Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic Remake Reportedly Ditching Original’s Real-Time, Turned-Based Combat System

At one time that gameplay made sense, for example there were plenty of turn based strategy games back in the day and it lasted for several years. Then RTS games like Warcraft and Starcraft pretty much killed them.

You had Command & Conquer and Dune, etc. well before that. In any case, I've always felt that turn based gameplay was a dated mechanic. At least by the time I got into computer gaming in the mid 1990's.

You had Command & Conquer and Dune, etc. well before that. In any case, I've always felt that turn based gameplay was a dated mechanic. At least by the time I got into computer gaming in the mid 1990's.
I agree.

I just figured it was a different style for different tastes, not necessarily anything to do with date. Some of the most action and twitch-intensive games I can think of game out of the arcades in the 80's and 90's, so I don't think it was necessarily lack of computing power.

I mean - some people like Chess. Some people play Doom. Nothing wrong with either really - just two very different games.

I think it's kind of hard to make a real time RPG so that the game is playable by a weak char as well as a end game char , you may not want to play the game as an fps iso an RPG, while I liked mass effect 2, 3 and andromeda, it is mostly an fps shooter with some upgrades.

Maybe they can go somewhat like swtor.

Well, yes. But SC and WC are commonly regarded as killing turn based gaming.
Anyway the fact is that I don't think there's a place for turn based gaming in this day and age. Maybe for mobile gaming, but yuck!!

Well, yes. But SC and WC are commonly regarded as killing turn based gaming.
Anyway the fact is that I don't think there's a place for turn based gaming in this day and age. Maybe for mobile gaming, but yuck!!

In fairness, Dune and C&C (same engine) were the progenitors of Warcraft III and Starcraft. Those were the ones that began the RTS craze if you can call it that. It was a niche style of game, but a popular one at the time. I'm not saying turn based gaming doesn't have a place, but for Star Wars, I want something more action packed that I can feel more involved in than I'd get with something turn based. A KOTOR remake done more in Mass Effect's style would be the best way to do that in my opinion.

The hook for KotOR was that it was DnD rules in the Star Wars universe. Take Baldur's Gate, make it Star Wars, put it in a 3D engine. That's why it was real time w/ pause.

It can still be a good game with an altered combat system, just loses something.
You can implement D&D rulesets in a real time game. Most games are already doing dice rolls and other things of that nature in the background in real time. Nothing says D&D rules equals turn-based combat. That being said, I would prefer they stick with the original system in a KotOR remake.

You can implement D&D rulesets in a real time game. Most games are already doing dice rolls and other things of that nature in the background in real time. Nothing says D&D rules equals turn-based combat. That being said, I would prefer they stick with the original system in a KotOR remake.

If it's the same exact game with updated graphics, it would make sense to keep the game as it is. If the game is a complete remake, then they should change it in my opinion.

I think Xcom has some following, as does the divinity series and some others.

But I'm sure no one would mind if they just remade those as squad shooters.......

I think Xcom has some following, as does the divinity series and some others.

But I'm sure no one would mind if they just remade those as squad shooters.......
I'm not sure if that is sarcasm, but we actually fantasised about playing xcom away missions as "real" games.

Become a Patron!
Back