Star Wars: Squadrons Isn’t Getting Any More Content

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
star-wars-squadrons-x-wing-front-1024x576.jpg
Image: EA Motive

Gamers who love to complain about being nickel-and-dimed may want to be careful what they wish for. As promised, EA Motive has confirmed that Star Wars: Squadrons (which was heavily advertised as being microtransaction-free) is getting zero new content. That means no new game modes and DLC, such as additional pilots, starfighters, and paint jobs.

“Never say never, so to speak, but as far as our philosophy goes we’re not trying to treat the game as a live service,” Creative Director Ian Frazier said in an interview with UploadVR. “We don’t want to say, ‘It’s almost done!’ and then dribble out more of it over time, which to be honest is how most games work these days. So we’ve tried to treat it in kind of an...

Continue reading...

I have zero problem with this. Now I'm more interested in getting this game!

The only way it would get better is opening it up to the Modder community to see what they can do with it. If anything it would promote more sales.

Modding would be fantastic for a game like this. It would be popular for years if handled like that. That said, its sad the game isn't getting more content as its pretty good at its core. I'd love to see more of it.

I'll have to find it again but I came across a gaming site the other night that listed 'all the iconic ships' not in the game.

There's a level of trust involved that EA... doesn't have, given that they usually have a customer service rating more or less equal to cable providers.
But I feel the way they did paid expansions for BF4 worked out pretty well on the gamer's side. Not sure how it worked out financially, but it's not a big ask especially with a lower-priced core game.

Here you go. Eight iconic missing ships from SW Squadrons courtesy of PCGamesN.
https://www.pcgamesn.com/star-wars-squadrons/missing-ships

That list is wrong for so many reasons. The B-Wing is about the only entry that would make some sense. The ARC-170 belongs in the Clone Wars era over 20 years prior to when the game's narrative takes place. None of that era's ships are in the game and that was intentional and made sense here. The B-Wing is literally the only thing on the list that makes sense to add though it overlaps its purpose with the Y-Wing. This is probably the main reason it wasn't added.

The E-Wing isn't a thing anymore as that ugly piece of **** was confined to the novels which took place after Return of the Jedi. Even so, we now know that in Disney canon, the X-Wing continued to get updated variants over the next 30 years. If the E-Wing existed at all, it never became prolific or never left the drawing board. It was an ugly ship that belonged in the trash anyway. As for the TIE variants, most of them are in the same boat with only the TIE Defender getting a version of sorts in Star Wars Rebels. The rest are basically non-canon ships which were created for the TIE Fighter video game back in the 1990's. Those were mostly created to add variations to a game which would otherwise only have four Imperial fighters without doing so.

But I feel the way they did paid expansions for BF4 worked out pretty well on the gamer's side.

Going to have so disagree that BF4 was good from a pair expansions side. My specific issue with it was that it required the entire group of people you were playing with to own all of the same expansions (and all of the expansions (aka maps) enabled within the server that you're playing). This made it tough to game with people that only had the base game.

That list is wrong for so many reasons. The B-Wing is about the only entry that would make some sense. The ARC-170 belongs in the Clone Wars era over 20 years prior to when the game's narrative takes place. None of that era's ships are in the game and that was intentional and made sense here. The B-Wing is literally the only thing on the list that makes sense to add though it overlaps its purpose with the Y-Wing. This is probably the main reason it wasn't added.

The E-Wing isn't a thing anymore as that ugly piece of **** was confined to the novels which took place after Return of the Jedi. Even so, we now know that in Disney canon, the X-Wing continued to get updated variants over the next 30 years. If the E-Wing existed at all, it never became prolific or never left the drawing board. It was an ugly ship that belonged in the trash anyway. As for the TIE variants, most of them are in the same boat with only the TIE Defender getting a version of sorts in Star Wars Rebels. The rest are basically non-canon ships which were created for the TIE Fighter video game back in the 1990's. Those were mostly created to add variations to a game which would otherwise only have four Imperial fighters without doing so.
I mostly agree. I would've like to have seen the Tie Defender in there though. I admit, haven't actually got the game, yet, but what about Darth Vader's Tie Fighter? How about a fully manned Correlian cargo ship? Slave I? I did like the joke about the Normany but that's another story. . .

