Starlink Satellite Internet Speeds to Double in 2021

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
starlink-logo-globe-1024x576.jpg
Image: Starlink

SpaceX will double the speeds of its satellite internet service, Starlink, in 2021. The news was confirmed by CEO Elon Musk this morning, who told an inquiring fan to expect speeds of around 300 Mb/s later this year. He also promised that the latency of Starlink would drop to around 20 ms, a figure that’s already been noted in current marketing materials.

“During beta, users can expect to see data speeds vary from 50 Mb/s to 150 Mb/s and latency from 20ms to 40ms in most locations over the next several months as we enhance the Starlink system,” a FAQ on the official website reads. “There will also be brief periods of no connectivity at all.”

“As we launch more satellites, install more ground stations and improve our networking software, data speed...

Continue reading...

Quite honestly, if they can get me 300+ mbps with 20-30 ms of latency I will have no qualms building a house wherever the hell I **** well please. Internet was one of the biggest hurdles I've been facing when it comes to buying a large plot of land to build on. No **** internet, or ridiculous amounts of money to have a cable or fiber company build out to it.

Quite honestly, if they can get me 300+ mbps with 20-30 ms of latency I will have no qualms building a house wherever the hell I **** well please. Internet was one of the biggest hurdles I've been facing when it comes to buying a large plot of land to build on. No **** internet, or ridiculous amounts of money to have a cable or fiber company build out to it.
You know this is a **** good point. If I were building out communities I would be looking to starlink hard now to get timeliness.

Being able to have 300mb connections at a custom community without forking out millions for dedicated fiber loops.. sounds like a win to me.

You know this is a **** good point. If I were building out communities I would be looking to starlink hard now to get timeliness.

Being able to have 300mb connections at a custom community without forking out millions for dedicated fiber loops.. sounds like a win to me.

We're looking for 10+ acres. Power is never the problem. Water can come from a well. Sewer can go in to septic. But internet, jeebus save me. We looked at a house a couple years ago. The only internet there was DSL. Now, .37 miles up the road was fiber. The ISP wanted $80,000 to run fiber that .38 miles. Then we found a 14 acre lot we were interested in. Spectrum wanted $270,000 to run service to it.

Once Starlink expands their service more south we'll start looking again. Because dealing with local ISP's won't even be on the table anymore.

Of course starlink is going to be more prone to weather. Hmm... not all good.

With my crap cable, i would consider starlink

This will be great if they can get the coverage down to TX. I would love to move outside of the city and away from the millions. But most rural areas I've looked at (new big lot communities, mind you) have jack all for internet.

We're looking for 10+ acres. Power is never the problem. Water can come from a well. Sewer can go in to septic. But internet, jeebus save me. We looked at a house a couple years ago. The only internet there was DSL. Now, .37 miles up the road was fiber. The ISP wanted $80,000 to run fiber that .38 miles. Then we found a 14 acre lot we were interested in. Spectrum wanted $270,000 to run service to it.

Once Starlink expands their service more south we'll start looking again. Because dealing with local ISP's won't even be on the table anymore.
Over the years I've lived in some semi-rural areas and seen the same kinds of costs. Hearing this gives me hope for the future because in maybe 10 years or so I could see us selling our house and moving back out to the country somewhere. Anything between 150-300 and I'd be happy if the price is right. We get over three hundred days of sun a year so weather isn't much of a concern.

Become a Patron!
Back