stupid huge 57" Samsung Odyssey Neo G9 240hz monitor on "sale" for $1800

7680 x 2160.... so this is like 2 x 32" 4K monitors?
Nothing wrong with that, it'd be much worse if it were 1440p as you'd want to have high enough resolution to run scaling... to make up for the poor pixel structure of Samsung's VA panels.

Not saying that the panels don't look stellar when you do use scaling, they absolutely do.

Yes. I have one and it is awesome.
I have a 43" 4K for my prod system and I love it. I don't know that I would love the extra wideness? Also.... my thing was like $400, this is $1800. I have a 32" 4K for work and it is barely big enough, too many windows open. I could see the benefit of the G9 for work productivity, but it's not made for that, it's made for gaming....... I dunno man. Now if I could see in person a rig like this where it was 2 x 43" 4K curved.... I might be intrigued

Yes. I have one and it is awesome.
Could you do me a favor and relay the actual chord width (i.e., side to side across the curve)? Is it really 52+ inches wide?

Spec sheet says this:
1710707767932.png

I was looking at one of these lately, but I'm not sure if it will fit the monitor space within the hutch that sits on top of my computer desk. Obviously I can measure my desk's hutch opening width, but manufacturers sometimes exaggerate or misrepresent actual physical dimensions. It's good to know someone who actually has one.

Thanks in advance.

I'm not a fan of curved monitors. Maybe if the only thing I did was gaming or looked at awkward spreadsheets all day long.

But for a pure, gaming only setup I bet it's pretty immersive.

I'm not a fan of curved monitors.
Same here. I used to have a Samsung C27HG70 which had an 1800R curvature. It was awesome for FPS games. I absolutely hated it for everything else. I sold it after about 8 months. I returned to flat and have been very happy since. I also learned that I definitely prefer IPS over VA panels.

Curved monitors also absolutely suck when you want to use portrait mode.

The more gently-curved ones just feel natural.
Apparently an 1800R curvature matches the curve of human vision. It did feel very natural when playing first-person games. It was incredibly immersive. It felt like my eyeballs were being sucked into the monitor, like my own vision was melding with it. It was neat and interesting. But yeah like I said, curved monitors suck for everything else. I don't exclusively play FPS games, nor do I game 24/7. I do other sh1t with my PC and my time, so a curved monitor wasn't gonna work out for my life.

I'm not a fan of curved monitors. Maybe if the only thing I did was gaming or looked at awkward spreadsheets all day long.

I switch back and forth between my flat LG C2 and my Alienware curved monitor and honestly have no preference to either other than the C2 is just a better picture overall.

I think it makes a certain amount of sense on these super-wide monitors. For something like my Acer Predator CG47K, it wouldn't make sense.

My latest wacky ideal monitor spec is actually more along the lines of 32:10. My new laptop is 16:10, 2560x1600 and I've really enjoyed gaming with that. At 18" that panel is really crisp in terms of PPI. I didn't think I would but it's a blast. I'd be happy with 40-45" 32:10, don't care if curved or not, OLED HDR1000 ~120-144Hz G-Sync. It'll never happen but a man can dream. I've thought about getting either two 22 or 24 inch panels and slapping them together but I haven't seen any that match all the specs, yet.

I've mostly enjoyed the CRG9. It took a while for me to understand how to configure it for HDR and then a while longer for GPUs to catch up to use it's resolution/frame rate potential but these days I usually have a lot of fun with it when I'm in the mood.

Become a Patron!
Back