Here's a better list.

https://screenrant.com/star-wars-squadrons-most-wanted-vehicles/

Tie Defender
Most likely would have been over-powered; at least as they were portrayed in the original Tie Fighter. Would have been cool if there were a way to balance them, like limiting their use etc.
Darth Vader's Tie Fighter
This was the Tie Advanced, which was more or less a 'Tie X-Wing' in terms of capability. Would have made a bit of sense to include if they didn't model a different equivalent!

Most likely would have been over-powered; at least as they were portrayed in the original Tie Fighter. Would have been cool if there were a way to balance them, like limiting their use etc.

This was the Tie Advanced, which was more or less a 'Tie X-Wing' in terms of capability. Would have made a bit of sense to include if they didn't model a different equivalent!

I agree that the TIE Defender was overpowered in the TIE Fighter game but that was a lot of the fun of it. It was also a dream to fly compared to any of the other fighters which is why I loved it. It would have been a good idea to include it in the game (which I don't own nor have I played.)

Darth Vader's TIE Fighter was basically a prototype which ended up eventually as the TIE Advanced. At the moment I don't remember if it was a literal prototype or simply a custom fighter Vader ordered for himself. It may not matter since whatever info I have would have been from years ago and likely was thrown out when they gutted the canon.

I agree that the TIE Defender was overpowered in the TIE Fighter game but that was a lot of the fun of it. It was also a dream to fly compared to any of the other fighters which is why I loved it. It would have been a good idea to include it in the game (which I don't own nor have I played.)

Darth Vader's TIE Fighter was basically a prototype which ended up eventually as the TIE Advanced. At the moment I don't remember if it was a literal prototype or simply a custom fighter Vader ordered for himself. It may not matter since whatever info I have would have been from years ago and likely was thrown out when they gutted the canon.

The TIE Advanced X1 is what Darth Vader's fighter is. That one is both an earlier prototype and a fighter he modified extensively. It is quite possibly related to the later TIE Advanced v1. These can be seen in Star Wars Rebels and if I am not mistaken, there is one flown by your squadron leader in the opening Imperial mission in Star Wars Squadrons.

This is so EA can say "Look, we did a game without microtransactions or loot boxes and people didn't like it!"
They made a mediocre game starved of content, with an abysmal campaign, and dubious design choices.
Yeah I can easily see EA doing that.

They made a mediocre game starved of content, with an abysmal campaign, and dubious design choices.
Yeah I can easily see EA doing that.

The basic combat and flight stuff isn't too bad. I have lots of thoughts on the game, but I'll tackle that another time.

I mostly agree. I would've like to have seen the Tie Defender in there though. I admit, haven't actually got the game, yet, but what about Darth Vader's Tie Fighter? How about a fully manned Correlian cargo ship? Slave I? I did like the joke about the Normany but that's another story. . .

Here's a better list.

https://screenrant.com/star-wars-squadrons-most-wanted-vehicles/

It isn't a better list. It actually makes less sense than the other one. At least the Normandy recommendation was amusing. That list has ships that are all freighters or things other than fighters. If we are talking about cameos then sure, I'd agree. The Lucrehulk-class droid control ship appearing in the game would only make sense if there was a mission that took place in a Clone Wars era ship graveyard. That would be fun, but it really doesn't belong there. It's the same thing with the Sequel Trilogy Star Destroyer. It just doesn't belong because it's the wrong **** era.

I want more crap I can fly myself. More fighters. I want B-Wings, a TIE Advanced, or some other stuff. There are quite a few designs from Star Wars Resistance I wouldn't mind seeing. That's a **** show, but at least it brought a lot more fighter designs into the mix.

The basic combat and flight stuff isn't too bad. I have lots of thoughts on the game, but I'll tackle that another time.
Isn't too bad is just not enough for me nowadays. Because it isn't too bad I managed to get to like mission 6 before saying enough to the idiotic squadmates and pointless missions. It might be OK as a multiplayer game, but you know me, I Don't do multiplayer.

Why would EA pass up a chance to nickle and dime us to death for paid DLC add on ships, etc

Become a Patron!
Back