T-Mobile to Acquire Ryan Reynolds’ Mint Mobile for $1.35 Billion

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
The budget wireless provider best known for being owned by Deadpool star Ryan Reynolds is getting bought out by the second-largest wireless carrier in the U.S. T-Mobile announced today that it has entered into a definitive agreement to acquire Ka’ena Corporation and its subsidiaries and brands, which include Mint Mobile, a successful direct-to-consumer (D2C) prepaid wireless brand in the U.S. that counts Reynolds as its owner (and subscriber); Ultra Mobile, a unique wireless service offering international calling options to communities across the country; and wholesaler Plum in a deal that's worth up to $1.35 billion. Reynolds will continue on in his creative role on behalf of Mint, T-Mobile confirmed.

See full article...

So i had metro pcs, T-Mobile took it over, the service went down the tubes immediately dramatically. Now I have mint mobile, which uses T-Mobile network, but I am sure they will work hard to make it even worse. I assume they can de prioritize things or something, idea being to try to convert to T-Mobile more expensive tiers.

Last edited:
I know it sounds a bit fanboy. But if the service turns to crap, I'm fairly confident Ryan Reynolds would have no qualms about burning them down some online. He's already made his... 337,500,000 in net worth spike. Sure some of that is in T-Mobile stock.

I had great service with Sprint for many years, until T-Mobile bought them.
I think they do weird stuff, perhaps accounting games, make the new acquisition not perform for reasons... I don't know, but, may I ask, was the decline in service dramatic?. For me it was dramatic.. I mean a very steep nose dive...but oh hey you are getting 4more gb of data! Free! Or some such like this, they did.... sure 4 gb or whatever, in the brand new disastrous service. I am talking dropped calls, absent internet, calls not going in too! Crap I havent experienced in so many years with ANY cellphone service.
I can only imagine its accounting games , or wanting to move you to higher tiers, but thats would be a stupid strategy thinking about it, who will want MORE or a garbage service. It must be accounting bs games, tax write off trickery or something. Im sure they can de prioritize service at will, so it would be just a matter of telling the system to do so, and then, you have horrible service overnight.

...may I ask, was the decline in service dramatic?
The quality and reliability of voice calls, and SMS and MMS delivery, took a definite hit (especially when talking to/messaging people on the other side of the USA). I try to rely on WiFi calling when I can as a result, and I can never really be sure if my text messages are all getting through. I have problems both receiving and reliably sending SMS/MMS messages. On the other hand, I must admit that 4G and 5G coverage is a lot better on T-Mobile, whereas on Sprint I rarely ever saw 4G, especially around where I live, and regardless of 3G or 4G the service was crap. On Sprint I had unlimited data, which they evventually stopped supporting, but my account was so old I was grandfathered in. T-Mobile has at least kept that going. However I rarely do anything Internet-related on my phone. I use my phone mainly for voice calls and SMS/MMS (well and taking pictures, but my current phone's camera sucks). Overall the Internet side of the cellular service has gotten better, but the phone side has gotten worse. There are other aspects about being on T-Mobile that are worse as well (customer service is definitely @ss). I won't get into all of it here, but in general I see the switch from Sprint to T-Mobile as a downgrade. At least T-Mobile gave me a new phone for free when they shut down the Sprint network (cuz my previous phone. Galaxy Note 4, wouldn't work with their network). The downside is, free phone is a crappy slow phone. I mean it's not bad for a free phone (Galaxy A32), but definitely a major step down from the much older Note 4. I had a lot less complaints when I was on Sprint than now on T-Mobile.

I am talking dropped calls, absent internet, calls not going in too! Crap I havent experienced in so many years with ANY cellphone service.
Yeah, that about sums up my experience with T-Mobile too.

I've never dealt with T-Mobile but I have a co-worker who lives out in the middle of nowhere and for a while they had great things to say but around a month ago something happened and they've said service has totally tanked. My experiences has primarily been with Verizon or AT&T and although there are differences it ends up being about a draw between the two for me.

Become a Patron!
Back