The 10 Most Influential CPUs of All Time

Peter_Brosdahl

Staff member
Anyone got a TLDR?

1693262180034.png

I know, I should support them, but I'm not gonna monkey around with my stuff to do that.

Just an interesting article.

I tend to find this kind of stuff a fun read. I may not fully agree with it but you gotta love seeing the good old 2600K in there. As a former Atari 80s era computer owner I would wholly include the 6502 and whatever was in the Commodore 64 (I used to know but have since forgotten) along with that of the Apple IIe and TI99 4A.

https://www.howtogeek.com/the-10-most-influential-cpus-of-all-time/?utm_source=pocket-newtab-en-us
The C64 had a MOS6510 which is a modified 6502.

Just scanned through the top ten. Some honorable mentions about processors that pioneered new tech from Citrix would have been nice.

Motorola got a mention but nothing on Nvidia or SUN?

This was a very consumer oriented posting with no deeper dive into foundational computer systems at all. No mention of AS400 or RS6000 SOC's at all.

It's almost like most advanced systems of the day were not even brought up to mention. Our compute experience has changed a lot but so much of it is trickle down from the modern big systems of the day and to just leave them out completely is kind of a headscratcher.

It's like someone asked a gamer to make this list and they never once thought of where and how the tech came to the desktop.

Just scanned through the top ten. Some honorable mentions about processors that pioneered new tech from Citrix would have been nice.

Motorola got a mention but nothing on Nvidia or SUN?

This was a very consumer oriented posting with no deeper dive into foundational computer systems at all. No mention of AS400 or RS6000 SOC's at all.

It's almost like most advanced systems of the day were not even brought up to mention. Our compute experience has changed a lot but so much of it is trickle down from the modern big systems of the day and to just leave them out completely is kind of a headscratcher.

It's like someone asked a gamer to make this list and they never once thought of where and how the tech came to the desktop.
Agreed on all. I think it's a great topic and usually enjoy it when it comes up but I too was shocked at the directions they went with. Clickbait stuff but still nice to reminisce about.

How strange, I've got some blockers and got through. That's a bummer.
Yeah I dunno. I even tried turning off the ad blocker and got this:

1693582910404.png

It was a different message, so progress? It wouldn't load until I disabled pihole... and by that point I wasn't all that interested in the article any more, it was just an exercise to see what was causing the message.

After at least glancing through the article since I went to all this trouble to load it - yeah... I agree with most here. Horrible article done by someone with absolutely no historical knowledge of computing. I'm sad I went to any trouble beyond clicking a link to read it.

Yeah I dunno. I even tried turning off the ad blocker and got this:

View attachment 2657

It was a different message, so progress? It wouldn't load until I disabled pihole... and by that point I wasn't all that interested in the article any more, it was just an exercise to see what was causing the message.

After at least glancing through the article since I went to all this trouble to load it - yeah... I agree with most here. Horrible article done by someone with absolutely no historical knowledge of computing. I'm sad I went to any trouble beyond clicking a link to read it.
I totally get it. There's a couple of European gaming/tech sites we sometimes reference for stories that have given me grief over the years with similar messages regardless of Chrome/FF or whatever else I had in the background and even after jumping through hoops I still had problems. Recently most have been playing nicely but I know what you mean.

Become a Patron!
Back