Steam Survey Shows Windows 10 Continues to Be the Preferred OS of Gamers as Windows 11 Loses Ground

At some point we'll run out of workarounds and it will be too late to speak out by then. Not to mention that some workarounds are more inconvenient than the problem they are supposed to fix. I guess you can still do it out of principle, but I'd rather not be waging war against the OS in the first place.

At some point we'll run out of workarounds and it will be too late to speak out by then. Not to mention that some workarounds are more inconvenient than the problem they are supposed to fix. I guess you can still do it out of principle, but I'd rather not be waging war against the OS in the first place.
This is becoming my opinion. I'm thinking my next built will be my first full time Linux gaming desktop and I'll just have a Windows VM for the off times when I need to do something there.

This is becoming my opinion. I'm thinking my next built will be my first full time Linux gaming desktop and I'll just have a Windows VM for the off times when I need to do something there.
I've been seriously considering Linux on my next rig also.
I started messing around with Linux in the mid-2000s, but it was always a side OS for me, just for f*cking around in. However in 2022 I decided I finally had enough of Windows, and I switched to maining Linux. Been one of the best decisions of my life. The last Windows OS I mained was Win7. Honestly I have been surprised by how much gaming I can get done in Linux. I still keep Win10 around via dual-boot, but I treat it like a game console. I mainly boot into Win10 to game, or for the very few programs that I need to run natively in Windows, not in a VM or via WINE. My brother wants to go a different route and keep separate systems, one as his main PC running Linux (he's been maining Linux since forever), and another as a gaming PC running Windows. For now he dual-boots, same as me.

If you guys wanna try maining Linux on your next gaming rigs, I encourage you to give it a whirl. I myself plan to go all-in for Linux gaming on my next build. On my previous and current systems, I'm still in the testing phase. I try to do as much gaming as I can in Linux, only going to Win10 if I really need the performance and/or compatibility. Yeah there are issues from time to time, but on the whole I've been pleasantly surprised. Shiat, with some games I've actually had a better experience in Linux. For example, my brother and I couldn't get Halo MCC campaign LAN co-op working in Win10, but it worked with no issues in Linux! Valve and Proton have shouldered a large amount of the weight of getting gaming going on Linux, and ironically I've found in some cases it's just much easier to run the Windows version of a game in Proton rather than trying to get the native Linux version working.

One thing that is still a thorn in my side is X11 on multi-display setups with high-refresh-rate monitors. Since X11 treats all displays as one display, my 165Hz monitor is stuck at 60Hz for gaming, unless I disable or turn off the side monitors before launching the game. It seems nVidia is finally getting their Wayland game together, and I look forward to exploring gaming on that when I finally move to the newer nVidia drivers and the Plasma 6.1 desktop environment. Something I have been very curious about for a while is gaming performance in a Windows VM via GPU-passthrough. I need to test that out at some point.

The multiple monitor issue you are experiencing is troubling to me since I run triple displays with high refresh rates myself.

I intend to run two, complete systems though. I will keep my current system on Windows 10, but my new build will be Linux and it's what I'll start using when that time comes. Just waiting on the new Nvidia GPUs to come out.

The multiple monitor issue you are experiencing is troubling to me since I run triple displays with high refresh rates myself.
Yeah it would be an issue on my current rig, as I have 2 4K monitors - one at 60, one at 144... but it would just be an excuse to get new monitors too, so... LG OLED time!

I started messing around with Linux in the mid-2000s, but it was always a side OS for me, just for f*cking around in. However in 2022 I decided I finally had enough of Windows, and I switched to maining Linux. Been one of the best decisions of my life. The last Windows OS I mained was Win7. Honestly I have been surprised by how much gaming I can get done in Linux. I still keep Win10 around via dual-boot, but I treat it like a game console. I mainly boot into Win10 to game, or for the very few programs that I need to run natively in Windows, not in a VM or via WINE. My brother wants to go a different route and keep separate systems, one as his main PC running Linux (he's been maining Linux since forever), and another as a gaming PC running Windows. For now he dual-boots, same as me.
I've been aware of linux since the mid 90s, I somehow got hold of a Suse Linux install disc, so I tried it, as this was the era I literally tried everything I got my hands on including shareware utils. I honestly don't remember if I even successfully got past the installation.

