The Callisto Protocol Is Not Expected to Meet Its Target of Selling Five Million Units, Putting the Release of a Sequel Game in Doubt

Peter_Brosdahl

Staff member
The Callisto Protocol is not expected to meet its target goal which is now casting doubts about a sequel game getting made. A report on M-K-Odyssey (via DSOG) shows that its publisher, Krafton, paid Striking Distance Studios $162 million over the course of three years to develop the action-horror space game.

See full article...

They failed at the inception phase imho. The sales pitch of this game basically sounded like this to me:

"Hey, do you want an off brand Dead Space?"

I never heard why should I be interested in this game beyond that. "We made Dead Space, and we are making another game, are you in?" No, tell me about the game first, don't tell me that you made a good game once upon a time.

It's as if Remedy promoted Alan Wake by saying: We made Max Payne, and we will make another game. That's not something you build your entire marketing on, that's something that appears in the third paragraph as a BTW.

A horror game with jump scares that is mostly melee combat? Just watching it was boring and repetitive. Toss in technical issues at the start on PC and forget about it.

I got it for xmas for ps5. It's Dead Space inside a space prison... and so far, yeah, handgun ammunition is pretty scarce so it's a lot of "beat the space zombie with the club, until a button prompt appears for you to make a headshot".

So far I am very underwhelmed by this game, I am happy I did not pay money for it.

I wanted to get into this game but the way that it's launched has totally left me avoiding it, for now. I just hope that the DS remake launch goes well and I hope those folks are paying close attention to this in regard to what not to do for it.

I also hope that Glen and co. can learn from mistakes made with this game and are able to salvage the business to continue with more projects. I think SDS still has potential but this launch has dealt them a significant blow in moving forward.

Become a Patron!
Back