Steam Controller Fire Sale: Valve Selling Discontinued Controller for $5 (Plus Shipping)

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
PC gamers who want to get their hands on a Steam Controller better hit up Valve's store right away. It's currently being sold for the astoundingly low price of $5, which means that inventory is flying off the shelves (Notice: Limited quantity remaining). Time is of the essence because there will be no restock: The Verge has confirmed that this is the last batch that will be made. (Could a new version be coming?)

Experience a new level of precise control for your favorite games. The Steam Controller lets you play your entire collection of Steam games on your TV—even the ones designed without controller support in mind. The Steam Controller features dual trackpads, HD haptic feedback, dual-stage triggers, back grip buttons, and fully-customizable control schemes. Find your favorite mappings in the Steam Community, or create and share your own.

Tempting but can't bring myself to do it. Still using my X Box 360 controller.

Edit: Bought a few games and added the controller along with them. Too cheap to pass up I guess.

Last edited:
Yeah, can't say I was ever a huge fan of the controller. I bought it, figuring I could find a comfortable way to play non-gamepad friendly MMOs from the couch and never did find a comfort zone with it.

I did prefer the trackpad and its haptic feedback for first person aiming over an analogue stick. I can't help but feel it was a revision or two away from greatness, tbh. Enlarge those face buttons, replace the left haptic button for a standard d-pad or analogue stick - I dunno, feels like Valve gave up on it pretty quick.

Thanks for the heads up.

I don't really like controllers very much. My normal philosophy is that controllers have no business ever being connected to a PC. But at this price I figured why not. Maybe I could use them with emulators or something. I grabbed a couple.

I have way more than enough controllers to use on PC already, but for this price I figured why the **** not. I did the same thing with the Steam Link hardware when they sold their final stock for $10, and that **** has actually been surprisingly useful in some situations.
I grabbed a couple.
How did you do that? They only let me buy one. I tried to add more than one to my cart and they said nope.

I have way more than enough controllers to use on PC already, but for this price I figured why the **** not. I did the same thing with the Steam Link hardware when they sold their final stock for $10, and that **** has actually been surprisingly useful in some situations.

How did you do that? They only let me buy one. I tried to add more than one to my cart and they said nope.

I bought one.

Then I thought, at this price I really ought to get another.

So I went back and ordered a second.

Paid shipping twice which kind of sucked, but it allowed me to order a second one.

Then I thought, at this price I really ought to get another.

So I went back and ordered a second.

Paid shipping twice which kind of sucked, but it allowed me to order a second one.
Aaaaahhhh okay, gotcha. I was hoping to get more than one during a single order, so that the shipping cost would be less painful. I certainly don't want to make a second order and pay shipping again.

Yeah, can't say I was ever a huge fan of the controller. I bought it, figuring I could find a comfortable way to play non-gamepad friendly MMOs from the couch and never did find a comfort zone with it.

I did prefer the trackpad and its haptic feedback for first person aiming over an analogue stick. I can't help but feel it was a revision or two away from greatness, tbh. Enlarge those face buttons, replace the left haptic button for a standard d-pad or analogue stick - I dunno, feels like Valve gave up on it pretty quick.
My experience almost exactly. I was trying with RTS games and no go for me.

I have one already, and a couple of Steam Links. I never really liked the controller except for Xwing or a racing sim.

Yeah I've used the controller before and didn't really care for it, never had any desire to get one, but now it was cheap enough to grab it as a curiosity for my hardware collection and as something to **** around with. I certainly won't be using it in place of any of the far superior real controllers I already own and use.

Mine still shows in the "processing" stage. Seems like a lot of people had theirs cancelled as they sold out.

Mine still shows in the "processing" stage. Seems like a lot of people had theirs cancelled as they sold out.

You'd think these companies would actually have inventory management systems and stop taking orders once they run out...

It isn't rocket science.

Mine shipped. Not quite sure what I am going to do with them. I just ordered because they were cheap, and I thought they might be fun to play with.

You'd think these companies would actually have inventory management systems and stop taking orders once they run out...

It isn't rocket science.

Mine shipped. Not quite sure what I am going to do with them. I just ordered because they were cheap, and I thought they might be fun to play with.

I agree. Had this happen when Sam's club had a big sale and cancelled my order due to insufficient inventory.

Same situation happened when they unloaded the Links for cheap.

I made my purchase on November 27, no cancellation notice so far. Haven't gotten a shipping notice yet either though.

Just got notification that the controller is being prepared to ship.

Become a Patron!
Back