My next experience with linux came in the mid 2000s, when I had to use it for work. It was Redhat Linux this time. I still have nightmares about the pains of installing nvidia drivers. It actually felt like a huge achievement to get it working. TBH I hated using linux, I'd only boot into it when absolutely must and go back to windows as fast as I could. I ended up moving it to wmware so I could easily access it from windows. After the project that required linux had ended I was happy to forget about linux.

Next up early 2010s when I got into a different position (against my will) I had to set up multiple servers for various purposes on CentOS. It didn't have to be CentOS, that's just what I landed on after doing cursory research. Frankly this is my favorite linux distro I've used. And this is where I think linux shines, being a headless server OS. For all I know those servers I set up 10+ years ago are still ticking somewhere.

If you guys wanna try maining Linux on your next gaming rigs, I encourage you to give it a whirl. I myself plan to go all-in for Linux gaming on my next build. On my previous and current systems, I'm still in the testing phase. I try to do as much gaming as I can in Linux, only going to Win10 if I really need the performance and/or compatibility. Yeah there are issues from time to time, but on the whole I've been pleasantly surprised. Shiat, with some games I've actually had a better experience in Linux. For example, my brother and I couldn't get Halo MCC campaign LAN co-op working in Win10, but it worked with no issues in Linux! Valve and Proton have shouldered a large amount of the weight of getting gaming going on Linux, and ironically I've found in some cases it's just much easier to run the Windows version of a game in Proton rather than trying to get the native Linux version working.
But digressions aside, I don't think I could tolerate linux as my primary desktop. There are always unforeseen problems especially with more niche HW. But the main thing I hate about it and will probably never get used to is the lack of drive letters. The way linux handles storage will never not be alien to me. I can deal with it when setting up a server, but I couldn't tolerate it daily.

I understand that gaming is possible now on linux, and that's great, but I'm old and lazy and if there is just one game that I need dual boot for, then I know I'd rather not be playing it than go through the trouble of booting into another OS. And then there are the apps I use 99% of which have no linux versions. So even if I tried the linux desktop it would just split my computing in half. Half the things I can do under it, the other half I can't. Which means I'd probably just stick to using windows daily even if I had linux installed as dual boot.
One thing that is still a thorn in my side is X11 on multi-display setups with high-refresh-rate monitors. Since X11 treats all displays as one display, my 165Hz monitor is stuck at 60Hz for gaming, unless I disable or turn off the side monitors before launching the game.
That's no thorn, that's the whole **** tree.

Yeah it would be an issue on my current rig, as I have 2 4K monitors - one at 60, one at 144... but it would just be an excuse to get new monitors too, so... LG OLED time!

Mine are 3x 165Hz, 4K monitors. Would be a real bummer if they maxed out at 60Hz when using them on Linux.

Mine are 3x 165Hz, 4K monitors. Would be a real bummer if they maxed out at 60Hz when using them on Linux.
With X11 you are limited by the monitor that has the lowest refresh rate. Since all 3 of your displays are 165Hz, then you should be fine. But I have one monitor that is 165Hz and the other two are 60Hz, which means the highest I get when gaming on the 165Hz display is 60Hz. I have to turn off/disable the 60Hz monitors in order to get 165Hz on the primary display.

Another X11 limitation: no color processing higher than 8 bpc. That means no 10 bpc, no 12 bpc, and no HDR.

Yeah it would be an issue on my current rig, as I have 2 4K monitors - one at 60, one at 144
Then yeah, you'd have the same problem as me on X11. The 144Hz monitor would be limited to 60Hz during gaming unless you disable the 60Hz display.

But the main thing I hate about it and will probably never get used to is the lack of drive letters. The way linux handles storage will never not be alien to me.
Agree with you 100% there.

That's no thorn, that's the whole **** tree.
Hahahahaha, it sure feels like it!

Last edited:
Become a Patron!
Back