Tesla Beginning Subscription Based Connectivity for Top Tier Services

Peter_Brosdahl

Staff member
tesla-1024x576.jpg

Welcome to the era of subscription based services for your auto. Owners that either ordered on, or after, July 1st 2018 will now have a pay option for their connectivity services. They will, however, have the option to try this premium package for free for 30 days. After that it’s $10 a month or $120 for the year.

The good news is that the difference between the tiers isn’t that big and if you could afford a Tesla then another $120 per year probably won’t be much to consider. Live traffic visualizations and satellite maps will be missing from the basic package. Additionally, you’ll need to use WiFi in order to access various streaming functions.

In an age where just about anything can consume data it’s no big surprise that something like this could happen. Data usage is costly and we can only imagine how much is being used by Tesla owners or their vehicles.

Last edited:
Well, I would assume they would include it if you get starlink. Is starlink ready yet? How about now?.... And now?. Pre-orders live yet? Hehehh
I thought getting starlink done, a big reason was to give the Tesla fleet always on connectivity at high speed, but bypassing the 5g network.
Isn't subscription cars kind of old by now... I thought GM did along the same lines with onstar? Well I eman at least the money part, I think services are radically different of course.

Same thing happened for my new Volvo.

Sure, I expected to pay for the connection, or to pop in my own SIM card (which I did) but to pay an extra subscription fee to access features such as remote start/lock and location seems flabbergasting to me.

I got my free one year trial for the Volvo system, but I don't think I can make myself renew after that. it's not a matter of the money. This just goes against everything I believe in.

Just as I refuse to subscribe to software, I refuse to subscribe to features on a car. I bought it, it should all be included.

Soon the car will become the loss leader for the "services".

Become a Patron!
Back