was just as much of an RPG as KOTOR without resorting to that. KOTOR's gameplay is simply dated by modern standards. A remake of it should ditch that system and play more like Mass Effect, but with lightsabers and blasters.

The hook for KotOR was that it was DnD rules in the Star Wars universe. Take Baldur's Gate, make it Star Wars, put it in a 3D engine. That's why it was real time w/ pause.

It can still be a good game with an altered combat system, just loses something.

The hook for KotOR was that it was DnD rules in the Star Wars universe. Take Baldur's Gate, make it Star Wars, put it in a 3D engine. That's why it was real time w/ pause.

It can still be a good game with an altered combat system, just loses something.

I have no attachment to Dungeons & Dragons rules being applied to Star Wars. In fact, that makes little sense to me. Real time with a pause feature never made sense to me and I don't think the game loses anything by going that route. If you are going to bring the game to a newer generation of gamers, it must change with the times. At least on a gameplay and technical level. I don't think the story or its content should be altered unless they really are going for an absolute and total remake. Which would also be fine.

Plenty of real time pause featured games out there with strong followings.
Not everything has to be shoot and loot.
Also plenty of 40+ aged gamers out there, not everything has to be targeted towards newer gens.

Either way, just my opinion as a person who really liked the original version and its gameplay.
People have different tastes. I think Fortnite sucks but millions would love to say I'm wrong.

Games evolve, I'd prefer a more modern combat system as well. Just because I've been playing games for a long time doesn't mean I want outdated mechanics in games.

Plenty of real time pause featured games out there with strong followings.
Not everything has to be shoot and loot.
Also plenty of 40+ aged gamers out there, not everything has to be targeted towards newer gens.

Either way, just my opinion as a person who really liked the original version and its gameplay.
People have different tastes. I think Fortnite sucks but millions would love to say I'm wrong.

There are, but most RPG games do not work that way. At least, not things within BioWare's own design lineage. Again, it makes sense from a commercial standpoint to make a game with as broad an appeal as possible for financial reasons. No, not everything has to be shoot and loot either, but I for one would appreciate more modern mechanics. For one thing, I didn't like the combat system of the original games all that much in the first place. I'm over 40, and I want a modern combat system.

Games evolve, I'd prefer a more modern combat system as well. Just because I've been playing games for a long time doesn't mean I want outdated mechanics in games.

Well said. To be fair, there are newer games that do this type of combat. The South Park games come to mind as RPG's that do this. However, Star Wars as a universe and a game setting is something I appreciate for its action more than anything. I wouldn't be totally turned off by something like the original combat system, although it wouldn't be my first choice. So long as the game's story and other elements come together I can deal with it, but if I were picking and choosing gameplay elements, I would never go with a KOTOR style combat system.

I liked VATS in Fallout3, but only because regular combat sucked big time. I wish they remade Fallout3 with Fallout4 combat, because I Always liked the xploration in F3 more, but the combat is so much better in F4 it's not even comparable.

So in the same vein Kotor's turn based combat might have been acceptable at the time, I'd prefer ME2 / ME3 style action in a remake.

As long as they don't got the FFXV route, that combat system sucked donkey balls it's a wonder I got trough that game just mashing buttons.

As long as they don't got the FFXV route, that combat system sucked donkey balls it's a wonder I got trough that game just mashing buttons.

I never played that one.

I never played that one.
It was one small step away from a straight up button masher. There was no real strategy to it - just smash buttons and kill stuff for the most part.

FFVII Remake took the basic concept and refined it a bit and made it more strategic. You could get through basic trash by just face rolling, but boss fights actually took some effort.

Tbh, I don't even remember how KOTOR worked, even though I finished it back then.
I am quite unhappy with treating turn based combat as if it can't have depth.

I find a Mass Effect approach much more appealing than turn based. I really didn't like it back then, it just doesn't make sense nowadays.

I have tried KOTOR games several times since it was released; everytime I got bored by the gameplay. I'm not saying its bad, there's a reason the series is still very popular today. It's just no my cup of tea. I always hoped for some sort of KOTOR/Jedi knight fusion. This might be a step in that direction.

Tbh, I don't even remember how KOTOR worked, even though I finished it back then.
I am quite unhappy with treating turn based combat as if it can't have depth.

I don't think anyone believes that such a system necessarily lacks depth. I think the combat in KOTOR isn't all that much fun because you make your choices and watch them play out. I don't feel as involved in a combat system like that. It's too much like Chess and there is nothing wrong with that, but that style of gameplay isn't for everyone. I'd go so far as to argue its not for the vast majority of gamers either.

I don't think anyone believes that such a system necessarily lacks depth. I think the combat in KOTOR isn't all that much fun because you make your choices and watch them play out. I don't feel as involved in a combat system like that. It's too much like Chess and there is nothing wrong with that, but that style of gameplay isn't for everyone. I'd go so far as to argue its not for the vast majority of gamers either.

At one time that gameplay made sense, for example there were plenty of turn based strategy games back in the day and it lasted for several years. Then RTS games like Warcraft and Starcraft pretty much killed them.

Become a Patron!
Back