Steam Hardware Survey Shows Less than 50 Percent of Users Using Quad-Core CPUs

Peter_Brosdahl

Staff member
steam-logo-1024x576.jpg
Image: Intel

It has been 15 years since the first introduction of the Intel Core 2 Quad and AMD Phenom single-wafer quad-core CPUs in 2007. These processors helped usher in a new level of gaming and computing performance that helped define an era. Enthusiasts from around the world would continue focusing on overclocking each new generation as they were released.

Over the years, the once niche market for aftermarket CPU cooling would explode to include a plethora of air- and liquid-cooling options never seen before in the consumer PC market. Along with other components, enthusiasts found themselves with the ability to reach new speeds from this next level of multicore CPUs. From off-the-shelf to homebuilt, the internet is filled with stories of what people have managed to achieve with them. In turn, professional overclockers began using exotic solutions such as LN2 to push the processors...

Continue reading...

No doubt this number will change when Steam Deck is out in the hands of the masses. I believe that thing has a quad-core Zen 2 CPU.

So this means we can use Steam numbers for GPU market share too? ;)
Yep according to them the GTX 1060 is still the most popular one. Probably explains why so many people around the world are desperate to get a 30 series or 6000 series card. LOL!

I admit that I finally, for the last time, retired my old 2600K over the summer. Still runs like a champ but even at 4.3 GHz that thing was having a tough time with the games I play when trying to go over 144 FPS. Granted, I know I'm still a ways from the ceiling with that thing as we've all heard stories of 4.5 to over 5 GHz, but at that point there's other factors to take into account to achieve it. I was just using an old Hyper 212 on it. I also got one of those old core2quad processors in a rig in the closet next to my old P4 Prescot build. I'll always look back at those rigs with good memories though but that 2600K rig was a record breaker for me for its longevity and adaptability for over a decade.

Meanwhile I've still got an old 4930K for 4K gaming and other projects in the cave. I've got it running at a modest 4.3 GHz as well and that 6c/12t processor is starting to show its age too. Still works well but I can absolutely see a difference when playing the same games on the 3700X rig and both of them have 3090s. However, that's where their similarity ends. Not to mention that 3700X is far more power efficient.

I admit that I finally, for the last time, retired my old 2600K over the summer.
My friend built his 2600K machine in 2011, and while he did replace it with an X570 machine in 2019, the Sandy Bridge one is still in service. Whenever I go to his house to do some multiplayer/co-op gaming, I use his Sandy Bridge system. Sh1t is still very capable. I imagine it won't get used so much anymore if one of us gets a Steam Deck though.

I'll always look back at those rigs with good memories though but that 2600K rig was a record breaker for me for its longevity and adaptability for over a decade.
D4mn straight.

I've still got a i7 920 running at my office - going on 14? years now. I admit though, Sandy was a big jump over Nehalem so it wasn't quite as big of a thing. My Nehalem gaming rig got upgraded with a 4790 (5ghz on air my ***, but it was still a nice chip), but if I had a Sandy I probably wouldn't have jumped on Haswell.

I wonder if Skylake will go down as well regarded - it had almost half a dozen respins and +++'s and still exists in E-cores in Alder Lake

Last edited:
Become a Patron!
Back